Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Superman Movies

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superman Movies

A while back I purchased all the Superman movies: Superman: The Movie, Superman II, Superman II: Donner Cut, Superman III, Superman IV and Superman Returns. I was wondering what the "correct" Superman II to watch would be. Since Donner was the original director, and his version was supposed to be the one released, should I watch it in lieu of Superman II? Or should I watch Superman II that was released? I don't really want to watch both as they're pretty much the same movie.
Old 11-15-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Superman Movies

Originally Posted by Hendersonfan
A while back I purchased all the Superman movies: Superman: The Movie, Superman II, Superman II: Donner Cut, Superman III, Superman IV and Superman Returns. I was wondering what the "correct" Superman II to watch would be. Since Donner was the original director, and his version was supposed to be the one released, should I watch it in lieu of Superman II? Or should I watch Superman II that was released? I don't really want to watch both as they're pretty much the same movie.
I say watch both, get the 2 different perspectives. I enjoyed Donner's cut over the original one.
Old 11-15-09, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I say watch both, get the 2 different perspectives. I enjoyed Donner's cut over the original one.

OK, If I watch both, which Superman II should I watch first? Superman II then Superman II Donner Cut?
Old 11-15-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would watch 2 first then Donner Cut, if only to see where they diverge radically.
Old 11-15-09, 02:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

returns,3,donner cut,superman x-mas special,2,1,4
Old 11-15-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
returns,3,donner cut,superman x-mas special,2,1,4

Old 11-15-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seriously though, I would watch The Donner Cut afterward because it isn't really a complete recreation of Donner's vision. They did the best they could with what limited resources were available and it's what I consider an extremely great "supplement" to the series. If Donner had been able to complete his vision back in the day, it would definitely be the superior version... Well... it would have been the only version, but you know what I mean. But the way things turned out, we have to consider the theatrical version as canon.
Old 11-15-09, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Seriously though, I would watch The Donner Cut afterward because it isn't really a complete recreation of Donner's vision. They did the best they could with what limited resources were available and it's what I consider an extremely great "supplement" to the series. If Donner had been able to complete his vision back in the day, it would definitely be the superior version... Well... it would have been the only version, but you know what I mean. But the way things turned out, we have to consider the theatrical version as canon.
Which isn't that bad but some of those sequences are too cheesed up for me honestly. More cheese than what Donner may have stayed or put with.
Old 11-15-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ I agree. Growing up, I didn't notice the cheese so much. But watching it as an adult, I gringe during some of the scenes, especially during the battle in Metropolis. Who knows, Superman III might have been a much better movie too if Lester wasn't allowed to add so much slapstick to Superman II.
Old 11-15-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Donner Cut is interesting... and I'm glad they released it. But it's ultimately incomplete. The ending (while unavoidable) doesn't work in context of the series in as-is condition.

If you're watching these as some sort of actual story experience, watch the theatrical version of 2. Watch the Donner Cut later as a supplement.
Old 11-15-09, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the input guys
Old 11-16-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some good FanEdits that have tried to take the best of both versions to make a complete movie, minus the cheese. Most of them favor Donner's edit when possible, and use Lester's scenes to fill in the missing pieces. There are some very good moments in Lester's cut that people just don't seem to want to appreciate, due to the backstory of what happened during production.
fanedit.org has more info on them.

But, back to the OP's OQ: 1, 2 (theatrical), Returns. Watch 3 and 4 later as separate stand-alone cheesy comic book movies featuring Superman. And watch Supergirl, too, if you like, to get more of the same.
Old 11-16-09, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
There are some good FanEdits that have tried to take the best of both versions to make a complete movie, minus the cheese. Most of them favor Donner's edit when possible, and use Lester's scenes to fill in the missing pieces. There are some very good moments in Lester's cut that people just don't seem to want to appreciate, due to the backstory of what happened during production.
fanedit.org has more info on them.

But, back to the OP's OQ: 1, 2 (theatrical), Returns. Watch 3 and 4 later as separate stand-alone cheesy comic book movies featuring Superman. And watch Supergirl, too, if you like, to get more of the same.
God...I remember seeing Supergirl on UPS thinking..oooh..never heard of this film (I was a kid around 10 I think, mid 90s). I've never been so confused as to what the hell I was looking at.

The Donner Cut is my preferred viewing of II, IMO. It just feels better. It's all good till the repeated ending though. What was Donner's intended ending for II before he got booted?. I know that II's ending was given to I, right?
Old 11-16-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The I ending was originally supposed to be for II. But when they ran out of time/money and had to finish I, they used the
Spoiler:
"turn back time"
ending and figured they come up with something different when finishing II. I think I was supposed to be a cliffhanger ending. Which leads me to wonder...
Spoiler:
how were they planning to handle Lois dying in the earthquake in the original script?
Old 11-16-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Have to admit I was pretty much in the dark on this whole thing, since I hadn't seen these movies in years. Had to go look it the story after buying the Superman Collection--I haven't seen the Donner Cut but it sure sounds like if you want the intended product, that's the one to see.

It's the one I have to go find now. LOL.
Old 11-16-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
God...I remember seeing Supergirl on UPS thinking..oooh..never heard of this film (I was a kid around 10 I think, mid 90s). I've never been so confused as to what the hell I was looking at.

The Donner Cut is my preferred viewing of II, IMO. It just feels better. It's all good till the repeated ending though. What was Donner's intended ending for II before he got booted?. I know that II's ending was given to I, right?
Yes, Donner intended for I to end with Zod's crew getting freed (as seen in the opening of Superman II). The saving Lois ending was more studio meddling as they didn't necessarily want a sequel set up. Superman turning back time in II was to be a display of his ultimate power.
Old 11-16-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yes, Donner intended for I to end with Zod's crew getting freed (as seen in the opening of Superman II).
That would have been a pretty powerful ending.

Just when you think Supes had saved the day... "Freeeee"
Old 11-16-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's another order:

Max Fleisher Supermans, Ruby Spears Superman, Superman the Animated Show, Superman 1, Superman 2 Theatrical Cut or Donner Cut, Superman 3, Superman 4, Superman Returns, Superman Animated, Justice League Animated
Old 11-16-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ No Super Friends?