Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rambo: Extended Cut DVD & Blu-ray - July 27, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 11:49 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rambo: Extended Cut DVD & Blu-ray - July 27, 2010

Ok, here's another example: Michael Mann and his DC of The Last Of The Mohicans (I suppose that this new Rambo version won't go that far in this direction, but you know what I mean).

Alien DC is at least released with theatrical version on the same disc, so in fact we're missing nothing.

Last edited by Gieferg; 05-09-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-09-10, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's pretty useless to make comparisons between director's cuts, or use the results of one to predict another. Some work out better and some don't. The only way to know about this one is to just wait and see it.
Old 05-09-10, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bsmith
It's pretty useless to make comparisons between director's cuts, or use the results of one to predict another. Some work out better and some don't. The only way to know about this one is to just wait and see it.
Exactly. Perfectly put. The Abyss is a great example of where an extended cut not only enhances the theatrical release, but damn near changes it completely (for the better, in my opinion-YMMV).

Originally Posted by Gieferg
Ok, here's another example: Michael Mann and his DC of The Last Of The Mohicans (I suppose that this new Rambo version won't go that far in this direction, but you know what I mean).
Also not really a great example to use because the theatrical cut of Mohicans is not available on DVD here in the US. If you don't care for the changes Mann made, you really don't have an equal-quality alternative. At least with the Rambo extended cut, if you aren't happy with what he's done, you'll always have the theatrical DVDs and Blu-rays to return to.

But in case you still think this is somehow 'censorship' or just a studio cash in throwing in nothing but a bunch of 'talky' deleted scenes, here's a quote from Sly that may explain his motivations.

“I’m very happy because I wish the director’s cut had been the actual cut. The problem with releasing a film is when you revisit it a year or some later you see all the wasted possibilities that you didn’t pay attention to the first time because of a rushed schedule. The new one has a great deal more heart to go along with the physicality of the film.”
Old 05-09-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alien DC is at least released with theatrical version on the same disc, so in fact we're missing nothing.
Just because you don't like one film's Director's Cut doesn't mean that every DC is bad.

For example, I'm not a fan of Apocalypse Now Redux. However, James Cameron's DCs have been quite good. You stated that you don't like Ridley Scott's DC of Alien (which, as was established before, technically isn't a director's cut), however, his (true) Director's Cut of Kingdom Of Heaven is MUCH better than the theatrical cut.

Quite frankly, you're argument is pretty closed-minded.

But it doesnt really matter, I've put together combined version of Theatrical and Director's version of Alien to have everything in one version for my personal use, I can do the same thing here when I get this release
You didn't put it together, it was released that way.

Admittedly, I'm a fan of "definitive" releases of films, instead of having to hold on to multiple copies of one film just to have all the extras and different cuts. But I get what Cliff said they were trying to do: make a good 2-Disc set for Rambo. Just grab a case for 2-Discs, and with some custom artwork, you're all set (or, if you have the Rambo tin, just chuck the useless digital copy).

The other question is why, if you're so set against the idea of this movie having an alternate cut, do you plan on getting it in the first place? Mind you, I get that you're a fan of the movie. But that doesn't mean that you have to get every copy of the film released, especially if the release in question is not up to par with your standards...
Old 05-10-10, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

Just because you don't like one film's Director's Cut doesn't mean that every DC is bad.
And who said so?

The other question is why, if you're so set against the idea of this movie having an alternate cut
Again, who said so? I like an idea of alternate cuts for movies, including Rambo - I just dont like an idea of cutting out things that I like :P And I've just taken a look on this scene where the guy lost his legs, watched it frame by frame, and still cant tell what is wrong with it :P

On official release of Alien, you can choose between theatrical or director's cut. Both versions has some footage exsclusive to them - DC has some additional scenes, but is missing some scenes from theatrical and viceversa. And I've put every single scene together, and even added 5 minutes from deleted scenes sections from bonus DVD, so now I have 120 mins long, complete version of the movie and there is no need to choose between theatrical and DC anymore. And that's what I've been talking about.

Originally Posted by CliffStephenson
Also not really a great example to use because the theatrical cut of Mohicans is not available on DVD here in the US.
Is there any problem with buying it somewhere else? I am from Poland (Europe, in case somebody doesnt know that) and have some UK, French and Australian DVDs on my shelf, if I need US release of any film, that's also not a big problem. Have you ever heard about region free players?

Last edited by Gieferg; 05-10-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
My understanding of his post was that he created a "complete" edit of the movie with all footage from both versions.

EDIT: Durr, I didn't read his above post. Well, I was right, anyway.

Now we're going off on a tangent, but I've never liked Cameron's TCs (missing many awesome scenes) or DCs (drag on for too long). I've always thought there was some perfect cut right in between.
Old 05-10-10, 05:40 PM

And who said so?

Again, who said so? I like an idea of alternate cuts for movies, including Rambo - I just dont like an idea of cutting out things that I like :P And I've just taken a look on this scene where the guy lost his legs, watched it frame by frame, and still cant tell what is wrong with it :P
That's great, but a lot of other people (including Stallone) didn't think it was the best it could be and that it was potentially more distracting than effective. It's not a horrible shot, but it's definitely got flaws. Should Stallone be required to keep it in as is because you simply couldn't see what so many others could?

On official release of Alien, you can choose between theatrical or director's cut. Both versions has some footage exsclusive to them - DC has some additional scenes, but is missing some scenes from theatrical and viceversa. And I've put every single scene together, and even added 5 minutes from deleted scenes sections from bonus DVD, so now I have 120 mins long, complete version of the movie and there is no need to choose between theatrical and DC anymore. And that's what I've been talking about.
But what you're describing has no respect or consideration for pacing, storytelling strength, continuity, director's intention, mood, or any number of other things it took hundreds of people years to ultimately arrive at. I'm not arguing that it's not your right to do what you wish, but you'll probably have a lot of trouble getting other people to understand your everything and the kitchen sink fan cuts. And I have to imagine that your personal Frankenstein monster fan cuts are a hodgepodge of bad audio edits, terrible cuts and nightmarishly patchy A/V quality (especially if you're culling material from DVD deleted scenes sections). I can't imagine being so taken with every bit of footage available that I wouldn't immediately be distracted and pulled out of the movie experience every time any of these cuts would happen. I would rather have a completed, technically finished movie that comes from the mind and hands of the filmmaker that I can lose myself in. But knock yourself out.

Is there any problem with buying it somewhere else? I am from Poland (Europe, in case somebody doesnt know that) and have some UK, French and Australian DVDs on my shelf, if I need US release of any film, that's also not a big problem. Have you ever heard about region free players?
Of course I've heard about region free players... I've had one in some form or another since they first became available over a decade ago (I've also made my Blu-ray player region free). But the reality is that not everyone is so knowledgeable about such things and really only have what is available locally to them. For the vast majority of Americans (right or wrong), if it's not available at Best Buy or Amazon.com, it's not available.
Old 05-12-10, 08:39 AM
Cool New Member

But what you're describing has no respect or consideration for pacing, storytelling strength, continuity, director's intention, mood, or any number of other things it took hundreds of people years to ultimately arrive at.
Do i look like I give a damn? :P

It's called fanediting and there is many people with that hobby, and I am one of them.

And I have to imagine that your personal Frankenstein monster fan cuts are a hodgepodge of bad audio edits, terrible cuts and nightmarishly patchy A/V quality
I suppose You havent seen any fanedit, right? Do you really think that I would watch something like this? Besides blending two version of Alien is very easy, cause doesnt need any additional audio editing, even unexperienced editor can do it that way, you won't even notice cut points.

But the reality is that not everyone is so knowledgeable about such things and really only have what is available locally to them. For the vast majority of Americans (right or wrong), if it's not available at Best Buy or Amazon.com, it's not available.
Well, from what I know, majority doesnt even care for extended 10 minutes longer cuts of the movies, and almost everybody with exception of fans or movie-freaks dont even know about their existence.

Should Stallone be required to keep it in as is because you simply couldn't see what so many others could?
Not at all. But like I said, it's no big deal, even If I dont like it. I can fix it by myself :P

Last edited by Gieferg; 05-12-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno. I'm personally against the idea of most fan edits. In some rare cases it's an amazing feat. In most cases it's not. I've seen very few of them...only the ones that I think mattered stemming from the film's production issues and cutting stuff out against the director's wishes blah blah. In this case....If Stallone puts it in I'm sure he has a reason to, and after seeing the cut scene...I have to admit..it gives some depth to Rambo. You know? it's an internal argument for him talking to this woman.
Old 05-12-10, 11:00 AM
Cool New Member

Ok, so let's ask one question - there will be 9 additional minutes of footage, so, what % of that is actually "never seen before" footage and what % is deleted material which was on first release as deleted scenes. If it's like 3 minutes from deleted scenes and 6 minutes of new footage I would say it's quite good, but if it is more like 3 (or less) minutes of new footage and 6 minutes recycled from deleted scenes...well, not so good.
Old 05-12-10, 08:28 PM

Ok, so let's ask one question - there will be 9 additional minutes of footage, so, what % of that is actually "never seen before" footage and what % is deleted material which was on first release as deleted scenes. If it's like 3 minutes from deleted scenes and 6 minutes of new footage I would say it's quite good, but if it is more like 3 (or less) minutes of new footage and 6 minutes recycled from deleted scenes...well, not so good.
What does it matter what percentage is never before seen or not? To me, it seems the quality of the footage as it pertains to the overall story is what matters first and foremost. Not enjoying an extended cut of something simply because you might have seen the additional footage before means you're not watching the movie, you're watching the footage. And besides, all of the other footage around it is all 'old' footage, so does that curtail your enjoyment of repeat viewings because there isn't new footage to keep you interested. New footage is only new one time.

Like I said... go ahead and make your own fan edit using the deleted scenes. Knock yourself out. I'll defer to the actual artists who 'made' the film.

I suppose You havent seen any fanedit, right? Do you really think that I would watch something like this? Besides blending two version of Alien is very easy, cause doesnt need any additional audio editing, even unexperienced editor can do it that way, you won't even notice cut points.
Suuuuuuure I wouldn't notice. I'm sure that unrestored deleted scenes footage from the DVD bonus features is totally seamless. Once again, I'll defer to the professionals.
Old 05-13-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And who said so?
I'll refer to this previous quote:
Whatever what it looks like, I dont like it at all. I didnt like it when Ridley Scott butchered Alien in his so called director's cut, so I wont like it here.
You didn't like when one director made a "director's cut" that involved removing material to make room for other material, so you won't like it here, even though it's not only a different franchise, but a different director as well.

A movie can have plenty of great scenes, but it can be all for naught if it doesn't work as a cohesive whole. Sometimes, even great scenes or shots need to be cut if it's beneficial to the overall film.

Gotcha. Misunderstood.

With that said, while it may be cool to see all the scenes from both cuts put together initially, I don't think it would work towards improving the movie's quality. Scott was on record as saying when he added the deleted scenes without cutting anything, it messed up the film's pacing, which, when it comes to horror, is crucial. Hence, why he removed other scenes, so that the movie would flow better.

Your cut sounds almost like an assembly cut of the movie. Quite frankly, I don't think it would be an enjoyable watch on it's own merits

Do i look like I give a damn? :P

Not particularly.

It's called fanediting and there is many people with that hobby, and I am one of them.
More power to you.

I have seen a few fanedits in my time. Occasionally you have an interesting one, but frankly, most of them aren't very good, and are conducted by those whom don't have a large understanding of, as Cliff stated before, "pacing, storytelling strength, continuity, director's intention, mood, etc."
Old 05-13-10, 09:15 AM
Cool New Member

What does it matter what percentage is never before seen or not?
To buy or not to buy for me.

Unfortunately, that kind of avoiding answer (quoted above), makes me think that there wont be too much unseen material, cause if somebody is interested in something and wants to know if he will get it, the answer "what does it matter" usually doesnt mean "Yes, you will get it".

So, I think I know everything I wanted to know now. Thank you very much

Quite frankly, I don't think it would be an enjoyable watch on it's own merits
Well, people who have seen it would disagree I think (not to mention that those who weren't fans or very familiar with the movie didnt even noticed that something was changed).

and are conducted by those whom don't have a large understanding of, as Cliff stated before, "pacing, storytelling strength, continuity, director's intention, mood, etc."
Well, there are directors who dont have this understanding either.

Last edited by Gieferg; 05-13-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-13-10, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand what your saying but just inserting footage for the sake of having more of what you like or want doesn't make it better. And again does it make you like it more or does it actually make the product better?

I've edited some stuff here and there for school. We make movies all the time and sometimes I have to edit it. Sometimes there'll be a really good scene that I WOULD like for others to see but sometimes...it kills the story or the pacing or etc. It's a tough decision editing stuff like that. I trust Stallone's belief in what he's editing in. Will I buy this? Maybe...I'm more interested in the doc over the new cut, but I just love to see features like that (especially on films I like)..that's just me.
Old 05-13-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WAY too much troll feeding in this thread.

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 05-13-10, 04:55 PM
Cool New Member

but just inserting footage for the sake of having more of what you like or want doesn't make it better.
That's your opinion. EOT.
Old 05-16-10, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Give us the details on ROCKY 5 work print!
What do you know?
i'd like to know this as well...and where can i find it?
nevermind....found it...pretty easy find too.

Strike that, it was bogus...where can I find it???!!!!

Last edited by JZ1276; 05-19-10 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-16-10, 05:23 AM

cool banner...I saw this movie.
Old 05-18-10, 07:50 PM

Rambo is one of my favorite characters of all time
Old 05-19-10, 10:14 PM

Cliff, Did you have anything to do with the Special Edition of Johnny Handsome
that Lionsgate is releasing on 07/27/2010. If so why no DVD and only Blu?

Old 06-03-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dragon Lee
Well now that Lionsgate has announced the Complete Collector's set on Blu-ray, I guess I'll have to get that too! If that set comes with a digital copy, I'll remove the disc, take a dump on it and post a pic here for you all to see it.
Old 07-11-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

I wish it was the 27th already. I'm really looking forward to this release.
Old 07-12-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im plan to buy Extended Cut DVD and I own it in blu-ray.

so it been on aired cable earlier on Spike network.
Old 07-12-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't watch it but i saw a promo on spike that used the John Rambo title, so is the new "extended, director's cut" being re-titled to John Rambo?
Old 07-12-10, 07:54 AM

My thinking is the Director's Cut is the way the director visioned the film to be and it would be the best route to go. Now I understand this isn't always true and some people don't like DC's, but they did make the movie how they wanted it, not how we wanted it to be. It would be nice if the DC would also include the theatrical version on the same disc. Perhaps the studios don't want the movie to be so long or schedule is rushed and after the movie made some money and was successful they could then go revisit it and edit however they wanted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.