Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

RIP Macho Man.
Now onto the DVDs, that Cage match cover looks very rushed.
Old 05-21-11, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kevy
any news yet on the cage match listing?
Disc 1

Introduction by Josh Mathews

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship
Bob Backlund vs. Pat Patterson
Madison Square Garden 24th September, 1979

Bob Backlund vs. Jimmy ‘Superfly’ Snuka
Madison Square Garden 19th May, 1980

Steel Cage Match
Bruno Sammartino vs. Larry Zbyszko
Shea Stadium 9th August, 1980

World Class Mayhem

Steel Cage Match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
‘Nature Boy’ Ric Flair vs. Kerry Von Erich
Christmas Star Wars 25th December, 1982

Steel Cage Match for the NWA World Tag Team Championship
Ivan & Nikita Koloff vs. Rock ‘N’ Roll Express
Starrcade 28th November, 1985

Steel Cage Match
Road Warriors vs. Michael P.S. Hayes & ‘Gorgeous’ Jimmy Garvin
WrestleRock 20th April, 1986

Hardcore Style

Steel Cage Match
Abdullah the Butcher vs. Bruiser Brody
Cotton Bowl Extravaganza 12th October, 1986

Steel Cage Match
Midnight Rockers vs. ‘Playboy’ Buddy Rose & ‘Pretty Boy’ Doug Somers
Brawl in St. Paul 25th December, 1986

Steel Cage Match
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant
WrestleFest 31st July, 1988

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disc 2

Gladiator in a Steel Cage

Steel Cage Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
‘Nature Boy’ Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger
Capital Combat 19th May, 1990

Ultimate Warrior vs. ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude
SummerSlam 27th August, 1990

Steel Cage Match
Ultimate Warrior vs. ‘Macho King’ Randy Savage
Madison Square Garden 21st January, 1991

A Shattered Relationship

Steel Cage Match for the Intercontinental Championship
Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty
White Plains, NY 17th August, 1993

Steel Cage Match
Mankind vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley
SummerSlam 3rd August, 1997

The Rattlesnake vs. The Boss

Steel Cage Match
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon
St. Valentine’s Day Massacre 14th February, 1999

The Rock vs. Triple H
Rebellion 2nd October, 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disc 3

New School of Aggression

Steel Cage Match to Unify the Tag Team Championships
Dudley Boyz vs. Hardy Boyz
Survivor Series 18th November, 2001

Steel Cage Match
Edge vs. Chris Jericho
SmackDown 25th July, 2002

Steel Cage Match
Chris Jericho vs. Christian
Raw 10th May, 2004

Steel Cage Match
Randy Orton vs. ‘Nature Boy’ Ric Flair
Taboo Tuesday 19th October, 2004

Passion and Emotion

Steel Cage Match
Matt Hardy vs. Edge
Unforgiven 18th September, 2005

John Cena vs. Edge
Raw 2nd October, 2006

Batista vs. Chris Jericho
Raw 3rd November, 2008

CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy
SmackDown 28th August, 2009
Old 05-21-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still getting this set anyways. Always good to watch the old-school stuff once again.
Old 05-22-11, 02:08 PM
Cool New Member

11 repeats and 13 new matches (including an unreleased World title change). I can't complain. Only 3 repeats from the first cage match set, so it's a decent companion set to the first one.
Old 05-22-11, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BengalCP09
11 repeats and 13 new matches (including an unreleased World title change). I can't complain. Only 3 repeats from the first cage match set, so it's a decent companion set to the first one.

Man, what are you talking about?? There is more than 3 repeats on this dvd. Bloodbath had Backlund vs. Patterson, Sammartino vs. Zbyszko, Backlund vs. Snuka, Michaels vs. Jannetty, Triple H vs. Mankind, Triple H vs. The Rock, and Austin vs. McMahon on it. So clearly this dvd set is just pretty much a waste, but that's just my opinion on it.

Or at least put some cage matches on it off the old WWE Coliseum video "Inside The Steel Cage" like Andre vs. Studd, so people can see Andre jump off the top rope and do a ass first splash on Studd.

They could have also at least included the ECW cage match of the Public Enemy and Mikey Whipwreck vs. New Jack, 2 Cold Scorpio and The Sandman. That was a sweet cage match. Or any ECW would be nice on it.
Old 05-22-11, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

This is what I'm talking about. The only 3 full matches on Bloodbath and this are Backlund v Patterson, Michaels v Jannetty and HHH v Mankind. The rest were majorly clipped and jip, so they aren't repeats to me.
Old 05-22-11, 05:11 PM

They still showed enough of the match on that Blood Bath dvd for me to count as repeats. There is just so many other cage matches out there that they could have put out but we get so many recycled stuff. But that's WWE video for ya!
Old 05-22-11, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by jammer311
They still showed enough of the match on that Blood Bath dvd for me to count as repeats. There is just so many other cage matches out there that they could have put out but we get so many recycled stuff. But that's WWE video for ya!
Absolutely, it's not like there is only a handful of matches to pick from, they should have had this set as a counterpart to the first (not just replace it) then they could have sold twin packs etc. I really wanted the Andre/Kamala and No Holds Barred matches.

Also I only counted 10 unreleased matches. (The Rockers match is on the AWA set and both World Class matches are on Triumph and Tragedy - I think those are the ones missing). And if you count Colesium Video as a release you can take off another 2 (Hulk/Andre and Savage/Warrior), and the Flair/Orton match is on the Taboo Tuesday DVD. But I'll give them those 3 as unreleased.

The Showdownat Shea has no commentary and as the set isn't listed with special commentary I guess it will have none or the Cole/Foley track from the 24/7 version.

Finally... On the match listing I think the date of Backlund/Snuka is a couple of years wrong, I think it should be June 82 not May 80.

Last edited by md2810; 05-22-11 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Finally...
Old 05-22-11, 10:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by md2810
Absolutely, it's not like there is only a handful of matches to pick from, they should have had this set as a counterpart to the first (not just replace it) then they could have sold twin packs etc. I really wanted the Andre/Kamala and No Holds Barred matches.

Also I only counted 10 unreleased matches. (The Rockers match is on the AWA set and both World Class matches are on Triumph and Tragedy - I think those are the ones missing). And if you count Colesium Video as a release you can take off another 2 (Hulk/Andre and Savage/Warrior), and the Flair/Orton match is on the Taboo Tuesday DVD. But I'll give them those 3 as unreleased.

The Showdownat Shea has no commentary and as the set isn't listed with special commentary I guess it will have none or the Cole/Foley track from the 24/7 version.

Finally... On the match listing I think the date of Backlund/Snuka is a couple of years wrong, I think it should be June 82 not May 80.
I can give people that they count clipped matches as released. Though they honestly show about 45 seconds of the Shea match and Coach is talking over the entire thing combined with cross cuts of The Fink. How anyone can call that released is beyond me. But you're pushing it even mentioning Coliseum Video. Though funny enough, you specifically mention 2 Coliseum Video matches that you wanted in the first paragraph. :-).

I did miss Brody - Abdullah being on WCCW release. Not sure how the search eluded that one as I have the date right on my matchlist. But that's cool, my bad.

Of course I and anyone else who collects wants all new matches. But that's not realistic. It's hard to sell a DVD compilation called "Best Cage Matches" and only release what hasn't been released. Granted I don't think a Backlund - Patterson repeat would drives sales like an actual famous repeat match would and they could've as easily put in Backlund - Valentine instead. But at the same time, you actually had people in this thread saying they were hoping for Flair - Race (released 2x, both in print) and Hart - Hart (released 4x, all in print). The number of us that collect all of these is far outweighed by those that cherry pick or randomly buy one in Walmart. Unless they specifically make it an unreleased set like Hogan's or say "Unreleased Title Changes" (great idea), or even a Best of TV season set, you have to expect it. If not, we're going to be stuck with a bunch Khali matches (bad idea).

Interestingly, of the 11 full matches on Bloodbath, only 3 are still exclusive to it.
Old 05-23-11, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by BengalCP09
But you're pushing it even mentioning Coliseum Video. Though funny enough, you specifically mention 2 Coliseum Video matches that you wanted in the first paragraph. :-).
Yeah I wouldn't really count Colesium Video ever as released (it's just I knew those ones were released as I had both tapes - Wrestlefest and Mega Matches) So I recall watching those matches quite a lot when I was younger. The Andre and No Holds Barred - those were on tapes I didn't have (Supertape was the No Holds barred I borrowed that off a friend once , I'm not sure which was the Andre one - but there was a clip of that match in the open to the old tapes.

WWE should release those old Best of WWF Tapes in an Anthology that would be cool. Plus they judged edite them for COD. They should release them with a limited run through WWEshop.com I guess you'd get them all on about 6 discs.
Old 05-23-11, 11:43 AM

WWE would never release those old coliseum videos on dvd. Think about the royalties Vince would have to pay out to Jesse Ventura for his commentary or hosting jobs on some of them. What WWE could do is just make like a 3 disc set of "Best of the Coliseum" or something and pick out random matches that were on all the coliseum videos. But I doubt that would ever happen either.
Old 05-23-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love a compilation DVD set of the Coliseum Video packages and the best moments of MSG too.
Old 05-23-11, 06:28 PM

I just find it funny that the old coliseum videos that the WWE chose to bring out on DVD were not even the best ones to choose from. Like the Intercontinental Title dvd set that came out with those 5 matches on it from 92 - 93 era, and the Andre The Giant dvd that came out too during that time frame. When something like Hulkamania 1 and 2 double dvd set or Hart Foundation and British Bulldogs dvd sets from that Coliseum era would be hot sellers.
Old 05-23-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess this counts as "wrestling" related. TNA's Winter is hosting a new Elvira-esque DVD series entitled Katarina's Nightmare Theater for Scorpion Releasing. Here is a shot of the first 6 covers:
Old 05-24-11, 12:38 AM

I've been wanting to see American Nightmare!
Old 05-24-11, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I think that's an awesome idea.
Old 05-24-11, 06:55 PM

Best of Nitro artwork pics - http://www.wrestlingdvdnews.com/wwe-...vd-pics/13468/

Last edited by chocoboy87; 06-11-13 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chocoboy87
I love the artwork pictures! I am very excited for the DVD!
Old 05-25-11, 08:05 PM
Cool New Member

Always worried about WWE's handling of WCW product, though.
Old 05-25-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something interesting i noticed on FYE.com, the Nitro set will have an exclusive;

http://www.fye.com/WWE--The-Very-Bes...VVviewprod.htm

My guess it's probably going to be packaged with Rise and Fall of WCW, hoping it would be a bonus disc but doubt it since WWE haven't done one in years for a DVD set.
Old 05-26-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely looking forward to this set as well, and hoping rhe contents are printed on the flap like WM 27 was.
Old 05-26-11, 04:03 PM

The Nitro dvd for what it has on it, is good to pick up for sure. I have all of that stuff already since I have all the Nitro's already from getting them in packs in tape trading years ago. But for any fan who wants to see the best WCW Nitro angles and matches, this dvd set gives it to ya.

All that is missing now for WCW fans is a 3 disc set on Clash of the Champions matches. I always felt that some of the Clash matches were better than the ppv matches.
Old 05-26-11, 08:33 PM

Over the Limit 2011 DVD cover confirmed - http://www.wrestlingdvdnews.com/wwe-...d-cover/13554/

(Miz poster)

Last edited by chocoboy87; 06-11-13 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-28-11, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jammer311
The Nitro dvd for what it has on it, is good to pick up for sure. I have all of that stuff already since I have all the Nitro's already from getting them in packs in tape trading years ago. But for any fan who wants to see the best WCW Nitro angles and matches, this dvd set gives it to ya.

All that is missing now for WCW fans is a 3 disc set on Clash of the Champions matches. I always felt that some of the Clash matches were better than the ppv matches.
If they really wanted to make use of the library, they could easily squeeze another 2 Best Of Nitros in, and Best Of PPVs (Like what they did with Starrcade).
Old 05-28-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dillkid
If they really wanted to make use of the library, they could easily squeeze another 2 Best Of Nitros in, and Best Of PPVs (Like what they did with Starrcade).
Yeah, and they also have to be able to sell a fair number of copies to make it worth their while. Some of the WCW stuff sells ok for them I think, but when you start getting into the more "niche" product it gets dicey for them. I guarantee you that overall, they do not move anywhere near the number of copies of any given release that people think they do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.