Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

A New Way Of Collecting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A New Way Of Collecting...

Another way of collecting I thought of was... If I have seen it, I own it. So just going out and buying up every thing I've seen. Like it or not. It wouldn't cost too much. I'm pretty good with my blind buys. So there are only a dozen or so films I haven't liked/kept I could get them for a few bucks each. Not 100% sure about going this way yet... But I'm am considering it. It would be kinda fun to at some point own every tile I have ever seen. Any thoughts...?
Old 12-28-09, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Another way of collecting I thought of was... If I have seen it, I own it. So just going out and buying up every thing I've seen. Like it or not. It wouldn't cost too much. I'm pretty good with my blind buys. So there are only a dozen or so films I haven't liked/kept I could get them for a few bucks each. Not 100% sure about going this way yet... But I'm am considering it. It would be kinda fun to at some point own every tile I have ever seen. Any thoughts...?
What i do kinda is like "see it so buy it" sort of. I always buy a movie if I saw it in theater. I usually enjoy most movies i see in theater enough that I would buy them so i have been fairly lucky so far...I don't go too often either so its not too pricey of a habit.
Old 12-28-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
I'm tired of this... Should I keep the movie I just bought or trade it in for $1.00 at my local pawn shop? I know what you are thinking... Did you like it? If so keep it. If not get rid of it. Right? Well sometimes it is that easy but other times it's not. Sometimes I buy a movie and think "that movie was pretty bad. But man did it have a lot of cool gore". Or "Boy that stunk. But its the only film by that director I do not own". So here is my new plan. Who cares? If I take the time to purchase a film and its not very good. I'm keeping it. It's not very often that I blind buy a truly awful film so it would only be a here and there case (maybe 2 a year, I think this would have been 3). But this way I can stop thinking about it. And I'm also tired of getting rid of a film only to buy it again a year later because I find it for super cheap and think it might be worth a second go. Sometime that pays off and sometimes not so much. So that's it... I buy... I keep. The only thing I'll be trading in anymore are double dips.
So... Anyone else do anything similar to this? My best fiend collects too and it's his way of collecting as well. Though I think he is just too lazy to take his "unliked pile" to a pawn shop. LOL.

What did he do to you for you to consider him to be so cruel and inhuman?
Old 12-28-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
What did he do to you for you to consider him to be so cruel and inhuman?
He's related to Klaus Kinski?
Old 12-28-09, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
He's related to Klaus Kinski?
Beat me to it.

In regards to the OP, I've slowed down on purchases over the past year or so. Rarely buy things on release day (unless it's something I absolutely loved) and now I just wait for the prices to drop in a couple months after release date. Also, a steady diet of Netflix streaming and renting seems to help curb some of the collecting. There is ALWAYS something to watch on Netflix and the streaming quality is certainly watchable for most things I'm curious to see.

Recently, went Blu and that has sparked the excitement in hunting and buying again, but I think it was said already in this thread, I'm more selective and repurchase titles I love or new releases in the newer format that I don't want to wait for.

I'm planning on thinning out the herd soon, but I generally give the DVDs to family and friends unless I know I have something worth trading in.
Old 12-28-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I buy and keep movies I like to watch repeatedly.

I never buy to complete sets, collect packages, flatter directors or because they were on some fake sale.