Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Four week rental delay for Universal & Fox at Netflix as well

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Four week rental delay for Universal & Fox at Netflix as well

Looks like the other studios are following Warner's lead regarding rental delays. Fox will start with the Avatar rental release coming a month after the DVD/BD starts selling.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4415

Following the model set by Warner Home Video early this year (see Blu-ray.com, January 6), Netflix has struck deals with Universal Studios Home Entertainment and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment covering the distribution of new release DVD and Blu-ray titles from both studios at Netflix. Those will be made available to Netflix members after a 28-day window, giving the studios a dedicated time period for sales.

Netflix receives the benefits of reduced product costs, significantly more units and better in-stock levels four weeks after street date.

"As the home entertainment market continues to evolve, we're exploring new and creative approaches to distribution with our key studio partners," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix. "Our intent is to forge agreements that make sense for the companies involved and that, on the whole, improve the consumer experience and the movie ecosystem. We believe the Universal deals accomplish that."

"We're extremely pleased to have reached this mutually beneficial arrangement that will allow Netflix subscribers to continue enjoying Universal's film content on DVD and Blu-ray," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

The first release covered under the new agreement is the comedy It's Complicated, which will be available to Netflix subscribers 28 days after its April 27 street date. The Wolfman, with a release date of June 1, will also be affected by that delay.

Netflix assures that new releases "will continue to represent an important component" of its service, and deals such as these with Universal will allow Netflix to be better in stock on new releases after a brief window "while continuing to enhance the scope and attractiveness of the streaming content Netflix members receive."

Update

Reuters is reporting that Netflix has struck a similar deal with Fox, which will affect future new releases from the studio, including Avatar, which will be avalable to rent at Netflix from May 20, after its April 22 DVD/Blu-ray release date.
Old 04-09-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Four week rental delay for Universal & Fox at Netflix as well

Pretty dumb. But if I'm willing to wait 3-4 months to see a movie, I can certainly wait one more.
Old 04-09-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, this is only going to make me wait to rent it. I have enough stuff to watch in the meantime and if I really wanted to see the movie that bad in the first place, I'd see it at the theater.
Old 04-09-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, this is only going to make me wait to rent it. I have enough stuff to watch in the meantime and if I really wanted to see the movie that bad in the first place, I'd see it at the theater.
Good Point. I don't rent movies, I buy them. But waiting for months for a movie to come out on DVD after it was just in the theater hasn't been a problem.
I'll just wait til it's released then I buy it. In the meantime I have plenty of other things to watch until release day. If it's something I really want to see I'll go and see it in the theater and then wait months after to buy it, If I like it..
Old 04-09-10, 12:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was wondering why Avatar had an unknown release date on their site even though the release date was getting close.
Old 04-09-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Initially I hated the extra 4 week wait, but if I didn't make the time to see the movie in theatres 3-4 months ago, what's an extra 4 weeks? Plus, I already have 250 movies in my queue, so I will always have something coming in.
Old 04-09-10, 09:57 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope Universal doesn't follow the lead of Fox and Warner of making rental versions with the extras stripped off. Warner did this crap on Where the Wild things are and the Box. I dont want to buy to see the extras.
Old 04-10-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We have so many in our queue I don't think we'll notice a difference.
Old 04-10-10, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought part of the deals were that BB received Rental copies and NF received retail copies?
Old 04-11-10, 12:40 AM
g

No. I've been getting rental copies for all new warner releases since this delayed release started from Netflix. Really is the worst as now they want us to buy the disks to get the extras.
Old 04-11-10, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be interesting to see if the studios did any kind of survey to determine whether or not extra features were desired by renters. As a renter EF are not that important to me. What I do expect is a menu, skippable trailers, and both the theatrical and uncut versions when applicable.
Old 04-11-10, 10:43 PM
g

The studios are trying to convince people to buy their movies instead of renting them. But they don't want to leave the renter's money on the table either. Hence they are delaying them and cutting the extras to try to get more sales. Therefore they care little what the renters want.