Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have to own every movie in a series?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you have to own every movie in a series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Do you have to own every movie in a series?

Originally Posted by terrible chong
which one is 5? the undiscovered country? That one was pretty good. Christopher Plummer made a good Klingon
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier directed by master director William Shatner... but you'd be forgiven for forgetting it existed.
Old 01-14-10, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah the one with Spock's emotional brother... uggh. Carry on!
Old 01-14-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually I have to own them all but there are some exceptions like DTV sequels (S Darko ) For some reason I do own all of the available Amityville sequels despite the fact they have nothing to do with eachother and are pretty bad. I don't need remakes either like Prom Night or Sorority Row.
Old 01-15-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
My Summer Story is actually a great film. It's another Jean Shepherd story narrated by him as well just like in A Christmas Story. It picks up with the ending "winter wonderland" scene from A Christmas Story and goes from there. I would actually highly recommend it. Big Lots had it right before X-Mas. I ended up getting a few copies for some friends who are movie buffs as well just to prove to them it was a good film. So far the ones who have taken the time to watch it have highly enjoyed it.
Actually, My Summer Story is the 2nd sequel in the series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098023/

It debuted in 1988 on The Disney Channel. Jerry O'Connell played Ralph Parker. I remember watching it all the time as a kid, so I have fond memories of it.

I have been unable to hunt down a copy, but a few clips are on Youtube.
Old 01-15-10, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you guys insist on ruining my childhood memories? Next you're going to tell me they made a sequel to The Neverending Story.
Old 01-15-10, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dino88
Why do you guys insist on ruining my childhood memories? Next you're going to tell me they made a sequel to The Neverending Story.
Noooo... They would never make "A" sequel. Two on the other hand...
Old 01-15-10, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Actually, My Summer Story is the 2nd sequel in the series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098023/

It debuted in 1988 on The Disney Channel. Jerry O'Connell played Ralph Parker. I remember watching it all the time as a kid, so I have fond memories of it.

I have been unable to hunt down a copy, but a few clips are on Youtube.
Any good? And is it narrated by Jean Shepherd?
Old 01-15-10, 09:07 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I usually don't, but I do have a weakness when it comes to horror films. I guess I lower the bar on those, so even if they are really bad, I still tend to enjoy them.
Old 01-15-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I go complete opposite directions on this depending on the sequels/series...

Some series I really like, I'll buy a less-than-favorite sequel to have them all. Indiana Jones for instance...Crystal Skull to me was just OK but I wanted the set.

Some seem somehow incomplete without all of the movies...i own at least three Godzillas I hate but somehow I felt compelled to own them all, and i wouldn't get rid of any of them even now.

Some I buy in a box set and it includes a lesser sequel and I just leave it there. Got the Alien trilogy set at Wal Mart not long ago....I don't like 4 so I didn't miss it, and it came with 3 which I also don't like but hey it's in there and it fills the slipcase up so I'll keep it even though I'll never watch it again.

Then there is the far end of the spectrum where I get a boxed set and I dislike one of the sequels so immensely it gets given away. Godfather 3 got offered to every guest in my house for a while until someone finally took it off my hands. Buh bye!
Old 01-15-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by terrible chong
I only ever get the ones i like. I don't care about having the complete series

For example:
Die Hard 1 & 2
Robocop 1 & 2
Alien & Aliens

All these franchises had sequels that I really hated, so why would I get them?
In the case of the Alien franchise, because the Quadrilogy contains a bonus disc with a documentary not available elsewhere, and the special features for Alien3 explain what went wrong, with several members of the crew virtually apologizing for ruining the series.

Originally Posted by dino88
Considering that the original film only covered the first half of the novel, you betcha. (And if you want to ruin your childhood memories, read the book -- after Bastian saves Fantasia, he becomes a wicked dictator, trying to remake the world to his own whim.)
Old 01-15-10, 11:41 AM

I generally try to. Not going to with National Lampoon's movies, but Saw, Scary Movie, Star Wars, Rambo, Rocky, F & F and such I have all of or will soon.
Old 01-15-10, 12:13 PM

I never feel obliged to buy a movie in a series if I don't like it. Some that I don't own: Indy 2, Spidey 1 & 3, last produced 4 Star Wars movies, last couple of Thin Man movies, Hellboy II, etc.
Old 01-15-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
I never feel obliged to buy a movie in a series if I don't like it...Hellboy II
Hellboy II is 10x better than I. The only reason I own the first one is because of how much I liked the second.
Old 01-15-10, 04:18 PM

I couldn't part with a movie if it was in a box set, the gap would just bug the shit out of me.
I have plenty of movies where I've stopped at a certain point. IE, I would never buy Robocop 3 or the Star Wars prequels. The thing that really bugs me is that I have Mission Impossible parts 1 & 3 but no 2 because I was really dissatisfied when I first saw it. The gap bugs me so much it makes me wanna go back and give it another chance.
Horror movies on the other hand, I am usually a completist. I also love cheesy bad horror movies, though. I haven't finished buying all of the new Friday the 13th editions, but I plan to. Although I don't love all of them, I think all of them have some sort of redeeming value that I like to revisit.
In some cases I end up watching sequels I didn't originally care for after I end up having them in a box (IE: Jurassic Park 3) because once they're there I figure I'll make use of them. Usually I end up warming up to them more.
Old 01-15-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I used to have the completest gene, but thankfully I've exercised those demons. However, box sets are usually excluded because I prefer keeping them intact.

Proud to say the following are missing from the series:

Exorcist II and prequels
Howling II (and 4 - ?)
Spider-man 3
Indy 4
Rob Zombie Halloweens
The Matrix sequels
Old 01-15-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Star Trek 5 isn't the best, but it's far from being the worst. Lets not forget Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Old 01-15-10, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is making me want to watch my copy of Batman And Robin for some reason.
Old 01-15-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer to own every film in a series. I try to own every film in a series. But I don't in many cases. For example, it bugs me that I don't have Speed 2. But it's a crappy film and I'd rather spend my precious budget on a good film instead of a crappy one. It's probably just as well. If I had the cash to fill in every blank spot in my collection, I'd have no time to watch them!

But when there's a boxset available, I'll typically go for it just to have everything. I justify it by reasoning that it's cheaper to get the whole collection than just the few I want.
Old 01-15-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to be a completionist but recently decided that I would only own entire series/collections if I like more than 50% of the series. So I own Die Hard, Godfather, Rocky, Indiana Jones etc because the good outweighed the bad. But still haven't gotten Star Trek besides the reboot, Star Wars (4,5,3 were good while 1,2,6 weren't... I need a tiebreaker here) or most horror series.
Old 01-16-10, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
In the case of the Alien franchise, because the Quadrilogy contains a bonus disc with a documentary not available elsewhere, and the special features for Alien3 explain what went wrong, with several members of the crew virtually apologizing for ruining the series.
No thanks. I like to think of Aliens being the conclusion with Ripley finally finding peace. End of story.

The sequels that followed, all that AVP garbage, i DENY!
Old 01-16-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

It really depends on the series. I tend to lean in that direction but try to avoid it.

It's like Roger Ebert says, "No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough.", so I try to avoid the bad ones. That *typically* includes any/all sequel/prequel films. Of course there are exceptions. Unfortunately I extend that to remakes and reimaginings of certain favorites.

I purchased *all* the versions of "The War of the Worlds". Yes, that includes the ones from Pendragon and Asylum. You should avoid those 2 at all costs! They prove Ebert's quote more than any other film I've ever seen. I actually found the Speilburg version to be not as bad as I expected although it really wasn't that good either. The George Pal version is the only one to own. I should have stopped there...

I also admit to purchasing the Tim Burton "Planet of the Apes". I truly don't know why as I *hated* it when I saw it in the theater. It's not to complete the series as I dislike *any* of the films beyond the original.

Originally Posted by Regulus
I have Alien and Aliens as well as Superman and Superman II but I won't go further on those ones. I own all the Star Trek Movies EXCEPT that POS No. 5!
I have all the Alien films up to "Alien vs. Predator" even though I do not like any of them beyond the original "Alien". When I finally watched "Aliens" again (first time since the original release) I found it better than I'd remembered, but still not very good. Just another "action" film with sci-fi trappings (what most sci-fi films seem to be these days ). But the completist in me forced me to pick them up when I had opportunity to do so for under $3/each. Three years later I still haven't watched "3" or "Resurrection".

I own all of the Superman films... but it's only because I picked up the 4 film box set *really* cheap and got the new one "free". I even purchased "Supergirl" because I had the rest. The only ones I truly like are the original theatrical release of Superman (the extended version is just too much and I hated the ending no matter which cut. The biggest movie ending cop out ever.), Superman II, and the Richard Donner cut of II, which I prefer over the theatrical.

I *do* own ST5, but *NO* ST:TNG films. I actually consider ST5 to be better than any of that tripe!

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Star Trek 5 isn't the best, but it's far from being the worst. Lets not forget Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
I'd have to disagree. ST:TMP is *far* better than ST5. The only reason I own 5 is because I'm a ST:TOS completist. It's hard to own the rest (TV, cartoons, and movies) and not own that one. I drew the line at "Generations" which I consider to be worse than ST5 and more a TNG than TOS film. This is in spite of being bitterly dissapointed when ST:TMP was released. I felt ripped off as it was simple a rehash of 2 series episodes ("The Changeling" and "The Doomsday Machine") with rushed feeling tying threads and a thin back story.

I should have know better, but I purchased all The Matrix sequels. Should have stopped after "The Matrix". I can't get myself to watch "Animatrix" because of the other sequels and the animation style, but I own it anyway...

I tend to be less of a completist with TV shows. I find it fairly easy to stop before/when a show "jumps the shark"... The only 2 TV shows where I own all seasons but would have stopped earlier are "Get Smart" and "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.". I just couldn't wait for the individual seasons to be released and picked up the box sets. Had it not been for that I'd have not purchased S4 or S5 of "Get Smart" and I'd still be waiting for S2 of "UNCLE".

In taking a quick look over my collection it really appears that I'm more of a completist than I'd like to admit. Let's leave it at it's a habit I'm trying to break.
Old 01-16-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. I only need to own them all if its good.
Old 01-16-10, 11:22 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I kinda like Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, I even used to have the figures from it.
Old 01-16-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on my way to owning all the Zatoichi movies (minus 14) until I hit the snag of finding Vol 9 and Vol 11.

It really depends on the series.
Old 01-16-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
I used to have the completest gene, but thankfully I've exercised those demons...
You must have read this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.