Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HITCHCOCK: Open matte Psycho?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HITCHCOCK: Open matte Psycho?

Last edited by Lemmy; 01-11-11 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HITCHCOCK: Open matte Psycho?

As far as I know, all DVD releases have the theatrical ratio only. The VHS releases I believe had the open matte.

My thoughts on this is that almost all films are shot open matte, but my preference is to have the original theatrical ratio presented first and foremost on DVD/Blu. Now, if they want to put the open-matte of a film on a release as a bonus, that's all fine and well, just never at the expense of the theatrical ratio. Of course, a lot of films aren't protected open-matte, with boom mikes showing, etc., if they were to release a film on DVD that way.

Being that Psycho was apparently protected for the open-matte, then I'd be all for it being put on a release as a bonus. However, the ratio wasn't changed for the Blu release, as 1.85 was/is the common ratio for American releases, and I think for many areas of the world, not counting the wider 2.35 films. And if I'm not mistaken, 1.66 was/is the ratio for European theatres.

Scott

Last edited by AlwaysOAR; 06-14-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Composer Bernard Herrmann said once in an interview that Hitchcock was disappointed in PSYCHO and wanted to sell it straight to TV (which would have used the open-matte version), but that Herrmann convinced him he could do something interesting with the music to enhance the film. And he did. Don't know how true that is. The interview was late in Herrmann's life long after his falling-out with Hitchcock over TORN CURTAIN. (Truffaut, a longtime Hitchcock fan and interviewer of hime, then took advantage of the falling-out and hired Herrmann for FAHRENHEIT 451 and THE BRIDE WORE BLACK and the rest is history.)
Old 06-16-10, 05:05 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Lemmy, the guy in that link is a nut. He's compaining that the aspect ratio is reproducing the 1.85:1 ratio that the film was originally released in in 1960 and he's saying he'd prefer the open matte 1.33 television version. Jesus some people are never happy.

His screenshot examples all show so much fucking head room that he sinks his own arguement.

OAR: It's not about more picture or less picture; it's about the right picture.
Old 06-17-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I can't help but find that linked article humorous. I mean, here's one of the arguments for the full frame version:
For instance the curved speedometer is illuminated beneath the windscreen-wiper -- only the moulding is visible as a dark region on the DVD. You might also never realize that the steering wheel has an inner concentric chromium horn
So seeing the speedometer and horn in the car adds that much to the pleasure of watching the movie? lol