Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

June 2010 History Film Challenge Discussion Thread

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: I intend to watch content from...
Westerns
81.48%
War
81.48%
Biopics
59.26%
Documentaries
66.67%
Sports-related
40.74%
Period Dramas
55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

June 2010 History Film Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: June 2010 History Film Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Then the question becomes, "Why not just allow the 10 title Iconic sub-list?" I'm sorry, but I just think this challenge is bloated enough accommodating period pieces. Sports are on a much shorter leash: they must be based upon real people/events to qualify, which is why I'm fine with their inclusion. (So, yes, Hoosiers is in; Kevin Costner's excellent trio of baseball features is out.)
If sports films have to "be based upon real people/events to qualify," why even mention them as a separate category? Wouldn't any film "based upon real people/events" qualify for the Challenge?
Old 05-10-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
If sports films have to "be based upon real people/events to qualify," why even mention them as a separate category? Wouldn't any film "based upon real people/events" qualify for the Challenge?
The reason is to ensure that participants don't overlook them when considering biopics.
Old 05-10-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reason is to ensure that participants don't overlook them when considering biopics.
Okay, thanks. I thought they were being singled out as a separate category (meaning any sports film would count), not as an example of biopics or films based on actual events.
Old 05-10-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Okay, thanks. I thought they were being singled out as a separate category (meaning any sports film would count), not as an example of biopics or films based on actual events.
Well, the other thing is that sports movies as a rule are only concerned with the careers of the subjects. When you think of a sports movie, you don't really think of getting much of a sense of the player's formative years, or life away from the field. They're really only concerned with the period of their lives spent as a player, and that narrowed focus is another reason we've separated sports-related content.
Old 05-10-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Bloated? I thought this was one of the more inspired ideas for a challenge. It's a single genre. Westerns and War movies are just sub-genres of it.

It's actually less bloated than the Drive-in challenge and that went great. It's like if it had been a Blaxploitation challenge or a Martial Arts film challenge. While those would have been fun in themselves, it just made sense to just make it all trashy movies. Allowing all exploitation movies and B-movies didn't bloat the challenge but gave it variety all within a theme. These challenges really work best with themes rather than strict genres. It would be like if the Horror challenge was exclusively Vampire movies or Zombie movies. How much fun would that be?

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-10-10 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that we already have five pretty wide open fields that qualify for this challenge, I'm against wild cards. It seems to me that if you're participating in this challenge and what you want to watch doesn't fit one of those fields, then you're too far off topic. As always, I'm open to being persuaded, but I think we keep coming back to one camp trying to open the doors to nearly every movie ever made counting, and the other side wanting to finally get clear ideas of what is excluded from eligibility. Wild cards only add to the sense that "anything goes."
Then the question becomes, "Why not just allow the 10 title Iconic sub-list?" I'm sorry, but I just think this challenge is bloated enough accommodating period pieces. Sports are on a much shorter leash: they must be based upon real people/events to qualify, which is why I'm fine with their inclusion. (So, yes, Hoosiers is in; Kevin Costner's excellent trio of baseball features is out.)
Period pieces makes more sense to include than many westerns or something like inglorious basterds imho.
Old 05-11-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Espn has something called 30 for 30 which are sports documentaries, i am guessing any of those would be allowed since they are based on real events.
Old 05-11-10, 09:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Espn has something called 30 for 30 which are sports documentaries, i am guessing any of those would be allowed since they are based on real events.
I think any documentary counts, right? Even the pure fiction ones by Michael Moore.
Old 05-11-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think any documentary counts, right? Even the pure fiction ones by Michael Moore.
Blatantly biased? Yes. "Pure fiction?" Come on; you're better than that. And, yes, documentaries are in as long (except something like March of the Penguins, which isn't about people at all).
Old 05-11-10, 11:26 AM

Blatantly biased? Yes. "Pure fiction?" Come on; you're better than that. And, yes, documentaries are in as long (except something like March of the Penguins, which isn't about people at all).
It's called hyperbole.

I actually think Moore documentaries should count double, since they are so painful to watch.
Old 05-11-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So we only have 15 participants in this challenge?
Old 05-11-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
The rest of the participants are, how would you say.....history?

I'm sorry
Old 05-11-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I've participated in just about every challenge we've ever had, but I'll pass on this one. Of the six genres listed in the poll, there are four I can't stand, and two (biopics and period dramas) I'm mildly interested in, but not nearly enough to build an entire challenge around.

Too bad we can't shelve this challenge, and extend the "make your own challenge" one for another month instead. I'm not making anywhere near the progress with that one that I'd hoped to.

Rob
Old 05-11-10, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
I've participated in just about every challenge we've ever had, but I'll pass on this one. Of the six genres listed in the poll, there are four I can't stand, and two (biopics and period dramas) I'm mildly interested in, but not nearly enough to build an entire challenge around.
Watching one film is enough to participate, technically. And I bet that you could find ten or twenty worth watching throughout the month, and browse the threads and be entertained or inspired by something.

Keep your streak alive!
Old 05-11-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watching one film is enough to participate, technically.
Technically, but I'd rather not participate at all than watch one movie, or only a few. It's just not worth it. YMMV

Rob
Old 05-11-10, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably going to sit this one out. Sounds like it could be fun, but I have a bunch of stuff I want to catch up on before the Sci-Fi challenge in July. Looking forward to checking out everyone's list though.
Old 05-11-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
Too bad we can't shelve this challenge, and extend the "make your own challenge" one for another month instead. I'm not making anywhere near the progress with that one that I'd hoped to.
At the rate I'm going, I may still be watching Hitchcock films into the early days of next month. Well, I did say May 1st through May 31st was a "guideline"...
Old 05-12-10, 03:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm starting to get excited about this challenge. I think caligulathegod did a good job of defining the categories but he didn't cover documentaries and I'm still not sure which ones are included.

And, yes, documentaries are in as long (except something like March of the Penguins, which isn't about people at all).
So no nature documentaries right? That makes sense to me. And they have to be about people. That also makes sense. For instance, one about mathematics wouldn't count but one about a mathematician would. Any other restrictions or thoughts? If I do anything other than documentaries about WW2, it would probably be Rocket Science, a history of the US space program done for Discovery Canada.

Love dat bunny Mr. Peepers!
Old 05-12-10, 08:08 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks. I forgot to include Docs. I guess I was thinking more that the docs were in the individual categories. Like War Docs, Biographic docs, Docs on world History, etc. Also, I must have misunderstood the Sports category. I would have allowed in any sports film, such as Slap Shot or Bull Durham for pretty much the same argument I gave for allowing in fictional Period Pieces. I even came up with a way to justify them. As it stands, the Sports films allowed would all fit in the other categories instead of being singled out. Why not add a purely fun category? I added Hollywood bombs to the Exploitation challenge because they were bad films and that fit in with the other films, even though they broke the rule concept about focusing on low budget B-movies. It's about the theme rather than the individual parts.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-12-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Thanks. I forgot to include Docs. I guess I was thinking more that the docs were in the individual categories. Like War Docs, Biographic docs, Docs on world History, etc. Also, I must have misunderstood the Sports category. I would have allowed in any sports film, such as Slap Shot or Bull Durham for pretty much the same argument I gave for allowing in fictional Period Pieces. I even came up with a way to justify them. As it stands, the Sports films allowed would all fit in the other categories instead of being singled out. Why not add a purely fun category?
Sounds good to me. Where does the group stand on things like BASEketball or Dodgeball?

Edit: I forgot to add that I forgot to remember to mention when this discussion thread got underway that one reason I thought it was appropriate to include sports movies is that, at least in the school system I attended, every social studies teacher was a coach first and a teacher second. Not sure why this is, but it seems to be nearly universal. Tangential? Yes. But somehow, it seems like a good fit.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 05-12-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good to me. Where does the group stand on things like BASEketball or Dodgeball?
I wouldn't watch since they're completely fake. The Kevin Costner ones have already been set for not being allowed, unless I read that wrong, so I don't see why these should be allowed.
Old 05-13-10, 12:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so when we say 'historical' it doesn't have to be completely 100% accurate - right??
Old 05-13-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It appears increasingly likely that my time will be consumed by something else over the next several weeks, and a first time challenge shouldn't have to put up with an absent host. caligulathegod has graciously accepted my request to take over hosting duties. I'll try to contribute questions and thoughts in the discussion thread and I hope that the personal issue goes well enough that I can still participate in the challenge. I'd like to thank everyone for being so helpful and encouraging of me during my first attempt at hosting a challenge, and I'm looking forward to returning next year and actually finishing it!
Old 05-13-10, 02:11 PM

It appears increasingly likely that my time will be consumed by something else over the next several weeks, and a first time challenge shouldn't have to put up with an absent host. caligulathegod has graciously accepted my request to take over hosting duties. I'll try to contribute questions and thoughts in the discussion thread and I hope that the personal issue goes well enough that I can still participate in the challenge. I'd like to thank everyone for being so helpful and encouraging of me during my first attempt at hosting a challenge, and I'm looking forward to returning next year and actually finishing it!
Here's hoping that whatever the problem is becomes history quickly.
Old 05-13-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's hoping that whatever the problem is becomes history quickly.
I've never had to choose between being appreciative and groaning at the same statement...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.