Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

British Hitchcock?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

British Hitchcock?

Old 06-03-10, 01:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
British Hitchcock?

Has anybody heard if there are plans to release more major studio releases of any of Hitchcock's British films?

Unless I missed something, there's only been the Fox/MGM releases of The Lodger, Young and Innocent, and Sabotage along with Criterion's releases of The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

I know they're all not great from a non-film student point of view, but there's a few more truly enjoyable entries in the other 14 or 15 of his British films.
Old 06-03-10, 01:44 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: British Hitchcock?

The Alfred Hitchcock Box Set (The Ring / The Manxman / Murder! / The Skin Game / Rich and Strange) (1930)

Studio Canal and Lionsgate put out this set and is 9.95 in amazon marketplace and s a quality set.
Old 06-03-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Network and Optimum put out early Hitchcock sets in the UK and Concorde also did in Germany
Old 06-03-10, 05:01 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

There are tons of box sets of all his british films, but they tend to be bad quality sourced from public domain prints. Sign me up for wanting some quality editions of the original Man Who Knew Too Much, Secret Agent, Sabatoge, and Young & Innocent.
Old 06-04-10, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mabuse, Fox/MGM put out versions of Sabotage and Young & Innocent along with The Lodger a couple of years back. They look really good.

On a related note, I noticed that there's what appears to be a public domain disc on Amazon that came out last month with Downhill + The Farmer's Wife. Any chance that anybody can advise on is the picture is complete crap or not? It would be nice to finally have a copy of Downhill on something in Region 1.
Old 06-05-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are very nice remastered editions of Champagne and The Farmer's Wife available as part of a box set from Studio Canal in France. I can't speak for the PD disc of Downhill, but there's at least one relatively nice-looking copy floating around online, but obviously I can't go into detail there. I'd like to see decent discs of Secret Agent and The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) too - they'd make for a great Criterion double-feature.