Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

June 2010 History Film Challenge Discussion Thread

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: I intend to watch content from...
Westerns
81.48%
War
81.48%
Biopics
59.26%
Documentaries
66.67%
Sports-related
40.74%
Period Dramas
55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

June 2010 History Film Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 04:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: June 2010 History Film Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor
So what did everyone choose as their first title?
I started with Warhead (1977) with David Janssen since I hadn't seen it before and I wanted something more recent than the films I knew I'd be watching next. It was OK but that's all.

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
My goals for this challenge are as follows:
I'd like to make it to 50 movies or equivalents. I was pleased to discover some box sets I have fit this challenge so I want to get through the following as part of the 50:

Eclipse Series 4: Raymond Bernard
Eclipse Series 5: The First Films of Samuel Fuller
John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection
James Stewart The Western Collection
Tyrone Power Collection
The Sergio Leone Anthology

I have watched a couple movies from these sets previously but that still leaves quite a few to go.
Old 06-02-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmath
How do Band of Brothers, Generation Kill and John Adams count? Are they considered mini-series so each episode counts as one entry or does it take multiple episodes for one entry? I don't have HBO, so I've never seen any of them, but I own all three and hope to use this challenge to watch all three.
We're using Sci Fi rules.
TV shows count according to length as they are aired on TV(including commercials):

* 30 minute shows count as 1/4 an entry
* 1 hour shows count as 1/2 an entry
* 2 hour shows count as 1 entry

So you need 4, 30 minute shows for 1 entry or 2 60 minute shows or any combination that gets you to 1 entry. While X-Files has a runtime of around 43 minutes, on-air it's an hour show.

So, something like Band of Brothers, The Pacific, From Earth to the Moon, which aired in 1 hour increments, work out to 1/2 entry per episode. I'm having a hard time with John Adams. It was 7 episodes, but the total is over 8 hours. Were some episodes longer than others? Anyway, I hoped to avoid an hour counting thing otherwise something like Gone with the Wind at nearly 4 hours will count as two entries. I'm thinking John Adams should be counted as seven 1 hour entries, even if it went over a little per. So it would be 3 1/2 entries.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Does No Country for Old Men count since it's a Western?
That's a tough one. We had defined Westerns are being 1838-ish to the 1930s. I can definitely see the argument. Here's what my thought is. When I was counting up the exploitation challenge, several people counted 2012. It's a big budget, modern Hollywood film (that was not a bomb)and was technically against the rules. But then it occurred to me that we live in an era of big budget exploitation films and 2012 was made entirely to exploit the supposedly significant date and also exploiting blowing shit up. It also makes eligible The Day After Tomorrow, which I think you had asked about and I turned down. That film is pure exploitation about Climate Change and means I made a mistake. Or, I should really say that they were technically eligible but perhaps contrary to the spirit of the challenge. That said, I'm going to say that No Country is probably close enough that I wouldn't disallow it, even if it isn't strictly what I would consider a "big W" Western. I'm still disallowing other "Westerns" like Outland and Firefly that are Science Fiction. We're sticking to the mundane world, here. The only exception is I'm allowing Cavemen and Dinosaurs movies.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 06-02-10 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't "No Country for Old Men" take place in the 80's? Does it count as a period piece?
Old 06-02-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
Didn't "No Country for Old Men" take place in the 80's? Does it count as a period piece?
I thought about that too but then at the same time, sports movies like Rocky are allowed. What pushed me more towards asking was that all westerns are allowed. I figured worst case I'd be using a wild card on this one, which I don't mind doing.
Old 06-03-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
We're using Sci Fi rules.
TV shows count according to length as they are aired on TV(including commercials):

* 30 minute shows count as 1/4 an entry
* 1 hour shows count as 1/2 an entry
* 2 hour shows count as 1 entry

So you need 4, 30 minute shows for 1 entry or 2 60 minute shows or any combination that gets you to 1 entry. While X-Files has a runtime of around 43 minutes, on-air it's an hour show.

So, something like Band of Brothers, The Pacific, From Earth to the Moon, which aired in 1 hour increments, work out to 1/2 entry per episode. I'm having a hard time with John Adams. It was 7 episodes, but the total is over 8 hours. Were some episodes longer than others? Anyway, I hoped to avoid an hour counting thing otherwise something like Gone with the Wind at nearly 4 hours will count as two entries. I'm thinking John Adams should be counted as seven 1 hour entries, even if it went over a little per. So it would be 3 1/2entries.
Thanks for the clarification. That was my initial thought, but I thought they might be counted as mini-series.
Old 06-03-10, 01:07 AM

IMDB does list it as a Western.
Old 06-03-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

What I started with, an upbeat film.
Old 06-06-10, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

While watching FLAME AND CITRON last night, I started thinking about the checklist.

The Checklist lists WWII as an "American" war, but it was, of course, not exclusively American. Technically, a WWII film could only be used on the watch 5 American films about an American war section, but there are many great films (and some not so great) that deal with the World Wars from the perspective of their country and do not depict American involvement: HOPE AND GLORY; LACOMBE, LUCIEN; AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS; JOYEAUX NOEL; CROSS OF IRON; etc.

Since I already had A WWII film on the American checklist, I added FLAME AND CITRON to the Other Countries' Wars checklist.

Caligula, I need a ruling here.

(ps. Where did you find SINFUL DAVEY? Is it the Spanish R2 disc or is it available somewhere else?)
Old 06-06-10, 08:39 AM

Excepting Civil Wars, all wars involve more than one country, so no war is exclusively any country's war. America fought in WWII, so for the purposes of a simple definition it is an American war. The intention was for wars that the United States didn't participate in at all. I'm not going to disallow WWII films that depict other countries viewpoints of their participation, though, as long as there is no mention of America in the film (like dialog saying, "Oh, the Bloody Americans are joining in, finally."). That would probably be a good category, actually, since there are so many WWII films.

I caught Sinful Davey on Turner Classic Movies HD on June 2nd (well, we DVR'd it and watched it later).
Old 06-06-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, I've been TCM-challenged for the past 2 months.
Old 06-06-10, 11:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't expect to watch a great number of movies, but I'm planning to use this challenge to push me to watch some films that I've put off because of their length. I expect to watch Raymond Bernard's Les Miserables and some Ford at Fox silents later in the month. The variety of movies that qualify for this challenge should keep things fresh. I was originally planning on watching mostly westerns and a few war movies, but I'm now considering the Angelique collection and a few films concerning 20th century China as well.
Old 06-07-10, 02:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious if anyone thinks that "Shutter Island" could count towards the challenge. Or if I could use a wildcard on it.
Old 06-07-10, 06:35 AM

Looks alright to me.
Old 06-07-10, 09:11 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I'm curious if anyone thinks that "Shutter Island" could count towards the challenge. Or if I could use a wildcard on it.
I'm buying this tomorrow, I never thought that it could be used, but if it's alright, I'll be adding it to my list.

Also- could the new release of The Wolfman be used in the period category?
I watched it last week on release day but didn't put it on my list.
Old 06-07-10, 10:03 AM

Looks alright to me.
Awesome. Wasn't sure, but it is a period piece, so I thought maybe...lol
Old 06-07-10, 12:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

no one's answered my Robin Hood (R. Scott) question, if it is eligable...??

currently watching the five hour cut of Das Boot
Old 06-07-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
no one's answered my Robin Hood (R. Scott) question, if it is eligible...??
No, ROBIN HOOD is not a western, but it is sports-related. (The archery contest.)
Old 06-07-10, 03:51 PM

Robin Hood is eligible. Depending on the film, it might even count as Crusades.

Wolfman, technically, isn't eligible. I had originally suggested that Werewolves should count as folklore but then it was brought up that it opens up Elves and Dragons, as they are folklore, too. That kind of goes against the spirit of the challenge.

Oddly enough, Westerns are a little more forgiving. While Space Westerns are out, slightly supernatural ones are in (like, say, High Plains Drifter).
Old 06-07-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Elves and Dragons, as they are folklore, too.
According to a guest around the beginning of the year on Coast to Coast AM, only the latter is folklore.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2010/01/22

In the first half of the program, psychic mediums Christopher Valentine and Dr. Christian von Lahr talked about the world of Nature Spirits. According to the duo, these creatures are a real form of life that begins as spirit (just as we do) and then individualizes into Gnomes, Elves, Fairies, Leprechauns and Pixies.

Valentine described Gnomes as a foot to a foot and a half in height and stocky in appearance. They originated in Scandinavia and bear a remarkable resemblance to garden store gnome statuary, with their tall conical red or green hats, backpacks and clogs. Valentine said everybody has two Gnomes whose main purpose is to help with their health aura.

Leprechauns are seen wearing black hats with buckles and special Fairy-made vests, which Valentine pointed out, "helps them traverse into the astral plane where they make seemingly magical things happen for us." Commenting on Hollywood's negative depiction of Leprechauns in movies, von Lahr said, "It is literally impossible for [Nature Spirits] to be negative or evil in any way because they are sourced from the Angelic Kingdom."

Nature Spirits are actively involved in the process of bringing humans into existence, nurturing plant life, cleansing us from negativity, and bringing balance and harmony to our lives, Valentine expounded. Citing his interview with a Pixie, Valentine disclosed that they are responsible for our moments of insight or inspiration, and appear as flashes our sparkles of light.

The two men also discussed the difficulty in seeing Nature Spirits. Valentine explained they are made of a very light material called 'etheric matter' that is almost transparent to the human eye. Initially, it took years for us to develop a way to see them, von Lahr said. Now, we teach people to use their eyes differently and they can usually see Nature Spirits within 40 minutes to an hour, remarking that most will only see outlines at first. With practice, however, these creatures can be seen in bright color and form, Valentine added.
Because of this, I clearly think we must allow the Leprechaun series for this challenge as they are historic.
Old 06-07-10, 04:22 PM

LOL! Well, in that case. Actually, nearly 10 years ago I even caught a guy who claimed the Earth was hollow and he was trying to raise money for an expedition. I am not making that up. Earlier in the week, he had called into another show I was listening to and they laughed him off. Good old George will buy anything.
Old 06-07-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was that the guy trying to get money for his special helicopter? There was some show I listened to years ago with Art and maybe it was the same guy.

It's sad that George buys into anything unless you're countering Major Ed Dames. He's laughed at and hung up on people that have their own remote viewing proof. The trick with George is that as long as you can fit an angel and/or 2012 into any topic, he's putty in your hands.
Old 06-07-10, 07:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was contemplating watching The Last Castle and was wondering whether it would be eligible. Not technically a war film, though it does focus on a court-martialed military general.
Old 06-07-10, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Was that the guy trying to get money for his special helicopter? There was some show I listened to years ago with Art and maybe it was the same guy.

It's sad that George buys into anything unless you're countering Major Ed Dames. He's laughed at and hung up on people that have their own remote viewing proof. The trick with George is that as long as you can fit an angel and/or 2012 into any topic, he's putty in your hands.
Maybe it was Art. http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2002/10/04 I remember him not calling him on his BS at all. Anyway, there are pages of those goofballs on that site. But George is the worst. There's a difference between respecting someone's beliefs and being ridiculously credulous.

Originally Posted by indy2003
I was contemplating watching The Last Castle and was wondering whether it would be eligible. Not technically a war film, though it does focus on a court-martialed military general.
Close enough. Involves the Military.
Old 06-08-10, 10:40 AM

I watched "They Call Me Trinity" and "They Still Call Me Trinity" and enjoyed both immensely! Very good spaghetti western comedies.
Old 06-08-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Aren't westerns where they play cards also sports-related?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.