DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wolfman (2010) ---> 6/1/10

Old 03-30-10, 02:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
The Wolfman (2010) ---> 6/1/10

Awesome Blu-ray specs, DVD, um, no.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...ontentid=72358

Universal Studios Home Entertainment have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Wolfman on 1st June 2010. Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro star in this film inspired by the 1941 classic.

Available on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, both will include the original theatrical cut (103mins) and the unrated director’s cut (119mins). Features are outlined below…
DVD
•Theatrical and Unrated Cuts
•1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
•English, French and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
•English Audio Description
•English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
•Deleted and Extended Scenes

Blu-ray Disc
•Theatrical and Unrated Cuts
•1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
•English 5.1 DTS-HD MA
•French and Spanish 5.1 DTS Surround
•English Audio Description
•English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
•Deleted and Extended Scenes
•Stream the 1941 classic The Wolf Man through BD-Live, pocket BLU app and UniversalHiDef.com
•2 Alternate Endings
•Return of The Wolfman: This featurette will look at how Anthony Hopkins, Benicio Del Toro, Emily Blunt, Joe Johnston and the creative team behind this new retelling have tapped into the tragic roots of legend and cinematic lore to unleash a new terror for today’s audience.
•The Beast Maker: A detailed look at how make-up wizard Rick Baker transformed a classic monster into a modern nightmare!
•Transformation Secrets: Whether transforming werewolves, producing hallucinogenic nightmares or recreating the fog-covered streets of Victorian London, this featurette will look at how the visual effects team has created a haunting world of moonlit monsters and unsettling thrills.
•The Wolfman Unleashed: The team behind the stunt and action units share the physical challenges of bringing the Wolfman to life and creating a series of intense and action-oriented set pieces, climaxing with the dynamic werewolf battle at Talbot Hall.
•pocket BLU app, social BLU & U-Control features
•Werewolf Legacy, Lore and Legend: This feature gives viewers a visual tour through more than seventy years of Universal’s Wolf Man films and thousands of years of werewolf mythology.
•Take Control: Special Makeup Artist Rick Baker , Visual Effects Producer Karen Murphy-Mundell and Director of Photography Shelly Johnson ASC take control of the viewing experience in this unique feature, offering a personal visual commentary by engaging with select scenes of the film to reveal details of the filmmaking process.

For a limited time the Blu-ray will also include a Digital Copy of the film.

Old 03-30-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: The Wolfman (2010) ---> 6/1/10

That streaming idea makes me shake my head in dismay.

I am intrigued at the longer cut though.
Old 03-30-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to see how the directors cut improves the film if at all. It was merely ok in theatrical form,with some good scenes, mixed with disjointed pacing and feeling quite rushed in many scenes. The set design was impressive though, and it certainly looked like a big budget film unlike many other bloated budget films today.

However the trend to give dvd the shaft with either sub par transfers in Warner Bros case, and or the lack of extra features(in many studios cases now unfortunately) is really stupid and unfair.

Those who have blu-ray players and HD tvs and say "tough luck!" should realize not everyone can afford to go out and buy the new sets and players. Sure the prices of the players have gone done quite a bit. But the HD sets are still quite expensive with the puny size(10-15 inches) costing $200-$300+ and the 20-25 inch screens looking much smaller than 4x3 screens of the same size and still costing $300-$500+. So to get the most out of an HD set,it appears at least 30-40+ inches would be the ideal screen size to aim for,and those are extremely expensive still usually near or over $1000, and not to mention the cables needed for maximum video and audio quality. Also if a person doesn't own the proper sound system to decode the new audio formats. Well it adds up extensively and not everyone can afford that so easily.

So with the option of going into credit debt to pay for the tv alone and everything that goes with it for maximum quality,or living with out them is the choice available. I and many others would rather live without it for the time being, and it seems the studios would rather me keep my money, which is fine with me,but bad business on their part.
Old 03-30-10, 06:29 PM

^ i agree Julie. while the new format is, i am sure, glorious, i just don't have the funds now to upgrade everything and if i was to upgrade i wouldn't want to go willy nilly, but be able to get the "full experience".

it does suck that DVD features seem to be getting less and less, but when it comes to the ones i really want and that has been scarce recently i seem to be ok...(Mad Men S3, The Wraith, District 9, the standard SteelBooks™ (both US and foreign), Inglorious Basterds), at least i am content with those packages.

and i am not one to gripe. i think all those threads that bitch about the lack of features for DVD is pointless. my comment "DVD, um, no" is just an alert, and not a gripe. if you are fortunate to have the full upgrade and are rewarded with more features that enhance the experience then that is great and i am really happy for all those. me- i'll just wait til i can and be greatful to still have the medium i can use right now at all.

since i just started Netflix, i will just rent the DC of this and be quite content. in the long run, i am saving a ton of money that i don't even have nowadays with this method and not constantly buying like i used to.
Old 03-30-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh Yeah, Sign me up for this one.
I didn't get a chance to see it in the theaters.
Old 03-30-10, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can purchase a BD player and any software you'd want in that format (rather than DVD) and play them on a SD TV. For the couple weeks I had a player and no HDTV I was content. I still use my 5 yr old A/V receiver and I can hear the audio just fine. It's not lossless, but I press on.

These complaints are similar to those between VHS and DVD when they overlapped in retail. Many new release DVD's were OAR with extras while the VHS had only the film, often in 4x3. It's just the nature of the format. Not only is the tech on BD obviously far superior at quality and compression to DVD, but the discs themselves are proportinately larger in available space, so they can store more data overall. There are single BD's that have everything a maxed out 2 disc DVD has, plus more. So it's twofold: the format has exclusive features to entice purchases of the BD over the DVD (just like DVD -and LD- compared to VHS), and the specs of the format allow for a better presentation (again like DVD -and LD- compared to VHS). That's just the way it is. And in 5-6 yrs, this discussion will come up again for the next new format.

Last edited by i86time; 03-30-10 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
•Stream the 1941 classic The Wolf Man through BD-Live, pocket BLU app and UniversalHiDef.com
Now this annoys me. By the looks of it, Universal couldn't be bothered to do a Blu-Ray release of the original Wolf Man, but instead, I'd have to get this release (and quite frankly, I hated the remake) to see it in high def.

Old 03-31-10, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by i86time
You can purchase a BD player and any software you'd want in that format (rather than DVD) and play them on a SD TV. For the couple weeks I had a player and no HDTV I was content. I still use my 5 yr old A/V receiver and I can hear the audio just fine. It's not lossless, but I press on.
when you hook to Standard tv, is the image at least DVD quality? do all Blu-rays have many audio options if you are not set up for 7.1 or DTS?
Old 03-31-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most people say BDs look better than standard DVDs on an SDTV, but I've never tried. And from what I've heard, I believe all BDs have some sort of audio track built in to them for individuals who can't play the higher quality formats.
Old 03-31-10, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
when you hook to Standard tv, is the image at least DVD quality? do all Blu-rays have many audio options if you are not set up for 7.1 or DTS?
I'm not sure if it depends on which player you purchase (maybe the lowest end ones don't do a good job?), but everything looked fine on my Sony BDP-N460. My old TV only had 1 component / 2 composite, so I had my BD player hooked up via composite, while my Philips 5992 DVD player was using component. The picture from the Sony BD wasn't excellent compared to the Philips, but it was on par with how I recall my older DVD players looked via composite. But I attribute this to the difference in component and composite outs, rather than how the Sony BD output 480i. I didn't do any direct comparison to BD 480i to the same title on DVD, but I can't imagine the BD would look worse than the DVD.

As for the "HD" audio, I think I read somewhere that the newer codecs somehow allow for the legacy lossy codecs to be included in the stream (or the lossless stream to be compressed to the legacy codecs). Either way, it works fine for me - I'm connected via optical S/PDIF and it sounds no worse than DVD audio. My BDP has analog L/R outs for direct hookup to a TV, but I did not use those.
Old 03-31-10, 02:05 PM

thanks guys.
Old 03-31-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Already preordered the Steelbook. Blue rays look and sound great on my SD 5.1 setup.
Old 05-11-10, 07:53 AM

Anyone know what is on the Best Buy 2-disc exclusive dvd? I can't read what the sticker on the cover says. Anyone able to blow it up?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wolfman+...FMAN&lp=3&cp=1