SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION

IN STORES NATIONWIDE JULY 27, 2010
FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

2-DISC BLU-RAY + DVD COMBO PACK
and SINGLE DISC SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION DVD

Featuring New Transfers from Hi-Def Masters, Extensive Bonus Content,
The Special Collectors Edition Fills the Final Placeholder Inside the
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete Series Deluxe Footlocker Case

After countless defeats at the hands of the G.I. JOE team, the ruthless COBRA organization has taken a drastic leap towards global domination by joining the ranks of the ancient race of COBRA-LA. When DUKE falls in the line of duty, it's up to SGT. SLAUGHTER, LT. FALCON, SNAKE EYES and the rest of the G.I. JOE team to prevent SERPENTOR, DESTRO and COBRA-LA's GOLOBULUS from releasing a deadly spore into the Earth's atmosphere and devolving the human race.

On July 27, 2010, the original animated G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero - THE MOVIE that has been long out of print will finally debut for the first time in a 2-Disc Blu-ray + DVD combo pack as a Special Collectors Edition from Shout! Factory, in collaboration with Hasbro, Inc. Featuring the voice talent of Don Johnson, Burgess Meredith, SGT. SLAUGHTER and fan favorites Bill Ratner, Michael Bell and Chris Latta, G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero - THE MOVIE Special Collectors Edition 2-Disc Blu-ray + DVD combo pack contains exciting bonus content including fan-favorite PSAs, printable screenplay with the original movie ending, and audio commentary. The Blu-ray + DVD combo pack edition also offers viewers an exclusive option of viewing the animated movie presentation in widescreen. G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero - THE MOVIE Special Collectors Edition is the final installment to complete last year's G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero - The Complete Series DVD box set. The Special Collectors Edition Blu-ray + DVD combo pack is priced to own at $26.97, and the single disc Special Collectors Edition DVD is available at $16.97 SRP.

G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero - THE MOVIE Special Collector's Edition Synopsis: A 40,000-year-old race of snake people resurface, and with help of SERPENTOR, DESTRO, BARONESS and DR. MINDBENDER, they plan to eliminate all of mankind and rebuild COBRA-LA. Once rulers of Earth, the Snake people were driven underground by ice-age temperatures. While in exile, they developed a plant whose spores turn ordinary men into mindless, weak animals. The key to their plan is the G.I. JOE team's secret project - the Broadcast Energy Transmitter. Only this device generates enough heat so that the spores can mature. Humankind's very existence depends on the G.I. JOE team, but are they strong and smart enough to fight a warrior race with 40,000 years of experience?

BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION:

* Audio commentary with story consultant Buzz Dixon
* The final 8 "Knowing Is Half The Battle" PSAs that were not on the G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero - The Complete Series DVD box set.
* Original Printable Screenplay - this script was written prior to DUKE's miraculous recovery and, thus, DUKE is dead. The script was not altered from this version on paper, but the audio session had an added line where Duke was going to survive the attack.
* Art gallery
* Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack Exclusive: Optional 16x9 Widescreen and 4x3 Full Frame Presentations

About HASBRO
Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time products and services with a rich portfolio of brands and entertainment properties that provides some of the highest quality and most recognizable play and recreational experiences in the world. As a brand-driven, consumer-focused global company, Hasbro brings to market a range of toys, games and licensed products, from traditional to high-tech and digital, under such powerful brand names as G.I. JOE, PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, CRANIUM and WIZARDS OF THE COAST. Come see how we inspire play through our brands at http://www.hasbro.com. © 2010 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

About Shout! Factory
Shout! Factory is a diversified entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their careers sharing their music, television and film faves with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory's DVD offerings serve up classic, contemporary and cult TV series, riveting sports programs, live music, animation and documentaries in lavish packages crammed with extras. The company's audio catalogue boasts GRAMMY-nominated boxed sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable "best of" compilations. These riches are the result of a creative acquisitions mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit www.shoutfactory.com.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/13670
Old 04-26-10, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: The Movie (re-release) ----> 7/27/2010

i'm in. i've been wanting to see this again for a long time.
Old 04-26-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm stoked about this, but only because I have a Blu-ray player. Otherwise, I'd be furious about not getting a widescreen transfer on DVD.
Old 04-26-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was wondering why they were already doing a re-release of the live action film
Old 04-26-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL how many of us who bought the foot locker complete set,are buying the BR, then taking the DVD copy that comes with the set and putting it in the foot locker set just so we can fill in that space they purposely set aside for the movie?
Old 04-26-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...I-I-I...Im not...

>.>
Old 04-27-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update on aspect ratio, via tvshowsondvd.com:

I can't get the damn page to let me copy and paste, but the gist of it is that retailers apparently told Shout! they would only stock a single-disc DVD release. Shout! then figured that the "as originally produced" camp and the BD camp were largely the same, so they decided to put the widescreen version on the Blu-ray and leave the full frame, "as originally released" version to the DVD release. Anyway, in response to fans balking at getting cheated out of a widescreen DVD release, Shout! has scaled back the bit rate on the DVD to include both versions on the one disc. File your new complaints accordingly.

What I don't get is, what difference it makes to retailers whether there's one disc or two in a release, so long as the package occupies the same shelf space. If it's a price point thing, I have a hard time envisioning many of the potential buyers looking at this after years of it being OOP and saying, "You know what? I'm really just not feeling the need to have a 2-disc version of this. Pass."
Old 04-27-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is weird. Unless the retailers perceived an increased cost in having 2 discs in the same package. Makes you wonder how much the middlemen may be standing in the way of what WE actually want, in general.
Old 04-27-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
LOL how many of us who bought the foot locker complete set,are buying the BR, then taking the DVD copy that comes with the set and putting it in the foot locker set just so we can fill in that space they purposely set aside for the movie?
Me. Was planning on getting the Blu and DVD separately, but now I dont have to
Old 04-27-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Update on aspect ratio, via tvshowsondvd.com:

I can't get the damn page to let me copy and paste, but the gist of it is that retailers apparently told Shout! they would only stock a single-disc DVD release. Shout! then figured that the "as originally produced" camp and the BD camp were largely the same, so they decided to put the widescreen version on the Blu-ray and leave the full frame, "as originally released" version to the DVD release. Anyway, in response to fans balking at getting cheated out of a widescreen DVD release, Shout! has scaled back the bit rate on the DVD to include both versions on the one disc. File your new complaints accordingly.

What I don't get is, what difference it makes to retailers whether there's one disc or two in a release, so long as the package occupies the same shelf space. If it's a price point thing, I have a hard time envisioning many of the potential buyers looking at this after years of it being OOP and saying, "You know what? I'm really just not feeling the need to have a 2-disc version of this. Pass."
I'm guessing that is retailers wanting to cut down on costs or items with a higher price point (in terms of DVD's)?
Old 04-27-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why not just release the WS on DVD only. In this day and age of WS TV why do they even release FS and Non-Anamorphic stuff anymore
Old 04-28-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Why not just release the WS on DVD only. In this day and age of WS TV why do they even release FS and Non-Anamorphic stuff anymore
The article I referenced (and can't seem to copy from) mentions that about half the expressed fan interest wanted it in full frame, because that's how it was originally released. It's kind of a unique release, given the OAR (produced vs. released) and dedicated nature of its fans.
Old 04-28-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cobra lalalalalalalalalalalalalala
Old 04-28-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Cobra lalalalalalalalalalalalalala

Before I clicked on this thread, that popped into my head. Good stuff.
Old 04-28-10, 08:21 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

It's amusing to me that the complaints from the people who are only going to buy the dvd got this change, and trying to fit both versions on a dvd is going to hurt the picture quality. And they will probably complain about that too. But then again, this doesn't affect me because I have a blu-ray player and I still have the original disc.
Old 04-28-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow

Old 04-28-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so looking forward to seeing that intro sequence in high-def.
Old 04-28-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Damed
I'm so looking forward to seeing that intro sequence in high-def.
...and in widescreen!
Old 04-28-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If 1.33:1 is the OAR then release it like that. I hate it when they crop movies to widescreen just because they want it to fit a widescreen TV with no black bars
Old 04-28-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JJE-187
If 1.33:1 is the OAR then release it like that. I hate it when they crop movies to widescreen just because they want it to fit a widescreen TV with no black bars
What makes this such a unique release, though, is that it was originally produced in widescreen. But when they decided to pass on releasing it to theaters, it was cropped for home video (as was the practice in the 1980s). So, while 1.33:1 is the original release ratio, it's not the original production ratio.
Old 04-29-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
What makes this such a unique release, though, is that it was originally produced in widescreen. But when they decided to pass on releasing it to theaters, it was cropped for home video (as was the practice in the 1980s). So, while 1.33:1 is the original release ratio, it's not the original production ratio.
But was it actually "produced" in widescreen? I always thought it was like the first season of "Justice League", where it was animated in 1.33:1 but "protected" for the 1.85:1 ratio....I'm really not expecting to see any new extra animation on the sides (so to speak) in the widescreen version, but rather that the top and bottom mattes will now be in place to frame the image as originally intended for the aborted theatrical presentation....
Old 04-29-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the Shout pre-order website for the blu-ray, they are showing two stills which look pretty damn good: http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257177

I'm psyched for the widescreen blu-ray!
Old 04-29-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
But was it actually "produced" in widescreen? I always thought it was like the first season of "Justice League", where it was animated in 1.33:1 but "protected" for the 1.85:1 ratio....I'm really not expecting to see any new extra animation on the sides (so to speak) in the widescreen version, but rather that the top and bottom mattes will now be in place to frame the image as originally intended for the aborted theatrical presentation....
If the production of this movie was anything like Transformers: The Movie, the animation would have been drawn at about 1.4:1, and protected for matting to 1.85:1 in theaters.

See here and here for framing examples from Transformers.

Last edited by Josh Z; 04-29-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Those look perfectly framed for widescreen compositions. Esp the top one: no feet and just enough sky/background to set the scene.

I used to watch the show back in the day, but I don't remember every seeing this movie. I may have to put it into my Netflix list.
Old 05-10-21, 03:41 AM
Banned

and you got an answer?