Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2010 Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: May 2010 Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge Discussion Thread

I was able to hit my initial goal, but not the upped goal I set after I realized I would be home for most of the month, had the flu a few weeks ago and just never got back into it for some reason. With that said, I'm pretty happy with my total, and I got through a few sets I've been wanting to get through.
Old 06-01-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

So, what's the consensus on this whole Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge deal? Do we want to do this again next year, or was it a waste of space? I see a few people reserved spots and didn't list anything (but that's not really unusual).

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
In all actuality, the Hitchcock Marathon should have been my whole month-long challenge. I'll probably just look at it as a sneak preview to the next MYOC.
I can't recommend it enough. I had a great time with my Challenge.

It was a little slow going at first because most of Hitchcock's early films are chick flicks (usually concerning a romantic triangle involving a woman and the two men who love her), and the first eight are silents (I like silent films, but I like them in moderation), so it was kind of hard to want to watch them day after day. But after I did, for the most part I was glad I did.

You can't help but notice all the domineering or just outright nutty mothers that appear throughout his films, and it was interesting to see how often he returned to the old romantic triangle theme in his later suspense films (e.g. Notorious and Dial M for Murder). Even on the "Making of" documentary on the Psycho DVD, someone (I forget who) described the early part of the film as possibly playing out like the start of a romantic triangle film to someone who hadn't seen it before. (Marion, trapped in a crappy relationship with her married lover, Sam, steals the money so they can finally be together. Then she meets Norman, who's trapped in a crappy relationship with his mother.)

If you can, try to watch his TV work too. I only found one of my Hitchcock books that even talked about his TV stuff, yet he famously used his TV crew to film Psycho, he had originally planned to make The Birds an episode of his show (according to the documentary on the DVD), and, just like with his films, he used and reused actors he liked across both media. Plus, a few of the shows are just damned good viewing.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-01-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-01-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
So, what's the consensus on this whole Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge deal? Do we want to do this again next year, or was it a waste of space? I see a few people reserved spots and didn't list anything (but that's not really unusual).
Loved this challenge. I think the lack of discussion was due to everyone doing their own thing. Really, the only challenge that gets massive participation is the horror challenge.
Old 06-01-10, 07:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I loved everything about it, and even if the participation wasn't all that much, I still think it is easily the most creative and 'best' Challenge DVDTalk has.

I think any new Challenge needs at least three years before we even start to think about abandoning it. Do it, accumulate input, tweak it, repeat.

I regret that, as usual, my comments and personal list maintenance was largely abandoned. This time, I watched things too slowly the first week or two, then realized that I had an insane amount of watching to do to finish my goal. So the final two weeks I had little time for anything besides work and watching Tolkien stuff. I'm a little tired of sitting, and will spend a bit less time in front of the TV this month.
Old 06-01-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I liked it although in a way I "failed" since I changed my challenge mid-way. I didn't want to watch stuff that wouldn't be as enjoyable with the idea in the back of my mind that I'd rather be watching something else.
Old 06-01-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed your Challenges too. Yeah, I wasn't expecting a lot of discussion during the Challenge since we were all on our own, but I figured I'd bump this thread now so we could all get and give some feedback.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I regret that, as usual, my comments and personal list maintenance was largely abandoned. This time, I watched things too slowly the first week or two, then realized that I had an insane amount of watching to do to finish my goal. So the final two weeks I had little time for anything besides work and watching Tolkien stuff. I'm a little tired of sitting, and will spend a bit less time in front of the TV this month.
I know what you mean. My Drive-In Challenge list dropped from a few sentences for each film, to a single sentence (or a few words), to just the film title near the end of the month. I was going to go back and finish it, but then I started watching Hitchcock films.

Now I'd like to listen to the commentaries on the Hitchcock films (I was able to watch all the documentaries and other extras, which were sometimes as long as the films), but now I'm staring at a stack of unwatched Jimmy Stewart Westerns...
Old 06-01-10, 08:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I know what you mean. My Drive-In Challenge list dropped from a few sentences for each film, to a single sentence (or a few words), to just the film title near the end of the month. I was going to go back and finish it, but then I started watching Hitchcock films.

Now I'd like to listen to the commentaries on the Hitchcock films (I was able to watch all the documentaries and other extras, which were sometimes as long as the films), but now I'm staring at a stack of unwatched Jimmy Stewart Westerns...
I know exactly how you feel. Watching what I did has me in the mood to watch some more Peter Jackson or Viggo Mortenson films, but I feel like I can't, it's western time now.

I love having a Challenge almost every month, but launching right into a new one does put a stop to my usual post-Challenge list clean-up/additions.

I'll have to come up with a system to keep up a little better in the future. I just bought a laptop a couple days ago, so having that couch-side or bedside while I watch might help in that matter.
Old 06-01-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a great time even though I didn't watch as much as I wanted to (isn't this always the case)... but being that it was my own challenge, that didn't bother me too much. I never really set a goal. I really wanted to keep up the Hitchcock Marathon, but I got too busy. If I had started it early in the month, I may have abandoned the rest of my mini-challenges. I'll probably take Dimension X's advice and do another one for the next MYOC... or at the very least make it a two week marathon... depending on my mood. I like that I had small marathons so I never got burned out on them.

Thanks, Dimension X, for hosting this fun challenge.
Old 06-01-10, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I bombed it pretty bad thanks to a lack of time (ironically, I just lost my job as this challenge ended so now I'd have plenty of time), I thought it was a great challenge, and I already know of a few other themes I'd like to marathon. I might have to revisit my personal theme just because I still have an entire shelf of Asian action films I've never seen. I am glad I was able to check out SPL and Dog Bite Dog which I think I would already consider amongst my favorites of the genre, and it makes me wonder what other gems I have waiting to be found.
Old 06-01-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a good time. Watched a lot of movies I've been meaning to watch. Looking forward to doing a completely different challenge next year.
Old 06-01-10, 11:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved this challenge, there was alot (and I mean ALOT) to choose from 'music' themed wise, but time and some work around the house, got the best of me, would have loved to seen a second musical specifically Signature Theatre's production of "[Title of Show]" but never got around to it - oh well - it was a blast! will get around to totalling my final count sometime in the next couple of days, but simple math is something I don't feel like doing at almost 1 in the morning. Over and out.
Old 06-02-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely a good challenge imho!

but like many, i failed a bit. which leads me to think that this challenge is especially difficult, since it is potentially so open and limitless, which is part of the nature of it. but at the same time, that is one aspect that makes it so appealing. i feel like the guy from princess bride. does that makes sense?
Old 06-02-10, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I liked it although in a way I "failed" since I changed my challenge mid-way. I didn't want to watch stuff that wouldn't be as enjoyable with the idea in the back of my mind that I'd rather be watching something else.
You guys kept talking about that icheckmovies site and it was all I could do to keep myself from signing up. I waste enough time as it is without adding something like that to the mix. Plus I'm afraid I'd only mess with it for a few weeks and then let it slide, and feel worse for not keeping up with it.
Originally Posted by Trevor
I know exactly how you feel. Watching what I did has me in the mood to watch some more Peter Jackson or Viggo Mortenson films, but I feel like I can't, it's western time now.
It was nice to segue into Westerns with a film that starred two Hitchcock "regulars" (James Stewart and Vera Miles), had costumes designed by Edith Head, had a romantic triangle at the center of its plot, and even ended with a scene on a train.

I really wanted to keep up the Hitchcock Marathon, but I got too busy. If I had started it early in the month, I may have abandoned the rest of my mini-challenges. I'll probably take Dimension X's advice and do another one for the next MYOC...
Like I said, I can't recommend it enough. I just wish I'd had more information on the shooting dates for the TV shows, so I could've been more confident in the order I watched them.
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I had a good time. Watched a lot of movies I've been meaning to watch. Looking forward to doing a completely different challenge next year.
I think I'll watch James Bond movies next year. I have a bunch of those in my unwatched stacks.
Old 06-02-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had fun with it and actually exceeded my modest goal of 30.

I would be up for it again next year.
Old 06-02-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys kept talking about that icheckmovies site and it was all I could do to keep myself from signing up. I waste enough time as it is without adding something like that to the mix. Plus I'm afraid I'd only mess with it for a few weeks and then let it slide, and feel worse for not keeping up with it.
That's what I said after I signed up. The daily ranking and awards is what keeps it fresh for me.
Old 06-02-10, 07:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Count me in for next years. I had a blast watching all comic book films and wish I wouldn't have lost two weeks due to traveling for work. It was interesting to see what everyone else was doing and I'm already cooking up ideas for next time.
Old 06-02-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I did awful in this challenge....but I would love to put more effort in for the next run.
Old 06-03-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's what I said after I signed up. The daily ranking and awards is what keeps it fresh for me.
I'll probably break down and sign up already. Any tips for a beginner?
Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Count me in for next years. I had a blast watching all comic book films and wish I wouldn't have lost two weeks due to traveling for work. It was interesting to see what everyone else was doing and I'm already cooking up ideas for next time.
Comic Book Movies was the theme I saw that I'd most like to steal for my own challenge. I don't have too many in my unwatched stacks, but I have a bunch I haven't watched recently that I'd like to revisit.
Old 06-04-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll probably break down and sign up already. Any tips for a beginner?
Instead of going list by list and checking movies, under 2. Movies, select Unchecked. Sort it however you want and start checking stuff. Not everything that's in the unchecked is in a list and you'll start seeing the same stuff in multiple lists.

On the other hand, the only movies that "count" are ones in lists. When the lists get updated, it shows what are added and dropped. If you just checked stuff on lists, you'd then just have to check any newly added movies you hadn't checked before.

Once you start watching unchecked movies, the fastest way to fill up lists is to go off your unchecked movies and sort by Number of top list entries. That's how I've been doing it, other than when I focused on completing the exploitation list.
Old 06-04-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I faded down the stretch with Crawford and Sirk, but I'm down for next year. The goal will be to watch every movie Bette Davis ever made. As of now, I've managed to track down around 80% of them.
Old 06-04-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

The daily ranking and awards is what keeps it fresh for me.
The site's introduced me to a number of newfound gems too:

The Mascot
Day For Night
The Way Things Go
Pray the Devil Back to Hell
I Met the Walrus
Tourist Trap
The Day of the Jackal
Limelight
The Man Who Planted Trees
The Curse of the Crying Woman
Hour of the Wolf
Old 06-04-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention: big to Dimension X for running this.
Old 06-04-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Instead of going list by list and checking movies, under 2. Movies, select Unchecked. Sort it however you want and start checking stuff. Not everything that's in the unchecked is in a list and you'll start seeing the same stuff in multiple lists.

On the other hand, the only movies that "count" are ones in lists. When the lists get updated, it shows what are added and dropped. If you just checked stuff on lists, you'd then just have to check any newly added movies you hadn't checked before.

Once you start watching unchecked movies, the fastest way to fill up lists is to go off your unchecked movies and sort by Number of top list entries. That's how I've been doing it, other than when I focused on completing the exploitation list.
Thanks. I'll probably start on it Sunday or Monday.
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I faded down the stretch with Crawford and Sirk, but I'm down for next year. The goal will be to watch every movie Bette Davis ever made. As of now, I've managed to track down around 80% of them.
I really liked focusing on one filmmaker for a month. While rewatching some of their films last month, I couldn't help but think how much fun it'd be to do a Cary Grant or James Stewart Challenge some time. I doubt I'm anywhere close to 80% complete on either of their work though.
Thanks, Dimension X, for hosting this fun challenge.
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I forgot to mention: big to Dimension X for running this.
Thanks. And a big thanks back to everyone who participated. You guys did all the real work. I just started a couple of threads.
Old 06-05-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I don't think I had chimed in yet with my post-challenge thoughts - I enjoyed it a ton. The timing was perfect for me in that I had more time in May than I thought I would have going in, so I was able to knock out a bunch of unwatched TV on DVD. Since the first of June, I've been slammed however, so my contributions to the historical challenge have been next to nothing.

Look forward to the next MYOC. I'll probably stick with TV on DVD again since I know I'll have some unwatched and I can compete against my totals for this challenge.