Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MGM Starting Archive DVD-R Program?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGM Starting Archive DVD-R Program?

I apologize if this has been covered. I was browsing through dvdaf when I came upon several MGM titles listed as DVD-R:

Between the Lines (DVD-R) (1977)
Dreamchild (DVD-R) (1985)
Far North (DVD-R) (1988)
Fish in the Bathtub, A (DVD-R) (1999)
Group, The (DVD-R) (1966)
Jeremiah - Season 2 (DVD-R) (2003-2004)
Late for Dinner (DVD-R) (1991)
Poltergeist: The Legacy - Season 2 (DVD-R) (1997)
Return to Paradise (DVD-R) (1953)
Rich in Love (DVD-R) (1993)
Trapeze (DVD-R) (1956)
Two for the Seesaw (DVD-R) (1962)
Welcome to Woop Woop (DVD-R) (1997)

Further research did not produce much info, although I see that DVD Savant commented on this last week:

Originally Posted by DVD Savant
MGM appears to be following in Warners' tracks, beginning their own "burn on demand" DVD-R disc series for library product they are unwilling to release on regular DVD. Readers have sent links to titles already listed on Amazon: Trapeze (December 15) and Return to Paradise (December 29). There are about a dozen others also on Amazon now, including The Group, Rich in Love, Dreamchild and Two for the Seesaw. What's going on? I've seen no publicitiy on this whatsoever. How do I review them? The last time I saw the fine Gary Cooper/ James A. Michener film Return to Paradise was on a poor quality VHS tape. A publicity announcement is out about a Warners-MGM video on demand downloading service, but I've yet not seen anything about these DVD-R discs.
I suppose we can expect the other studious to follow suit. Like many, I have mixed feelings about this new trend. The MSRPs on these are ludicrous and the lack of supplements or remastered AV is unfortunate.

I believe all classic films deserve a legitimate dvd release. However, I'd like to see this used for very obscure television shows, made-for-tv movies and old educational programs that have virtually no chance of a legit release. Still, the inclusion of such recent TV shows in this MGM lineup is troubling as earlier seasons were released on pressed discs. While the allure of obscure titles is tempting, I fear this medium will sooner or later be used for all catalog titles.
Old 12-01-09, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MGM Starting Archive DVD-R Program?

Think MGM might sell their DVD-Rs and DVD-R prices? Or at standard DVD prices like everyone else? My guess is standard DVD prices + the S&H it takes to get it to your house. I'm all for these titles finally getting somewhat of a release but not at the price of a standard DVD release.
Old 12-01-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Think MGM might sell their DVD-Rs and DVD-R prices? Or at standard DVD prices like everyone else?
Amazon has them listed at $19.98 each ($35.99 for Jeremiah S.2)
Old 12-01-09, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Amazon has them listed at $19.98 each ($35.99 for Jeremiah S.2)
Guess that answers my question. What a rip!
Old 12-01-09, 11:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

MGM is essentially dead. If this program starts up it may not last long since the studio's catalog is likely to change hands in the next 90 days.
Old 12-01-09, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
MGM is essentially dead. If this program starts up it may not last long since the studio's catalog is likely to change hands in the next 90 days.
ohh yea? whats the deal with that? is there an article? i haven't heard/read anything until just now.
Old 12-01-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm tempted to jump of Jeremiah season 2... been waiting almost 6 years for that puppy...
Old 12-01-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One more nail in the coffin of catalog DVD.
Old 12-01-09, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
ohh yea? whats the deal with that? is there an article? i haven't heard/read anything until just now.
It's common knowledge that MGM is once again bankrupt. There was some talk of a single entity gobbling up MGM outright, but the latest talk is for the company to be busted up into pieces. Film library, production equipment, corporate logo, etc. Plenty of threads on plenty of boards speculating on which major studio will suck up the film library, so the idea of a MOD program being short lived has merit.
Old 12-01-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the latest talk involved Time Warner just buying them outright so they own the entire library and not just pre-86 material.
Old 10-07-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just bought Harry In Your Pocket MGM MOD disc from Amazon and when I popped it in, the movie on the disc was Take A Giant Step (1960).

Anyone else have any problems with these discs from MGM ?
Old 10-07-11, 11:35 PM

Funny thing about Harry In Your Pocket. I ordered Park Row...and when it arrived it had the artwork for Park Row, but when I watched the dvd it was Harry In Your Pocket. Apparently, the initial pressing of Park Row was faulty. They were all HIYP. Amazon was good about replacing it when they received corrected stock.
Old 10-08-11, 04:20 AM

I noticed the price for Jeremiah: Season 2 has gone way up since it was released. The $30 I paid was way more reasonable than the current price of $56.