Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

Old 10-24-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

^Old news. :P
Old 02-10-12, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple solution. If they stop selling the last couple seasons of a show because they'll lose money, just download them. You're saving them money!
Old 01-23-13, 08:09 AM

Digital Bits is reporting that Season 6 is coming out April 9th!!
Old 01-23-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

This will be great if it's true!
Old 01-23-13, 12:38 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveBlair
Digital Bits is reporting that Season 6 is coming out April 9th!!
I will be very happy come 4/9 if this happens.
Old 01-23-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a day one purchase for me. Now if only we could get the next couple seasons of Growing Pains and Facts of Life I think I'd have all the 80s sitcoms I wanted.
Old 01-23-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Family-Ties-Season-6/17994

It's been 2009 since we've seen any releases of the popular sitcom, but after a 4-year hiatus the folks at Paramount Home Entertainment have at last announced Family Ties - The 6th Season on DVD! The four-disc set will be in stores on April 9th, and the cover art is show below. This next-to-last season of the show's run includes guest stars such as those mentioned in the studio description quoted above, plus others such as Jay Thomas, Suzie Plakson, Sandy Ward, John Hancock, Robert Costanzo, Gloria Gifford, David Wohl, Christian Clemenson, and Bibi Besch.

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Family-...#ixzz2IqBuPZvY
Old 01-23-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Wow
Old 01-25-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Cool but what about season 7?
Old 01-25-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Cool but what about season 7?
Jeff, just guessing here that the final season of the show would be out in 4-6 months time.
Old 01-26-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Finally!

Horrible cover but I'm just glad that is being released.
Old 01-30-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Finally!

Horrible cover but I'm just glad that is being released.
Andy looking photoshopped
Old 01-31-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ They should have used one of his mug shots.

Spoiler:
Old 01-31-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
Andy looking photoshopped
So does Jennifer and Mallory...
Old 02-03-13, 01:17 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

"So, Doc, what's it like in the year 2015?"

"It's great, Marty! They just released the last season of Family Ties on DVD!"
Old 04-03-13, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rmw650
Jeff, just guessing here that the final season of the show would be out in 4-6 months time.
What makes you even guess that? The studios never explain the reason for the long gap between releases. I don't get why now if sales was what made them stop.

I was just noticing I had Party of Five free through Amazon Prime and when I searched for season 4 (they stopped THAT release after season 3 out of 6 seasons), I saw Sony released season 4 about a week ago on MOD discs. But I sold off seasons 1-3 long ago having given up and I'm not about to buy season 4 without knowing I'll get seasons 5 and 6 before I have white hair (or ever) and I feel the same way about Family Ties.

When I see season 7 for sale, then I'll re-buy. Studios shouldn't complain about bad sales if they do this kind of thing. Something made them want to release season 6 and it wasn't huge sales in the years since the last release and, as much as I love PO5, it was not a classic like Family Ties and yet 5 years later, slow sales and all, season 4 comes out. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 04-03-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I only have the first and second seasons of this but if Paramount is going to continue with the series and finish it I'll pick them all up eventually. Too bad they didn't just do seasons six and seven at the same time or put them in one set though.
Old 04-03-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
I only have the first and second seasons of this but if Paramount is going to continue with the series and finish it I'll pick them all up eventually. Too bad they didn't just do seasons six and seven at the same time or put them in one set though.
And so they complain about sales? I bet if they released the last two seasons now or a complete set, they'd sell more units than how they're doing it now because a lot of people like me sold off their old seasons or, like you, only have a few and didn't want to invest more. All those people would start gobbling up the new and the old seasons. I'm sure it wouldn't be a fortune, but it would be a better model than how they're doing it.

I know by holding off, that might just mean a longer wait or no season seven until I'm a grandfather or dead, but I refuse to do this again and have to sell them off again in 3 years because season 7 isn't going to get a release. Same with PO5. No way I'm spending $30 now for season 4 when they won't tell the customer they will be releasing seasons 5 and 6. Stupid companies.
Old 04-03-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
What makes you even guess that? The studios never explain the reason for the long gap between releases. I don't get why now if sales was what made them stop.

I was just noticing I had Party of Five free through Amazon Prime and when I searched for season 4 (they stopped THAT release after season 3 out of 6 seasons), I saw Sony released season 4 about a week ago on MOD discs. But I sold off seasons 1-3 long ago having given up and I'm not about to buy season 4 without knowing I'll get seasons 5 and 6 before I have white hair (or ever) and I feel the same way about Family Ties.

When I see season 7 for sale, then I'll re-buy. Studios shouldn't complain about bad sales if they do this kind of thing. Something made them want to release season 6 and it wasn't huge sales in the years since the last release and, as much as I love PO5, it was not a classic like Family Ties and yet 5 years later, slow sales and all, season 4 comes out. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Dude, relax. if you re-read my thread on here it was just a guestimate, not a for certain date, so please don't misinterpret what I stated here.

I'm figuring after this gets released next week, give it 4-8 months time at best for the final season to be released so the show is finally completed on this format. It'll happen but just a matter now of [first] releasing this into retailers and see where it goes saleswise (which should do well) before the last season gets released. At least it's a good pattern it got released after a long hiatus. So again, relax, take a few deep breaths and it'll be all right.
Old 04-03-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, relax. if you re-read my thread on here it was just a guestimate, not a for certain date, so please don't misinterpret what I stated here.

I'm figuring after this gets released next week, give it 4-8 months time at best for the final season to be released so the show is finally completed on this format. It'll happen but just a matter now of [first] releasing this into retailers and see where it goes saleswise (which should do well) before the last season gets released. At least it's a good pattern it got released after a long hiatus. So again, relax, take a few deep breaths and it'll be all right.
The "dude relax" thing is really getting old on here. Really, with all due respect, I think it's you that needs to relax. I'm not exactly sure why you think my comments have anything to do with you or why you feel attacked, but you just quoted a comment that I made that is entirely my own opinion on things and really has NOTHING to do with you AT ALL.

The ONLY reason you were quoted in my post, the one before you quoted me, was to ask why you thought a new release might be coming relatively soon. EVERYTHING after that question was simply my own thoughts again about how these releases are being handled. I doubt if anyone here thought I wad directing my feelings to you.

And, please, no venting on message boards? They would cease to exist if people couldn't discuss their frustrations. I hardly went on a rampage with my comments like someone obsessed with Family Ties and Party of Five. I articulated my opinions and, I think, very reasonably, discussed my own opinions on the matter.

So, again, I'm not picking a fight, but I hardly went all Bill O'Reilly in the thread and nothing but one sentence was directed at you, so I don't think I need to take a breath or relax. At least not about anything DVDTalk related anyway.
Old 04-03-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

That's why I don't bother selling my DVDs for shows that are unfinished by studios. I'd rather have some of a series than none at all (the only exception I could see is a heavily serialized show or something that overlaps story arcs from season to season). Not to mention on the off chance that the studio does decide to release the remaining episodes/seasons such as in this instance I already have some and don't have to rebuy.
Old 04-04-13, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really understand the not buying seasons if they won't release the whole series, or selling seasons you already have. Especially for a sitcom. If you really like the show, I'd imagine you'd be happy to have some of it rather than none of it.

Very odd to me.
Old 04-04-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I don't really understand the not buying seasons if they won't release the whole series, or selling seasons you already have. Especially for a sitcom. If you really like the show, I'd imagine you'd be happy to have some of it rather than none of it.

Very odd to me.
I honestly can't imagine watching a favorite show without being able to watch the whole thing. When Alex leaves his bedroom in the final show is an extremely poignant moment and I don't think Family Ties is your normal sitcom that you just watch random episodes of to laugh (like Married With Children).

There's more drama than most sitcoms and I think it's more of a full story of the family. If someone offered me 2/3rds of the seasons for free and I really believed or knew they would never release the rest, I'd have to pass. That's just me.

But, like with PO5, although it took a long time to find this option, now I can stream all the seasons with my Amazon Prime for free. That works just fine. Now, if they do release all the seasons, and the MOD quality is as good as the regular discs, I will absolutely buy them all again.

I know I keep hearing blu-ray/dvd will eventually, maybe sooner than later, die off because of streaming, but for my favorite shows and my favorite movies, I still prefer to have physical copies. Of course, there's very little left that I want on dvd. Family Ties and PO5 may actually be it.
Old 04-04-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
The "dude relax" thing is really getting old on here. Really, with all due respect, I think it's you that needs to relax. I'm not exactly sure why you think my comments have anything to do with you or why you feel attacked, but you just quoted a comment that I made that is entirely my own opinion on things and really has NOTHING to do with you AT ALL.

The ONLY reason you were quoted in my post, the one before you quoted me, was to ask why you thought a new release might be coming relatively soon. EVERYTHING after that question was simply my own thoughts again about how these releases are being handled. I doubt if anyone here thought I wad directing my feelings to you.

And, please, no venting on message boards? They would cease to exist if people couldn't discuss their frustrations. I hardly went on a rampage with my comments like someone obsessed with Family Ties and Party of Five. I articulated my opinions and, I think, very reasonably, discussed my own opinions on the matter.

So, again, I'm not picking a fight, but I hardly went all Bill O'Reilly in the thread and nothing but one sentence was directed at you, so I don't think I need to take a breath or relax. At least not about anything DVDTalk related anyway.
You're getting bent out of shape for nothing. If you would have worded your original question in a different manner, then I wouldn't have taken or interpreted your concern in a much different way than I originally did. You came off as saying how I actually knew of such information or how I could be so certain as to such a release actually happening? (Just re-read the question you posed and you tell me how that would sound to someone else?)

I was just making a guess at my end as to when the final season of this show would come out and then YOU'RE the one that goes off on a tirade as if having the DVDs is a life or death situation with you and how in the world do I know this date for certain? Then why even quote me if you were going to answer in that regard? Hence why I replied the way I did.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but next time around, just word your questions so it doesn't come off as brash at your end. Time to move onwards here and good luck to you.
Old 04-04-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're getting bent out of shape for nothing. If you would have worded your original question in a different manner, then I wouldn't have taken or interpreted your concern in a much different way than I originally did. You came off as saying how I actually knew of such information or how I could be so certain as to such a release actually happening? (Just re-read the question you posed and you tell me how that would sound to someone else?)

I was just making a guess at my end as to when the final season of this show would come out and then YOU'RE the one that goes off on a tirade as if having the DVDs is a life or death situation with you and how in the world do I know this date for certain? Then why even quote me if you were going to answer in that regard? Hence why I replied the way I did.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but next time around, just word your questions so it doesn't come off as brash at your end. Time to move onwards here and good luck to you.
Dude, relax? Tirade? Life or death? Brash?

I re-read it and, honestly, you seem to be describing yourself. I created the thread, so I don't think it surprises anyone that I'm very interested in getting the last two seasons of Family Ties.

I think I've made similar comments through the thread and I haven't been accused of going on a tirade, being brash or thinking the release of dvds is life and death until you came along.

Years ago, I might have over-reacted the way that you did, but I learned to not personalize everything that's written on a message board. If you think I've been tyrannical and brash, then I won't argue with you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.