Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard. - rental exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard. - rental exclusive

I read an article a few weeks ago about how theater owners were mad at Paramount for releasing GI Joe onto DVD and BD in just under three months from the date it hit theaters...in the same article, they mentioned that Paramount was also planning to do the same thing with the Jeremy Piven film "The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard.".....I still have not seen any store (online or B&M) have this for sale yet, however today I went into Blockbuster and there it was, now available beginning today for rental!

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone who wanted to see this movie and was waiting for a DVD release....looks like it is a rental exclusive for the moment...I should add that there is nothing on the case that indicates it is any kind of Blockbuster exclusive (like those Weinstein exclusives used to say), and Netflix does show that they are carrying it as well....

PS: Apparently DVD Empire now has this title listed as coming out for sale on 12/15....
Old 11-17-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard. - rental exclusive

The 3 month window seems typical now a days. Isnt that where most studios make the most money?
Old 11-17-09, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I read an article a few weeks ago about how theater owners were mad at Paramount for releasing GI Joe onto DVD and BD in just under three months from the date it hit theaters...in the same article, they mentioned that Paramount was also planning to do the same thing with the Jeremy Piven film "The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard.".....I still have not seen any store (online or B&M) have this for sale yet, however today I went into Blockbuster and there it was, now available beginning today for rental!

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone who wanted to see this movie and was waiting for a DVD release....looks like it is a rental exclusive for the moment...I should add that there is nothing on the case that indicates it is any kind of Blockbuster exclusive (like those Weinstein exclusives used to say), and Netflix does show that they are carrying it as well....

PS: Apparently DVD Empire now has this title listed as coming out for sale on 12/15....
Originally Posted by Me007gold
The 3 month window seems typical now a days. Isnt that where most studios make the most money?
Paramount has been testing the waters of this with some of their lower-to-mid sized DVD releases. The first one they tested it with was Dance Flick and I believe they also released Imagine That as rental only.

With those though the Blu-Ray was released to buy at the same time as the DVD was released to rent.
Old 11-18-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Yes & no. It seems some films such as GI Joe, the studio just wanted to throw it into theaters with no advanced screenings (a bad sign), dump it on DVD & take the money and run as quickly as possible.

It was a very expensive movie to make and I feel they just wanted to recoup as quickly as possible.

The Hangover was a hit and it's coming out December 15, which is almost exactly six months after the theatrical release.

Back in the VHS days a film like, say, Top Gun came out in theatres in late May of 1986 and showed up on video in mid-March 1987.

It was a different model back then. Theatrical releases were staggered across the world. A movie would open in North America, 3 months later in Europe & Australia, 2 months later in Asia etc.

I recall too, Top Gun was still playing in first-run theatres in January of '87.
A hit movie would only play on five or six screens in a fairly major city and play for much longer periods of time.

It seems now the big hits open up around the world on the same day thus allowing an earlier video release, I suppose.
Old 11-19-09, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I'm surprised there hasn't been more anger about this- at least "Dance Flick" and "Imagine That" were available for sale on Blu-Ray, but this movie and The Marc Pease Experience are only on standard DVD and are 'rental-only'- though I've checked Ebay for those and they can be found there at reasonable prices, and they claim to not be illegal copies.

What are rental outlets paying for these? If it's not in the $100 range like it was with VHS, then what's the point of making these rental exclusives? All it's doing is encouraging people to rent them and do that illegal thing we're not allowed to talk about here with them.
Old 11-20-09, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brothers Bloom is also a rental exclusive right now. I missed it in theaters but really wanted to see it and hadn't heard anything about it. I was on PS3 home and I saw an advertisement for it to rent. I didn't see it on amazon or any sites but was able to add it to my netflix queue.

The marketing strategy seems a little odd in the current era. After having the 3-month window, it seems like a step back to go back to the rental exclusive model.