Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever hold out buying A TV Show for the Complete Series?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you ever hold out buying A TV Show for the Complete Series?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Do you ever hold out buying A TV Show for the Complete Series?

Not that I hold out, but often the complete series can often be cheaper per season than buying individually. For example, the latest release of 21 Jump Stree Complete Series can be had as a Best Buy exclusive for $39.99 in stores. That is $8/season.
Old 05-08-10, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I do and other times I don't. As has been stated sometimes season sets are cheaper in the long run but sometimes you wait and the all of the seasons don't come out. I'm still sitting on All in the Family S1-6 with no sign of the final 3 seasons coming! This as you all know can be VERY frustrating!!!
On the other hand I did pick up the CS of The Sopranos for well under $100.00-

Last edited by smurr05; 05-08-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is really tough for me. I used to always champion the complete series sets, but lately I've changed my mind ... a bit. (I know, most of this has been said before)

1) Complete sets seem to have problems with poor packaging (the Shield set, Andy Griffith) ... even stuff like Buffy (which I had to have the Complete) is a bit flimsy and I don't like the way the discs are stacked on top of each other. Also, I absolutely HATE the "note book" packaging (O.C. or the new Six Feet Under.) My absolute favorite type of "complete" set is an outer box that holds the individual seasons and then includes a bonus disc if any (Miami Vice is a good example).

2) Because of the poor packaging, many of them have scratched discs -- example -- The Shield, Wild Wild West, The Wire, etc.

Positives:
1) MOST of the time it is MUCH cheaper to get the full series than the individual sets. If you look at the last DD Sony sale, the individual seasons were 20+ and the complete was 64.

2) I do like the compact nature and the idea that everything is in one package. I just wish they would take a little more time to make the sets look good w/o storing them in weird ways ... How difficult would it be to use thinpacks or 6D keep cases for each season and then store them in an outer box. I don't need to wade through the discs in an "I Love Lucy" heart or "I Dream of Jeannie" bottle. ALSO STOP USING CD size cases to store the damn DVDs --- Buffy, seinfeld. USE THE DAMN DVD SIZE CASES AND HAVE THEM STAND ON END.

3) Bonus discs: I used to ALWAYS have to have these, but if the packaging really sucks and it's not one of my favorites, I may choose the cheaper option (or not worry about it if I have already bought a season or two).

For the most part, of my "collectible" TV series (the ones I really like), I usually buy the complete series. For others, I may go either way, price being the biggest factor.

My favorite packaging for complete series:
1) Friends in the wooden case
2) Miami Vice
3) Get Smart

Honorable mention:
4) Dick Van Dyke (wish they'd group the season though)
5) Twilight Zone Def. (wish they had used the thinpacks instead of the clear plastic holders)

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
Unless it's a short complete series (Firefly, Lone Gunmen) or a great deal comes along on something I don't yet own (Monty Python 16 Ton, Hornblower), nope, I don't buy complete series. I'm perfectly happy picking them up one season at a time. Especially when it's apparent there's not going to be a complete series on DVD, owning part of it is OK with me. 50 percent of something, as they say, is better than 100 percent of nothing.
If memory serves, I think it was Monty Python that did the first "complete series" set. (Maybe it was Space 1999??). I remember paying around $27 for two discs of the series. Times sure have changed. I bought the Monty Python Collector's set for around 47.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 05-08-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently waiting for (the original) Beverly Hills 90210 to finish its run of season releases in hopes that there will be a complete set, or a re-release in amaray cases instead of the current large cardboard packages. I'm simply out of space at this point.

I bought the Ally McBeal complete set because it was made available at the same time as the first season, so that doesn't really count.
Old 05-09-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on the prices. I had bought Season 1 of Miami Vice and was looking for a good deal on Season 2 when I ran across all five seasons for $40, shipped through buy.com (deal is now dead). So I bought that instead.

Almost finished with Season 1, but I am also watching Season 1 of Alias at the same time and can only watch a few hours per week (lot of stuff going on).
Old 05-10-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i usually wait because I like all those really cool complete series boxes
Old 05-10-10, 08:34 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I want to hear from the guy waiting to buy The Simpsons complete series in 2045.
Old 05-10-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never held out. I don't think I could wait the 3-4 years for a Complete Set to (hopefully) come out. Of course the ironic thing is a lot of those single season sets, like Charmed, are sitting on my shelf unopened for years.
Old 05-10-10, 08:59 AM

It all depends on how "on the radar" the show is for me and the price. Some shows I may hear about through word of mouth and know I want to see as soon as possible at any cost- like The Wire or Six Feet Under. Some I may watch when on TV, and love so much I want it on DVD as soon as possible - like Chuck and Burn Notice. I bought all those as single season as they came out.

Others I may have a passing interest in, but never watched and I'm just waiting for a good deal. For example, The Shield is a show I've always been curious about, but since I never was able to see any of the first season I never jumped in to watch the show, and never saw a must buy deal for the season sets. It was finally this week that I saw a deal I couldn't pass up at Amazon for the complete series. (Just watched the first two episodes last night and I'm hooked.) If I had found an awesome deal on the season sets earlier, I may have jumped on the series earlier.

There's a few other series that I'm kind of interested in, and it's just a matter of what deal comes along when that will determine if I get the season sets or a future complete series. For example, Thirtysomething. I've been looking for a good deal on the season sets, but if a complete series comes out before I find that deal, I'll get that instead.

Last edited by Tscott; 05-10-10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 11:18 AM

I buy the sets I want as I go along. I am not a fan of the packaging of the complete sets, but to have them on single sided discs vs. 2 sided (Knight Rider, A-Team, etc.) I would get the entire set if sold at a very discounted price.
Old 05-10-10, 01:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been with Bewitched, but nothing yet. Usually if I like a TV series a lot I'll just buy them season by season. With Full House I did that then sold all the seasons and bought the complete series (I didn't have all the seasons, but I was close)
Old 05-10-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Roswell had a complete series set it was exclusive to best buy
Old 05-10-10, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently waiting for..

Lost
Married with Children
Smallville

There might be some others. but those are the ones off the top of my head!
Old 05-11-10, 05:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have; I was going to get War of The Worlds but I wanted to wait to see if they would do a different package as it was only a two season show. After getting burned on Miami Vice, I figured The Equalizer would quickly come out with seasons culminating with a complete set yet it's only had the first season released.
Old 05-11-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised Sony hasn't slipped Starsky & Hutch into one of their "spindle" packs.