Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is The Jetsons on Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 1 and there is an episode of The Jetson on there. As far as I know The Jetsons premiered in 1962 for 1 season and then was gone until the 1980s when new episodes were made. The only conclusion I can come to is that The Jetsons was probably in syndication on Saturday mornings or something, but still kind of a dumb reason to include it on the set especially since season 1 had been out for years before this set came out. I honestly wish they had included episodes of shows that are NOT on DVD as opposed to wasting space with stuff already available, they also included an episode of The New Scooby-Doo Movies which is also available on DVD.
Old 05-20-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Why is The Jetsons on Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s?

I first saw The Jetsons in 1979, but only one time so it was probably shown very sporadically.
Old 05-20-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I remember The Jetsons being on saturday mornings what seems like forever from the late 60s into the 70s. Could have been syndicated rather than network, don't know. I do remember it was toward the tail end of the saturday lineup, around 11AM eastern.
Old 05-20-10, 04:56 PM

It's also on the 1960s set too. Didn't they have other cartoons to include on the 1970s set?

Also, on a side note I hope they do a 90s set in the future.
Old 05-21-10, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They showed it on Saturday mornings. I seem to recall they even showed the Monkees show on Saturdays morns. I'm sure it was just a cheap fill. It was on later in the day and I'm sure the suits figured kids wouldn't care or even banked on the name recognition. All the same, it is a bit of wasted space on the Saturday Morning Cartoons sets. I'd rather see stuff that hasn't found its way to DVD than stuff that is already available. I'm not putting down The Jetsons, as I do have it on DVD.
Old 05-22-10, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
They showed it on Saturday mornings. I seem to recall they even showed the Monkees show on Saturdays morns. I'm sure it was just a cheap fill. It was on later in the day and I'm sure the suits figured kids wouldn't care or even banked on the name recognition. All the same, it is a bit of wasted space on the Saturday Morning Cartoons sets. I'd rather see stuff that hasn't found its way to DVD than stuff that is already available. I'm not putting down The Jetsons, as I do have it on DVD.
I agree with this.

On a side note I don't like how some of the stuff should be released as complete series sets on DVD (i.e. Flintstone Kids) and then they just throw one episode on these sets. I really, really hope for a complete series of Flintstone Kids some time soon in the future.
Old 05-22-10, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99 percent of the sets are filler crap of shows that most people have never heard of.
Old 05-22-10, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
99 percent of the sets are filler crap of shows that most people have never heard of.
The 80s one made me happy. Some of the stuff was stuff I had never heard of, but I was very happy to see Mr. T & Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos
Old 05-22-10, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't remember the Jetsons on Saturday mornings in the 1970's but for a few years CBS ran them Sunday afternoons circa 1971 but not every week.
Old 05-23-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

They probably figure people might watch an episode and be interested in buying more. I could see people buying this as a sampler before they spring for a larger set of a single series.
Old 05-23-10, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
They probably figure people might watch an episode and be interested in buying more. I could see people buying this as a sampler before they spring for a larger set of a single series.
That probably is the case. If that is the fact though I wish they would put some effort into releasing some of the shows not available on DVD. Also, if that is the case I'm surprised The Smurfs wasn't on the 80s set. Also, does WB own The Snorks? If so why wasn't that on the 80s set? I would have loved that. The 80s set is missing a "volume one" tag, so I assume they are not planning a volume 2 set for the 80s.
Old 05-24-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to see Jetsons S2 V2 and the Full S3 be released on DVD once and for all.