Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Unwatched Movie Pile: February 10 - This dynamite is black

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Unwatched Movie Pile: February 10 - This dynamite is black

How about some things that apply to everyone for the checklist, for example watch the unwatched movie or show you've had the longest, or watch the one that has the earliest release date, or the oldest movie...

Watching the "oldest" unwatched was a huge help for me in getting my unwatched down, and everybody has one.
Old 02-04-10, 01:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen
How about some things that apply to everyone for the checklist, for example watch the unwatched movie or show you've had the longest, or watch the one that has the earliest release date, or the oldest movie...

Watching the "oldest" unwatched was a huge help for me in getting my unwatched down, and everybody has one.
Those are very good thoughts. I'm thinking that any checklist for this thread should be geared in a way to make everyone on equal footing. Having specific years/genres/actors will preclude many people. Keeping things generic would be more inclusive. Oldest thing in unwatched pile, newest (both age of film and time on pile), first item alphabetically, one item from each letter alphabetically, etc etc
Old 02-04-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I like it (maybe a bit too long), but since I'm planning on participating in each of the ~12 annual Challenges, I'll probably not be OCD enough to do this checklist too.
It was more of a last minute type deal to get something up for the last minute. Next time I'll probably drop format, language, maybe rating and cut off some early decades.

Main idea was to go with a different genre each month and the actors/actresses and directors were from a list of top people in those groups in the genre of the month.

Then there's the sub-genre section. Not sure how to change it or if I should go with the top half, with the director and actor section being good enough for the genre of the month, or stick with the bottom half and possibly trimming it a bit also.
Old 02-06-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are very good thoughts. I'm thinking that any checklist for this thread should be geared in a way to make everyone on equal footing. Having specific years/genres/actors will preclude many people. Keeping things generic would be more inclusive. Oldest thing in unwatched pile, newest (both age of film and time on pile), first item alphabetically, one item from each letter alphabetically, etc etc
Agreed.
Old 02-06-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ignore everything in my last reply. Didn't notice page 2. I'll try to get a sample list based on suggestions out in the next couple days.
Old 02-06-10, 11:16 AM

my usual dig at people still on newbie page settings

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Ignore everything in my last reply. Didn't notice page 2. I'll try to get a sample list based on suggestions out in the next couple days.
But we're still on page 1.
Old 02-06-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: my usual dig at people still on newbie page settings

But we're still on page 1.
I use the crazy default settings. Cardsfan111 is the first post on page 2 for me.
Old 02-06-10, 07:25 PM

I use the crazy default settings. Cardsfan111 is the first post on page 2 for me.
Yeah, as the post title says, I was just messing with you.

Back on the checklist, I had a few other more generic suggestions in my brain last night, but I can't quite recall them at the moment.

Here are a couple, but I know I had some better ones:

___ title from your favorite genre
___ title from your least favorite genre
___ title with a favorite actor
___ title with a loathed actor
___ extra feature
___ commentary track
___ title from the hardest to reach part of your collection

Again, I think it would work best if every checklist item was somewhat generic and could apply to anyone participating in the thread. Having specific years, genres, actors, etc just seems more limiting in this use of a checklist as opposed to the other places where we use them. Just my opinion of course, your original way would work for many people and has some cool items on it.
Old 02-06-10, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Movies To Watch:
More than 20

Movies Watched: 4
2/1 -2/5: ?
2/6: I Know Who Killed Me/Friday the 13th Pt. 7

New Movies Bought: 2
2/6: Zombieland (Nut Up or Shut Up Edition)/Chuck Season 2

This Month's Net Change: 2

Total Net Change :
?
Old 02-07-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Back on the checklist, I had a few other more generic suggestions in my brain last night, but I can't quite recall them at the moment.
How do you think the alphabet idea should be done? I like the idea but some of the letters but even I don't have many movies for Q and X. An automatic check if you have no unwatched from that letter? What about a generic option for finishing an entire letter?

You are the checklist master, so I had to ask.
Old 02-07-10, 12:21 PM

How do you think the alphabet idea should be done? I like the idea but some of the letters but even I don't have many movies for Q and X. An automatic check if you have no unwatched from that letter? What about a generic option for finishing an entire letter?
Yeah, I'm not sure if it should have every letter or just the ones an individual needs. Also, we could probably design a little HTML table for the checklist, as 26 letters would take up a lot of room if we listed them down 26 lines, but in a table would could put all 26 in a little box with 3 or 4 letters per line.

I'm not volunteering, I stink at tables. I can edit the one I use in my weekly threads to make small changes, but couldn't design one from scratch.

A bonus check for completely finishing one of the letters sounds cool, but it is a very relative accomplishment, as some only have a few in their unwatched 'pile' and some have multiple thousands.
Old 02-16-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm not sure if it should have every letter or just the ones an individual needs. Also, we could probably design a little HTML table for the checklist, as 26 letters would take up a lot of room if we listed them down 26 lines, but in a table would could put all 26 in a little box with 3 or 4 letters per line.

I'm not volunteering, I stink at tables. I can edit the one I use in my weekly threads to make small changes, but couldn't design one from scratch.

A bonus check for completely finishing one of the letters sounds cool, but it is a very relative accomplishment, as some only have a few in their unwatched 'pile' and some have multiple thousands.
Jeez, for some reason I missed this reply and forgot to work on this more. I'm thinking you should get an instant check, or maybe a O instead of an X if you don't have any movies/tv shows that fit for an item on the list.

___ title from your favorite genre(out of what's in your pile)
___ title from your least favorite genre(out of what's in your pile)
___ title with a favorite actor(out of what's in your pile)
___ title with a loathed actor(out of what's in your pile)
___ extra feature
___ commentary track
___ Movie title starting with ABC
___ Movie title starting with EFG
___ Movie title starting with HIJ
___ Movie title starting with KLM
___ Movie title starting with NOP
___ Movie title starting with QRS
___ Movie title starting with TUV
___ Movie title starting with WXYZ
___ First item alphabetically
___ Last item alphabetically
___ Oldest title(as in year made)
___ Oldest title in pile(as in it's been in the unwatched pile the longest as of last month)
___ Newest title(as in year made)
___ Newest title in pile(as in it's been in the unwatched pile the shortest as of last month)
___ Finish a season of a TV series
___ Pick an item at random. Make sure those crappy ones get an equal chance to get picked.
___ Have a friend/spouse/child/dog/fish pick an item for you. No helping.

I can find an item for all of these except for oldest unwatched title. I honestly have no idea what it would be exactly.

So how is everyone doing on their piles? I've been shooting for an average of 2 per day and made it last month and doing it so far for this month. On the other hand, I need to add 64 new titles which means I'm not making much progress.
Old 02-19-10, 05:26 PM

Jeez, for some reason I missed this reply and forgot to work on this more. I'm thinking you should get an instant check, or maybe a O instead of an X if you don't have any movies/tv shows that fit for an item on the list.

___ title from your favorite genre(out of what's in your pile)
___ title from your least favorite genre(out of what's in your pile)
___ title with a favorite actor(out of what's in your pile)
___ title with a loathed actor(out of what's in your pile)
___ extra feature
___ commentary track
___ Movie title starting with ABC
___ Movie title starting with EFG
___ Movie title starting with HIJ
___ Movie title starting with KLM
___ Movie title starting with NOP
___ Movie title starting with QRS
___ Movie title starting with TUV
___ Movie title starting with WXYZ
___ First item alphabetically
___ Last item alphabetically
___ Oldest title(as in year made)
___ Oldest title in pile(as in it's been in the unwatched pile the longest as of last month)
___ Newest title(as in year made)
___ Newest title in pile(as in it's been in the unwatched pile the shortest as of last month)
___ Finish a season of a TV series
___ Pick an item at random. Make sure those crappy ones get an equal chance to get picked.
___ Have a friend/spouse/child/dog/fish pick an item for you. No helping.

I can find an item for all of these except for oldest unwatched title. I honestly have no idea what it would be exactly.

So how is everyone doing on their piles? I've been shooting for an average of 2 per day and made it last month and doing it so far for this month. On the other hand, I need to add 64 new titles which means I'm not making much progress.
List looks good!

Yeah, oldest unwatched will be hard for me too, I'll just guess. Since DVDSpot went under I'm not tracking details on my ever growing collection.

I watch too much TV to average 2/day, but my 1+/day average appears to be making a small dent. I've probably watched 600 in the last 500 days, and only bought 500.
Old 02-23-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

^^ Mister Peepers, just noticed the checklist suggestion you made. Looks good to me.