DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2 Book of the Dead DVDs - are your cases splitting? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/568858-evil-dead-evil-dead-2-book-dead-dvds-your-cases-splitting.html)

caiman 02-01-10 02:00 AM

Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2 Book of the Dead DVDs - are your cases splitting?

I'm always very careful with the packaging of my DVDs. I always select the absolute best, least damaged ones when I buy them, and I take great care in ensuring they remain undamaged. Imagine my dismay when I took a look at my Book of the Deads (displayed proudly on top of my shelf) and saw many significant cracks along the much of the molding of the rubber covers. Evil Dead has various splits across the top edge exposing the cardboard inside, and along the outside of the eyes, and ED2 has a huge split down the side of the nose exposing the foam underneath.

I know it's cheap rubber that's prone to splitting with age/dryness, but I was still very disappointed to see this. I was wondering if it's happened to anyone else. I know there's really nothing I can do about it, but I was hoping for some consolation in hearing others' similar circumstances.

SterlingBen 02-01-10 02:10 AM

Re: Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2 Book of the Dead DVDs - are your cases splitting?

Nope, mines fine. Do live in a desert area?

caiman 02-01-10 03:17 AM

Nope, Missouri.

I should note that I've had both of these since their respective release dates.

hasslein 02-01-10 03:37 AM

I only have the first one, and it is fine.... Now you have me concerned, I may have to try to treat it..

gonzoisking 02-01-10 04:33 AM

You are not alone Sir! My Evil Dead 1 book is splitting too. I also got it right when it came out. My Evil Dead 2 book is fine so far (except that it no longer screams when you push the eye, I guess the battery is dead) but now you've got me worried about it coming apart. I was thinking about supergluing the Evil Dead 1 book to fix it but I'm still debating.

Geofferson 02-01-10 10:08 AM

Nope -- both of mine are still in great condition.

Darth Maher 02-01-10 10:14 AM

This thread had we a little worried, but both of mine are ok. I've had ED1 since release day.

As a side note, I remember when my wife gave me ED2 as a gift (Christmas, Father's Day, Birthday... I can't recall) she told me that she kept it in the garage until she wrapped it because she couldn't stand the smell. :lol:

slop101 02-01-10 11:18 AM

No, I only have the ED2 one, and it's fine, only it's battery has been dead for years, so it doesn't make the scream when you press the button in the eye.

LosingMyMind 02-01-10 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9975158)
No, I only have the ED2 one, and it's fine, only it's battery has been dead for years, so it doesn't make the scream when you press the button in the eye.

What kind of shitty battery did they use? I pressed it probably around 10 times and my battery is dead too.

tylergfoster 02-01-10 11:32 AM

My EDII book isn't splitting. The sealing glue may have weakened a bit (there was a bulge on the inside front, I poked it and a seam separated a little), but the rubber itself seems fine. My battery is alive, too, and I also got my copy the very first day it was released.

yoshimi 02-01-10 11:35 AM

Mine are both in great shape and the battery in EDII is still alive.

MadCow666 02-01-10 11:35 AM

Damn, I have to check mine now. My EDI is signed by Bruce Campbell and I would hate for it to deteriorate. Anyone know of anything to treat it with for preservation?

Solid Snake 02-01-10 02:36 PM

Somebody warn XAGE!!! He would know the truth!!! (love that guy's collection for the sake of collecting)

DarthVong 02-01-10 02:54 PM

Sumbitch!!! Both of mine are split all over the place!!! WTF! I didn't even notice it until I read this thread and went to look at mine. This sucks!!!!

izatright 02-01-10 03:00 PM

Mine are fine, but my ED2 had the following problem: it would spontaneously scream, over and over again, for three straight weeks. It's longest scream fest was three hours. The shortest was ten minutes. It finally ran out of battery, but I moved it into a storage closet to wait it out.

Also, mine is sealed and still in perfect condition.

story 02-01-10 03:03 PM

Don't worry, guys, yet another version to double-dip on will be out any day now, I'm sure.

Darth Maher 02-01-10 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by izatright (Post 9975537)
Mine are fine, but my ED2 had the following problem: it would spontaneously scream, over and over again, for three straight weeks. It's longest scream fest was three hours. The shortest was ten minutes. It finally ran out of battery, but I moved it into a storage closet to wait it out.

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 9975539)
Don't worry, guys, yet another version to double-dip on will be out any day now, I'm sure.

:lol:

My battery works still too.

Groucho 02-01-10 03:54 PM

Mine are fine, but my ED2 had the following problem: it would spontaneously scream, over and over again, for three straight weeks. It's longest scream fest was three hours. The shortest was ten minutes.

:lol: If this happened in my house my kids would never sleep in their own rooms again.

Darth Maher 02-01-10 04:26 PM

You didn't happen to read any of the book aloud prior to this happening did you?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 02-01-10 05:06 PM

I had a furby that did that. At first I put it in the freezer and then instead of talking and making it's normal sounds, it would just moan all the time so I threw it in the garage. Every once in awhile you'd hear it moan in pain. Eventually it stopped.

Also, mine is sealed and still in perfect condition.
Not getting much enjoyment out of it, are you?

I also have to roll my eyes at yet another Anchor Bay "limited edition" that's still in stock everywhere, by itself or with it's limited edition companion, nearly 4 and a half years later. On the other hand, something like the 3D version of The Final Destination was sold out in some places with the version that had the slipcover, Nightmare On Elm Street preview, and the 3D version, on the week it came out.

mike7162 02-01-10 05:31 PM

Mine are displayed proudly at the top of my dvd shelf - both in good condition and the batteries still work. And they still have that new rotting flesh smell!

SterlingBen 07-13-14 10:22 PM

No more battery :(

whotony 07-15-14 11:21 PM

Do live in desert area?

Mr. Flix 07-19-14 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by yoshimi (Post 9975190)
... and the battery in EDII is still alive.

You mean...undead.

caiman 07-25-14 02:10 AM

Hey look at that, I visit the forum for the first time in like two years, and my thread is on the first page!

Anyway, here's how my cases look now, four years after I first noticed the problem. ED2 is still soft but splitting pretty badly, and ED1 is so dry and cracked that a single touch causes pieces to flake off :(

http://caimanwebdesign.com/evildead.jpg

story 07-25-14 06:28 AM

Welcome back and too bad about the cases. Having never owned either of these cases, which is which? Assuming that's ED1 on the left. Yikes!

caiman 07-25-14 10:37 AM

Yeah, ED1 on the left. It's just crumbling away. I'd rebuy them but they're evidently out of print and going for about $100 on Amazon.

akira_1ca 10-28-15 10:10 PM

Mine isn't screaming. Power goes through the switch but not the rest of the circuit board. I suspect a component is missing from the board. Can someone take a pic of thier board to compare with mine?

SterlingBen 10-28-15 11:23 PM

Bruce was in town for a con and I thought about taking these to have him sign them but didn't have the free time.

xage 10-29-15 11:01 AM

My Book Of The Deads (including the original one) are still in superb condition!

xage 10-29-15 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 9975493)
Somebody warn XAGE!!! He would know the truth!!! (love that guy's collection for the sake of collecting)

Living in California were recently drought is prevalent and heat surrounds mostly the entire 4 seasons.

my advise is:

If the Book Of The Deads were opened, in order to preserve mint condition state it is best advised to be placed near a moisture pack

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps28kabioh.jpg

SterlingBen 06-11-16 05:03 PM

I am thinking about moisturizing my copies, anyone have any experience?

A-aron 06-16-16 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 12824219)
I am thinking about moisturizing my copies, anyone have any experience?

http://assets.rollingstone.com/asset...OF_EC049_H.JPG

milo bloom 06-16-16 04:38 PM

General ED2 question: I have the 25th anniversary Bluray edition and I was wondering if there were any special features that are only on some DVD version I need to find?

SterlingBen 06-16-16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 12828518)
General ED2 question: I have the 25th anniversary Bluray edition and I was wondering if there were any special features that are only on some DVD version I need to find?

I think just the "Evil Dead: Hail To The King" video game preview.

milo bloom 06-16-16 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 12828532)
I think just the "Evil Dead: Hail To The King" video game preview.

Eh, pass.

Thanks.

SterlingBen 01-01-20 12:04 AM

Checkin in here in the 2020's, still holding up.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d3dbc4d9ee.jpg

story 01-01-20 12:32 AM

This was your first action for 2020?! Okay, well happy new year!

Mike86 01-01-20 11:17 PM

I have the version from Evil Dead 2. Just checked mine and it’s still in relatively good shape. The paint on the eye with the sound effect button is a little cracked, but it might have been that way when I bought it. The sound effect doesn’t work anymore.

milo bloom 01-02-20 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13664083)
I have the version from Evil Dead 2. Just checked mine and it’s still in relatively good shape. The paint on the eye with the sound effect button is a little cracked, but it might have been that way when I bought it. The sound effect doesn’t work anymore.

Battery is likely dead, is there anywhere you could swap it out?