Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weird Science Versions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird Science Versions

I'm wanting to get Weird Science, but see that there are several versions. I heard that most, if not all, versions are missing a line where the guys talk about female stats. Is there a dvd version that has this line ? Also, I'm pretty sure that the High School Reunion collection version has the music from the original soundtrack. What is the best version of the movie ? I would like a version that has the original music.

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 03-16-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weird Science Versions

There have been three basic DVD releases of this I believe, the first one in a snapper case had the replaced home video music.

The second release had the original music. The third had the original music and some additional Extras (The High School reunion collection release). The "missing" line appeared in TV versions of the movie I believe and was not something in the original theatrical release if my memory serves. There are also some additional scenes that appear in the TV version. I don't believe those have been released as extras or on any home video format. The best available version is the High School Reunion Collection version.
Old 03-17-10, 09:25 AM
Cool New Member

As far as I know there are only two release versions of Weird Science on DVD. Granted the second version has been released multiple times - High School Reunion Collection, Flashback Edition Collection and individually with the High School Reunion Collection and Flashback Edition designation.

The first release was the Image Entertainment version which had an alternate music soundtrack. This did have all of the dialogue intact. All versions of the second release by Universal are missing dialogue.

At 7:17 of the movie Gary says:

"Very Nice.

I'm telling you Wyatt, one thing I know is female stats.

Anything more than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue."

This is intact on the Image Entertainment release.

On the Universal release (which has the original music soundtrack restored) the following is missing (however the line appears via closed captioning):

"Very nice.

I'm telling you Wyatt, one thing I know is female stats."

The rest of the dialogue is present.

There are no additional scenes restored to the film in the newer release version.

Hopefully this missing dialogue is restored for the eventual Blu-ray release.
Old 03-17-10, 09:56 AM
Banned

So the High School Reunion version is the one to get ?
Old 03-17-10, 10:58 AM
Cool New Member

The Flashback Edition has more bonus features than the High School Reunion Edition.

Picture quality is better (re-mastered and enhanced for 16x9) and the original music soundtrack. Only issue is the missing line of dialogue.

The Image version can be had used from Amazon ranging from $7-$15 bucks.

I still have my Image version as well as the High School Reunion Edition.

Last edited by PensFan66; 03-17-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have this movie on every home video format I believe (VHS, Beta, LD, and three DVD versions)

I think the line of dialog is "anything bigger than a handful and you're risking a sprained THUMB" not tongue.

The Flashback edition which was released in the metal John Hughes Collection Tin has the most extras I believe.
Old 03-17-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
So the High School Reunion version is the one to get ?
No, the earlier poster is confusing the High School Reunion version with the Flashback Edition versions. You want the Flashback Edition. The High School Reunion version has only the trailer.

The oldest version is by Image, and it comes in a snapper. This is the one that has the alternate music.

Later, Universal released the HSR DVDs. You could buy a standard box set called the Brat Pack Collection, or a special "notebook"-style box set, which came with a soundtrack CD as the main extra.

Finally, Universal put out the Flashback DVDs. The reason it is confusing is because they called the red-locker-tin set "The High School Flashback Collection". This one has a four-part documentary, the trailer, and the pilot for the TV show (which is now available on DVD as well).
Old 03-17-10, 01:02 PM
Banned

The entire series is out on dvd ?
Old 03-17-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The entire series is out on dvd ?
I don't know anything about the series, so this might not be all of it, but Seasons 1 and 2 are definitely available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 03-17-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I think the line of dialog is "anything bigger than a handful and you're risking a sprained THUMB" not tongue.
No, it's "tongue".
Old 03-17-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you sure about that? That wouldn't make any sense. If you were grabbing something that was too big you'd sprain your thumb not tongue. Bigger than a handful = thumb.

I'd put money on it.
Old 03-17-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you sure about that? That wouldn't make any sense. If you were grabbing something that was too big you'd sprain your thumb not tongue. Bigger than a handful = thumb.

I'd put money on it.
Uh, you do more than grab them

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_s...ranscript.html

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Weird_Science_(film))

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 03-17-10 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 04:40 PM
Cool New Member

It's tongue. I watched this scene three times this morning before posting.
Old 03-17-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I have this movie on every home video format I believe (VHS, Beta, LD, and three DVD versions)
It was also released on CED videodisc, during that format's last year.
Old 03-18-10, 01:20 AM
Cool New Member

I'd put money on it.
You know how when you grab a woman's breast... it feels like... a bag of sand.
Old 03-18-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PensFan66
You know how when you grab a woman's breast... it feels like... a bag of sand.
Excellent, Sir.
Old 03-18-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Any one know which version comes in the Brat Pack Collection?

I don't really care one way or the other (as obviously I didn't check BEFORE ordering) but I have it on the way to me and I am semi-interested to know which one I'll get.
Old 03-18-10, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Finally, Universal put out the Flashback DVDs. The reason it is confusing is because they called the red-locker-tin set "The High School Flashback Collection". This one has a four-part documentary, the trailer, and the pilot for the TV show (which is now available on DVD as well).
So is the Flashback Collection version in the tin different than the separate dvd of the Flashback version ?
Old 03-19-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is the Flashback Collection version in the tin different than the separate dvd of the Flashback version ?
no.
Old 03-21-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sprained thumb is the TV version line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6qrj_lIFbQ
Old 04-25-10, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
No, the earlier poster is confusing the High School Reunion version with the Flashback Edition versions. You want the Flashback Edition. The High School Reunion version has only the trailer.

The oldest version is by Image, and it comes in a snapper. This is the one that has the alternate music.

Later, Universal released the HSR DVDs. You could buy a standard box set called the Brat Pack Collection, or a special "notebook"-style box set, which came with a soundtrack CD as the main extra.

Are the Flashback dvds that are available individually the same as the ones that are in the red locker tin ? Also, does the Flashback version of Breakfast Club have the original music like the Reunion Collection version has ?

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 04-25-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-26-10, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I don't think any edition of Breakfast Club had music changes. I have the first releases on laserdisc and CED and they don't have any changes.
Old 04-26-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's right. It was Weird Science and Sixteen Candles that had music changes, not Breakfast Club.

All three movies have an additional scene or line that they air when played on TV, that they didn't put on any of the Universal DVDs (either as a bonus feature, or in the movie itself). As much as an improvement the Flashback Editions were compared to previous releases, that isn't saying much, since they could have easily done more, like putting deleted scenes on there (supposedly, The Breakfast Club's original cut was 2 1/2 hours).
Old 04-26-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be nice to see the "TV Version" scenes on a DVD as an extra feature, and relatively easy since they clearly "exist" in an accesible format. But as far as the 2 1/2 hour version of the Breakfast Club that only ever existed on a VHS dupe of a workprint that John Hughes personally owned, so the likelyhood of ever see that is extremely small.
Old 04-28-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The red locker tins contain the "Flashback" discs. I said it was confusing because the previous (bare bones) releases were the "High School Reunion" Collection, and the new one is the "High School Flashback" Collection, which are pretty similar.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.