DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   In need of much needed help in selling my big DVD collection ...... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/568264-need-much-needed-help-selling-my-big-dvd-collection.html)

TylerDurden_73 01-21-10 01:18 PM

Re: In need of much needed help in selling my big DVD collection ......

Originally Posted by orangerunner (Post 9954276)
I agree because for every DVD you sell off for $2, you have to replace it for an average of $10-$12 a piece. That's a lot of $$ for marginally better picture and sound.

And then when 3D Blu-ray hits the market in the next few years we get to do
the whole dance again.

Yeah, "marginally better".
Deals are there to be had. Amazon has great sales on Blu. But it's all where you look. I don't pay more than $15 for new releases on Blu. I have sold off 500 DVD titles sinced I made the switch. All titles that had a blu counterpart were traded in if the blu was a upgrade, or cheap. I still have 800 DVD titles because of various reasons. I have no problem upgrading for picture or audio, or both.

I have sold my DVD's to wherehouse .com. You have to realise that you are never going to get "fair" value. I would also try some of the other suggestions of the forum members.

mlemmond 01-21-10 02:30 PM

In the last few weeks I've traded in about 300 dvds for for maybe 20 used Blu-rays and some cash. Most of this was a much needed thinning of the herd and some discs that were replaced by Blu-rays.

I've come to realize I don't want or need the 1,000 plus titles I have. I'm being much more selective in my buying and I'm only rebuying BD of movies that I think will visually be much more impressive on BD. Trying to replace them all would be beyond stupid.

mdnitoil 01-21-10 03:50 PM

It's threads like this that make me shake my head in wonder at the "the future of Blu is so bright I've just gotta wear shades" folks. Damn near every single person who has responded to this thread has spouted some sort of variation of "no way will I be buying as much Blu as I did SD". If people are truly not going to be buying as much then the future of Blu actually looks pretty bleak. I mean, yeah, we'll always get the latest piece of crap the studios have churned out and the AFI Top 100-type stuff, but after that it's going to get pretty damn thin.

Sorry. Back on topic.

JasonTHX 01-21-10 04:45 PM

Hey, you have a few I wouldn't mind buying. If That's what you're doing. I'd pay for the shipping to, if you'd combine a few titles. Plus You could only send me the actual disc and artwork. I wouldn't need the case. That will save $$$ on shipping. cases only cost 20 cents to buy at any store. I got a Sony Blu-Ray for Xmas and I love how they make DVD's look.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-21-10 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff (Post 9955471)
Yup. Unless you are going front projector/100"+ screen, you won't see a huge difference in upconverted vs. blu-ray on an LCD TV.

I've got to disagree on this. There's more than just a little difference.

I'd put a list up on craigslist and just wait. If something's sells really high, try ebay or amazon. Ebay's a gamble since the person just has to say they never got it, then they get the money back from paypal. The thing to remember is most aren't going to sell for much so sell what you can through places that don't charge fees, like craigslist, and enjoy the stuff until it's sold.

I'd just keep the stuff as part of my collection and get rid of stuff as I replace and upgrade.

The Lizard King 01-21-10 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 9956148)
I've got to disagree on this. There's more than just a little difference.

I'd put a list up on craigslist and just wait. If something's sells really high, try ebay or amazon. Ebay's a gamble since the person just has to say they never got it, then they get the money back from paypal. The thing to remember is most aren't going to sell for much so sell what you can through places that don't charge fees, like craigslist, and enjoy the stuff until it's sold.

I'd just keep the stuff as part of my collection and get rid of stuff as I replace and upgrade.

Two words: Delivery confirmation.

HTH!

TLK :cool:

Cardsfan111 01-21-10 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Lizard King (Post 9956160)
Two words: Delivery confirmation.

:up: Got burned once, have used DC ever since.

orangerunner 01-21-10 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73 (Post 9955642)
Yeah, "marginally better".
Deals are there to be had. Amazon has great sales on Blu. But it's all where you look. I don't pay more than $15 for new releases on Blu. I have sold off 500 DVD titles sinced I made the switch. All titles that had a blu counterpart were traded in if the blu was a upgrade, or cheap. I still have 800 DVD titles because of various reasons. I have no problem upgrading for picture or audio, or both.

I have sold my DVD's to wherehouse .com. You have to realise that you are never going to get "fair" value. I would also try some of the other suggestions of the forum members.

Even if you get every title at a "deal" of say, $10 each. You sell off your 500 DVDs at $2 a pop you get back $1000. You turn around and drop $5000 to replace them with Blu-ray ($5000 is an extremely conservative estimate, at this point)

Then you have to consider the $5000+ you spent your 500 DVDs over the years as well.

The bottom line cost of your new Blu-ray collection is going to be at least $9000+

Is having a couple of years of satisfaction knowing you have the best consumer video format available really worth $9000+?

To each their own, I guess it depends on one's priorities. I'm doubtful replacing every title is going to a trend to sweep the industry.

Gizmo 01-21-10 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 9956173)

eBay almost always sides with the buyer so DC is worthless. They can simply put a "not as described" and boom, you get screwed.

Trevor 01-21-10 06:33 PM

One thing that many people never factor into the cost of selling their discs is their time. Sure, you could use multiple options and sell things individually on ebay and make more than a buck or two per title after fees, but what is your time worth? Any DVD that is going to net me less than $30 is not worth the hassle. I'll just give it away to family or friends.

I think the OPs reasons for selling the collection are wrong, but if I was going to sell a large collection, I'd sell in bulk. Sure he might only make $500, and maybe triple that if he took the time to sell things individually, but the dozens of hours he'd put into the effort to sell them that way have to be factored in.

bsmith 01-21-10 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9956251)
One thing that many people never factor into the cost of selling their discs is their time. Sure, you could use multiple options and sell things individually on ebay and make more than a buck or two per title after fees, but what is your time worth? Any DVD that is going to net me less than $30 is not worth the hassle. I'll just give it away to family or friends.

I definitely agree with this. If I have a few I know aren't going to bring much then I give them away. But if I have put aside enough over a period of time due to just not wanting them anymore or having upgraded then I sell in bulk to Newtownvideo. Usually, I will have some older title that will bring over $2 a piece and if I have something like 16 or more of these I get free shipping and insurance thrown in.

I just don't have the time or energy to want to deal with selling them individually or advertising them in any way.

Artman 01-21-10 07:30 PM

Meta, the hard truth is you've simply waited too long. I came to the same conclusion four yrs ago just as Blu was on the horizon, and over the last four yrs thru various means have unloaded 300 dvds, with about 50 remaining (which have no blu release in sight). I used DVDplanet for the bulk of my trade-ins... that has since dried up. Right now I'd recommend DVDEmpire for online bulk trade-ins. I also sold ones on Amazon that were going for a price that was worth my time (Munich SE, Toy Story box).

However, if I had hundreds of DVDs right now I'd opt for a garage/yard sale. You'll likely get more from people than you will selling on Amazon or doing mass trade-ins, and it'll be easy and fast. The other option is to only get rid of a DVD once you buy the Blu-Ray, that'll ensure you can enjoy the movies you have now.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-21-10 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 9956173)

Problem is that paypal doesn't care about it. They need to be able to see online, that it was delivered to that address. DC only shows something was delivered somewhere. They don't take screenshots either.

jeffredo 01-21-10 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Graftenberg (Post 9953560)
My advice is to not buy dvd's for their monetary value but for their entertainment value. :)

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! -biggrin-

Heat 01-21-10 10:50 PM

Ebay. Be sure to state it's condition, and state so if you combine shipping. Maybe $3.00 for the first DVD and $1.00 for each addiitional DVD.

Cheato 01-22-10 09:49 AM

I fully support every person who wants to sell off their entire DVD collection and switch to Blu-ray.

You are:
1) making used DVDs easier to find and cheaper when they're found,
2) helping to fund the advancement of technology by adopting a new format and spending money to "upgrade," and
3) generally contributing to the economy and helping to keep people in business and employed.

You won't regret it.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-22-10 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cheato (Post 9957096)
You won't regret it.

He'll regret it every time he wants to watch a movie he sold off that's not out on blu-ray or is missing special features he enjoyed on the DVD that didn't transfer over.

Travis McClain 01-22-10 10:55 AM

Several thoughts crossed my mind as I read through this thread...

1) The remark about "no one" paying "top dollar" is simply wrong. "Top dollar," by definition, means there is someone out there willing to pay more than anyone else. What that value might be, of course, is a variable.

2) Those who consider what the OP wants to do as "not worth it" are probably in a better financial situation than he. It's easy to say to someone, "I wouldn't bother selling those to generate revenue for your technological upgrade" if you don't need that boost to make it happen. I've been where the OP is, and it's a bit insulting to hear from other people that your scrape-it-together plan is somehow beneath them.

3) To the OP, I would suggest avoiding eBay simply because of all the hassles that can bite a seller these days. (It's a goldmine for buyers, though.) In addition to the helpful alternative suggestions already submitted, I would add abundatrade.com. It's another site where you enter the ISBN of your product and they give you an immediate price quote. You send your stuff, they make sure it's in good condition and voila. I haven't sold to them yet myself, but I've heard from others who have. You won't get as much from them, but at least you'll know immediately what they'll offer you.

4) I would also caution the OP to try a different tack than selling everything. Start by making a list of which titles are already available on Blu-ray, and sell those first. If it's currently only available on DVD, you might want to hold off on selling your copy until you know you can upgrade it. Of course, it's worth bearing in mind that what isn't already on Blu-ray is likelier to bring you more money than what is, so there's that to consider. What's worth more, though: An extra buck or two now, or not going without the title in your library for an undefined length of time?

Fist of Doom 01-22-10 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 9957222)
2) Those who consider what the OP wants to do as "not worth it" are probably in a better financial situation than he. It's easy to say to someone, "I wouldn't bother selling those to generate revenue for your technological upgrade" if you don't need that boost to make it happen. I've been where the OP is, and it's a bit insulting to hear from other people that your scrape-it-together plan is somehow beneath them.

Frankly, if you have to "scrape-it-together" to buy a new HDTV you've got your priorities wrong.

My advice, such as it is: have a yard sale, and if any DVDs are left over, just trade them in to Wherehouse or SecondSpin.

Cheato 01-22-10 02:43 PM

^ Are you just trying to prove MinLShaw's point?

Don't try to judge other people's priorities when it comes to something like this. I have plenty of money, but I set very specific and tight spending limits for my "hobby" of DVD collecting. It's an attempt at being somewhat responsible, as opposed to being just completely careless. Just because I CAN buy something doesn't mean I should.

However, I do like your idea of the OP selling to SecondSpin. I reiterate my earlier point that he won't regret it. I may wind up buying many of those titles from them after he trades them in, so that will make me happy. Later, when he realizes all the money he wasted by "upgrading," he can take solace in the fact that he brought happiness to others.

Fist of Doom 01-22-10 03:21 PM

^Fair enough. I really wasn't trying to be judgmental, but I've known plenty of people who try to squeeze their budget to buy something they want but really don't need.

Yakuza Bengoshi 01-22-10 04:03 PM

I've done well offloading DVDs I won't watch again on Amazon's Marketplace, but it helps if your collection is composed of something other than major studio blockbusters. In the past thirty days I've sold these through Amazon Marketplace:

A Story from Chikamatsu / The Woman in t... $39.48
Fantômas ( Fantomas Against Fantomas ) (... $33.88
Bellissima - English Subtitles/ Digitall... $34.92
Decasia: The State of Decay - A Film by ... $82.00
The Ship That Died of Shame $21.95
Cinema Paradiso (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition... $48.44
Man On Wire Blu-ray $30.95
La Femme Nikita (Special Edition) $59.70
Bay of Angels $44.95
Alice in Wonderland $39.90
Nights of Cabiria - Criterion Collection $81.29
Chelsea Girls [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg... $52.95
NEON GENESIS-EVANGELION 2 BOX SET (DVD/2... $89.00
Haibane-Renmei: Complete Vols. 1-4 $94.95

Ralph Jenkins 01-23-10 03:56 AM

Wow, Nights of Cabiria went for that much? I picked that up as a blind buy during Barnes & Noble's last 50% off Criterion sale... :o

Travis McClain 01-23-10 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi (Post 9957869)
I've done well offloading DVDs I won't watch again on Amazon's Marketplace, but it helps if your collection is composed of something other than major studio blockbusters.

I knew I had overlooked another obvious piece of good advice...!

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins (Post 9958681)
Wow, Nights of Cabiria went for that much? I picked that up as a blind buy during Barnes & Noble's last 50% off Criterion sale... :o

I've never heard of it until it showed up on a list of spy movies I posted elsewhere. Given how OOP titles stop being available on Netflix, I'm not likely to get to see this one any time soon, am I?

boredsilly 01-25-10 07:21 AM

I would go with Amazon. Just get a shit tone of mailers, and list all your dvds there. The "setup" is much easier than auctions, and the dvds will sit there for a while. Also, Amazon reimburses on shipping, so you don't lose as much money. This is the best option other than using a Secondspin type of option -- which I think will be the easiest. Good luck.