Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2010 Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: May 2010 Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge Discussion Thread

OK, I'ma do a foreign language film challenge, since it sounds like, as of now, there is no "official" challenge set up. If anyone objects, let me know.
Old 04-23-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
OK, I'ma do a foreign language film challenge, since it sounds like, as of now, there is no "official" challenge set up. If anyone objects, let me know.
props for the pic in your listing post
Old 04-24-10, 01:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like Jeffy Pop's pick since I have alot of foreign films in my yet to watch pile and the idea of doing a 'tv on dvd/bluray' another huge slate of discs I've yet to watch....

but...

I'll think I'll just go completely different and do "Music" covering musicals, music concerts, videos, music documentaries, et, al.
Old 04-24-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to, fucking finally, try to watch the Alien Quadrilogy box set. It seems a bit overwhelming but I'm going to try.
Old 04-24-10, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Stealing an idea from Chad, I've posted links to each participant's list in the first post of the list thread. I decided to include a short description of your challenge themes along with your names so it'll be easy to see at a glance who's doing what. If you change your Challenge theme (or I've typed the wrong thing), let me know so I can fix it.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-24-10 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm running out of time to pin down a theme. Being conscious of the History/Historical/Things That Happened Before Yesterday Challenge in June, I'm trying to concentrate on things that won't fit the spirit of that challenge. My first instinct is to just use it as a blanket excuse to go through the dreaded Unwatched Pile, but that lacks structure. I'm thinking about a baseball theme, and I'm even considering counting watching baseball games as part of that challenge. I've also been of the mind to explore Sean Connery's filmography, as well as Stanley Kubrick's. (To date, the only Kubrick I've seen is Eyes Wide Shut.) Hell, maybe I'll watch all our adult videos. Some of them claim to have 5 hours of material, and I don't know that I've watched more than 15 minutes of any of them.

The truth is, I'll probably wind up going with the Whatever-My-Wife-Wants-to-Watch Challenge. Maybe I'll try to amalgamate that with the Unwatched Pile Challenge idea, and get my wife to pick things we own and haven't bothered to watch yet. Normally, I'd make a joke about how reluctant my wife can be about making choices, but in a two-paragraph post about how I still don't have a theme, that would be a tad unseemly, wouldn't it? (Besides, I don't want to take the chance of becoming the next guy called out in an online forum by his own wife....you're welcome, Otters.)
Old 04-24-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I can't remember what was decided here... do we pick ONE challenge and stick to it or are we able to have multiple challenges throughout the month?
Old 04-24-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I can't remember what was decided here... do we pick ONE challenge and stick to it or are we able to have multiple challenges throughout the month?
It's up to you. It's the "make your own challenge"

I'm doing a different one every week so I don't get burned out.
Old 04-24-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I need your help for the last 3 days of this challenge. Tomorrow at noon PST, I will post a link to a random list of 500 unwatched movies in my collection. The first 20 movies picked will become my goal for this mini-challenge.

The only rules are:
1. No picking the same title twice, this includes picks from 2 different users. Duplicate titles will be ignored.
2. 2 movie choices per post. You can post multiple times.
Old 04-24-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, multiple challenges are okay. Just please remember to include a title or a description at the start of each of your mini-challenge lists.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-24-10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 11:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Stealing an idea from Chad, I've posted links to each participant's list in the first post of the list thread. I decided to include a short description of your challenge themes along with your names so it'll be easy to see at a glance who's doing what. If you change your Challenge theme (or I've typed the wrong thing), let me know so I can fix it.
Great idea to include the description! Maybe some bolding or coloring to make it more readable?
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Very good idea. I'll do another short one if I finish mine with a week or more to spare, but I'm thinking that I might not even finish.
Old 04-24-10, 11:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Really digging the "LOTR" and "Alien" challenges. I'd love to do that as well sometime. Maybe next "Make your own challenge" or hopefully sooner.
Old 04-24-10, 11:07 AM

MP, fwiw your third week is duplicating the June Historical Challenge.
Old 04-24-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Great idea to include the description! Maybe some bolding or coloring to make it more readable?
Give me an example of what you think will help. I don't want to go overboard with it.

Old 04-24-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still not positive what I'll do, but probably the every ounce of content from all the LOTR releases.

Edit to add: Dimension put it in the 1st post, so I'll lock in to the above. I'll feel good when I finish it, but I'm actually not really looking forward to the chore of watching it all.
Don't blame me. You can still change it if you want to. You have until next Saturday to decide.
Old 04-24-10, 11:25 AM

Give me an example of what you think will help. I don't want to go overboard with it.

I might not be the one to ask, as perhaps I tend to go overboard when I organize things. A table might look nice actually, even if only the two columns (although a third for success/fail could be motivating). But just the bolding is better than nothing, to separate things. Red looks off for some reason....
Don't blame me. You can still change it if you want to. You have until next Saturday to decide.
I need to blame someone! I'll probably end up enjoying most of it, but when I really think about it, I regret the idea. But yeah, I need to do it, to justify all the money I spent on double and triple dips.
Old 04-24-10, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It's up to you. It's the "make your own challenge"

you're telling me, even though I still have alot of films, still my collection, that I could watch for the 'B-Movie/Exploitation' challenge - I'm kind of petering out here. Had to watch a documentary and a 'gay' dramedy last night to break out the mold temporarily.
Old 04-24-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MP, fwiw your third week is duplicating the June Historical Challenge.
Now it's action movies from the 80s.
Old 04-24-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've batted around creative ideas, but every time I stare at my huge unwatched pile I note the large number of tv shows/seasons that haven't yet been watched. So at this point I'm leaning that way. I've thought about making it specific (Drama, Comedy, etc), but I don't think I want to limit myself to one type of show. I think I can rack up a pretty healthy number of episodes watched, though sadly it will only put a small dent in that unwatched stack. It will be a different challenge than any other I've participated in, and for that matter different than any other month I can ever remember--a whole month without watching a single movie.
Old 04-24-10, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I've batted around creative ideas, but every time I stare at my huge unwatched pile I note the large number of tv shows/seasons that haven't yet been watched. So at this point I'm leaning that way. I've thought about making it specific (Drama, Comedy, etc), but I don't think I want to limit myself to one type of show. I think I can rack up a pretty healthy number of episodes watched, though sadly it will only put a small dent in that unwatched stack. It will be a different challenge than any other I've participated in, and for that matter different than any other month I can ever remember--a whole month without watching a single movie.
that'd drive me batty - but oddly with the current challenge, my DVR is backing up of unwatched TV shows that I'll eventually have to watch.... ugh, some many things to watch, so little time.
Old 04-24-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking for some suggestions...

My birthday is May 5th so I might try and do a mini "Birthday" challenge leading up to it.

So, aside from Happy Birthday To Me and Sixteen Candles, what are some birthday themed movies that you all might suggest?
Hello [tap, tap]... is this thing on?

Anyone?
Old 04-24-10, 01:28 PM

a whole month without watching a single movie.
Wow, you may be the winner here! Very challenging indeed!
Hello [tap, tap]... is this thing on?

Anyone?
My co-worker and I are currently racking our brains. After that, google. Stand by. Or sit if you prefer.

Cheating a bit, but Born on the Fourth of July.

Edit to add: The Rugrats Movie!
Old 04-24-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found this through Google: http://www.spout.com/members/0/tags/...rTagFilms.aspx. It's quite extensive, so if you all have any favs, feel free to send them my way.

It will be a different challenge than any other I've participated in, and for that matter different than any other month I can ever remember--a whole month without watching a single movie.
Can't wait to see your list.
Old 04-24-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

It will be a different challenge than any other I've participated in, and for that matter different than any other month I can ever remember--a whole month without watching a single movie.
I hadn't thought about that. Do you have any made-for-TV movies in your unwatched pile?
Old 04-24-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I hadn't thought about that. Do you have any made-for-TV movies in your unwatched pile?
You know, I'm certain that I do. However I think I'm going to avoid those. The more I think about a challenge with TV episodes only (no movies) the more I like it. It will really put the emphasis on being a challenge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.