Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bad "Alias" disks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad "Alias" disks

Hi, gang. I have the Buena Vista "Alias" S1 and S2 releases from their first issue, back in 2003 and 2004. I decided a month or so ago to revisit these, dropped in Disk 1 from the first season, and the disk refused to load. Tried several times before giving up. I had a friend who had the set, he didn't want it, so he gave me the Disk 1 from his set to replace my bad one.

Didn't think anything more about it.

So last week, I decided to start again. Was cruising along fine, through the first episode of Disk 5 from that set. When I turned on the DVD player to resume a couple of nights ago, Disk 5 wouldn't load. The next day after I did watch the first episode on that disk without issue. I tried several times, cleaning the disk, replacing it into the player, finally it loaded on about the fourth or fifth try. And once it loaded, the thing played fine, no problems.

So now I just dropped the first disk from S2 into the player, and I have the same problem. The disk refuses to load. No matter how many times I try.

It's not my player. I have no problems with any other discs I try. I put the two problem "Alias" disks into a different DVD player, same problem. The disk will not be read by the DVD player.

I've done nothing to these disks except to store them. Like a store hundreds of other disks. I've never had this issue. It's strange that this issue only happens with those three disks from two different "Alias" sets. Possible I would find more "Alias" disks from other seasons that do the same thing, I haven't gone any further to see.

There has to be something weird about the pressing/manufacture/etc. of these disks, that the erode or something. Wouldn't you think? Has anyone else ever seen anything like this, in particular with your "Alias" sets?
Old 02-05-10, 09:49 PM

Re: Bad "Alias" disks

I guess it's just me?
Old 02-05-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished the first two seasons and they were the older style, they worked fine.

I've had similar issues with It's Always Sunny and Scrubs though.
Old 02-07-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... I just bought a couple seasons of Alias off of eBay, when I get them I'll make sure to load them and make sure they work ASAP. The pictures were of the newer sets though.
Old 02-08-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the first issues of these discs as well, and havent had any issue yet. Maybe it was disc rot?
Old 02-09-10, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
I have the first issues of these discs as well, and havent had any issue yet. Maybe it was disc rot?
That's what I'm thinking. It isn't coincidence that the only disks I've ever had with this issue are three (that I know of) from two Alias sets.