Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Click Here to Join the "Horror Film Club"!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Click Here to Join the "Horror Film Club"!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Click Here to Join the "Horror Film Club"!

#51.....
Old 11-18-09, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-18-09, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-30-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 822 Likes on 323 Posts

^BuMp^

Be on the lookout for the main thread this week.
Old 11-30-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
^BuMp^

Be on the lookout for the main thread this week.
was hoping i didn't miss the start of the main thread, glad i didn't.

come on people, join up!
Old 12-01-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 12-01-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say-OW!

Old 12-01-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Um... did anybody notice that we have no #46?
Old 12-01-09, 09:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
just kidding, I don't think the numbers really matter

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Dibs! Sweet, two choices!
Old 12-05-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Nothing has been up yet right? Just want to make sure I am not missing it or something
Old 12-05-09, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Nothing has been up yet right? Just want to make sure I am not missing it or something
I don't think so, I've been checking daily. I'm so pumped for this.
Old 12-08-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod

For those wondering, the main thread is up.
Old 12-09-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Don't forget about me!!!!! Does this make me 55 or 56???
Old 12-29-09, 07:59 PM

Sign me up. I'm always looking for an excuse to watch a horror film.
Old 12-29-09, 10:03 PM

sounds like I'm #57... I think.
Old 01-24-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

#58! Better late than never.
Old 01-27-10, 05:59 PM

58 people in, and yet only eleven have commented on the first selection, and only six on the second selection.

Come on people, when you join you are asking 57 other people to buy/rent your choice, return the favor please.
Old 01-27-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
58 people in, and yet only eleven have commented on the first selection, and only six on the second selection.

Come on people, when you join you are asking 57 other people to buy/rent your choice, return the favor please.
I think a lot of folks have lost interest. It somehow started with people taking numbers thinking they'd be picking in that order and has somehow degenerated into random people making random choices. Now, movies are being shifted around to accommodate challenges.

In my opinion, the proper way to have done this is people pick in the order they've joined. Post a pick in your initial post and you're good to go. Work through the lists. If people don't make a pick, they get skipped. As was mentioned earlier, having two separate threads kind of lead to the whole thing becoming a giant mess.
Old 01-28-10, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I think a lot of folks have lost interest. It somehow started with people taking numbers thinking they'd be picking in that order and has somehow degenerated into random people making random choices. Now, movies are being shifted around to accommodate challenges.

In my opinion, the proper way to have done this is people pick in the order they've joined. Post a pick in your initial post and you're good to go. Work through the lists. If people don't make a pick, they get skipped. As was mentioned earlier, having two separate threads kind of lead to the whole thing becoming a giant mess.
If people care about their movie being picked and when, they shouldn't even be here imo. Who cares when or if your movie is picked? Everyone's pick will be gotten to eventually, why would anyone care if it was week one or week three hunded and one? The only point is group discussion. I only picked because of the challenge thing. I'd be here enjoying everyone else's picks even if my picks were never scheduled.

As far as accomodating the challenges, how is that a problem? This whole thing came about because of the challenges. What's possibly wrong with slight juggling to better facilitate with them?

You're probably right on the two threads being not the optimum way to get things moving though. But as long as both threads are bumped to keep people updated with the schedule, it shouldn't be too confusing to keep people out of the loop. But yes, one thread would probably be best.
Old 01-28-10, 08:26 AM

I'm with Ed up there. I thought this sounded like a great idea and then suddenly we were picking numbers, so I figured the numbers we picked would actually, you know, MEAN SOMETHING. Then suddenly people were randomly throwing out titles in the other thread and I didn't know what was going on (starting from the point where Trevor said he had two choices since he claimed two numbers in this thread) and things got more confusing from there. I was afraid to ask what was going on because I didn't want to rick getting a snide, condescending response, so I figured the people who were naming movies must have been first on the list and things would just even out and I'd wait to list my movie (I didn't want to throw a choice out there and have people tell me I was stupid again or "not following the rules" somehow).

Then people really WERE just throwing out random choices, and then things got shifted around so that we could fill in the maximum number of challenges at once and I feel like that's the rationale for picking a movie like "Silence of the Lambs," because I honestly detest it and think it's so horrible that I can't possibly see why anyone would pick it except to tie in with another challenge. OK, fine, I'm wrong and everyone loves it (obviously) but that doesn't mean I have to like it, especially when it's only on this list to fill in someone's choice for another challenge in which I'm not participating, and while I don't mind picking up someone else's choice and giving it a watch even if I may not like it, I'm not going to post in a discussion thread for that movie and state my honest opinion of it and get slammed for not agreeing with the masses when the only reason the movie was picked in the first place was that those who were participating in the Academy Awards challenge would be able to check off another box. After seeing the direction in which things were headed, I stayed away from the club altogether, deciding to lurk and only post a challenge if things seemed to be evening out and making more sense. but now if someone is going to chastise me like a little kid for not randomly throwing a movie title out there when this whole idea has degenerated into a confusing mess, I'm going to chime in and mention why I've refrained from posting a movie choice. I love horror movies. I don't like the direction this "club" is taking.
Old 01-28-10, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I'm with Ed up there. I thought this sounded like a great idea and then suddenly we were picking numbers, so I figured the numbers we picked would actually, you know, MEAN SOMETHING. Then suddenly people were randomly throwing out titles in the other thread and I didn't know what was going on (starting from the point where Trevor said he had two choices since he claimed two numbers in this thread) and things got more confusing from there. I was afraid to ask what was going on because I didn't want to rick getting a snide, condescending response, so I figured the people who were naming movies must have been first on the list and things would just even out and I'd wait to list my movie (I didn't want to throw a choice out there and have people tell me I was stupid again or "not following the rules" somehow).
First off, I didn't think there was any way that anyone could have taken my claiming two numbers as anything other than a joke. Really? How could you not see that I kidding? I even say in that post that I am kidding.

Also, obviously I'm in the minority so far (2 to 1), but people really care about when they are picked? Hmmm, never would have guessed that would matter to anyone.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Then people really WERE just throwing out random choices, and then things got shifted around so that we could fill in the maximum number of challenges at once and I feel like that's the rationale for picking a movie like "Silence of the Lambs," because I honestly detest it and think it's so horrible that I can't possibly see why anyone would pick it except to tie in with another challenge. OK, fine, I'm wrong and everyone loves it (obviously) but that doesn't mean I have to like it, especially when it's only on this list to fill in someone's choice for another challenge in which I'm not participating, and while I don't mind picking up someone else's choice and giving it a watch even if I may not like it, I'm not going to post in a discussion thread for that movie and state my honest opinion of it and get slammed for not agreeing with the masses when the only reason the movie was picked in the first place was that those who were participating in the Academy Awards challenge would be able to check off another box. After seeing the direction in which things were headed, I stayed away from the club altogether, deciding to lurk and only post a challenge if things seemed to be evening out and making more sense. but now if someone is going to chastise me like a little kid for not randomly throwing a movie title out there when this whole idea has degenerated into a confusing mess, I'm going to chime in and mention why I've refrained from posting a movie choice. I love horror movies. I don't like the direction this "club" is taking.
If you don't like the direction, give your opinion, like you just did, which is great. Chad is doing this as a volunteer, and has received little or no direction from any of us. How can we complain about how things are going if we don't speak up? Obviously, no one is ever going to have everything go exactly their way. And no one is going to like all of the choices, as you admit. He's making this up as he goes along, and how can you be upset with his choices if you don't voice your concerns? He does most things in his Challenge opposite of what I prefer, but I know that I'll win some and I'll lose some, and love him for the effort he makes. Feedback feedback feedback, but ultimately, the one doing the work makes most of the rules and you either choose to compromise and have fun with it, or you let it fester and make you angry. Let it out. Nothing it set in stone, anything could change. Or any of us could start our own club.

Personally, I choose SotL mainly for the AA Challenge, but I happen to think that it is one of the greatest films ever made of any genre, and you honestly can't begrudge anyone for picking it. Sure some people hate every film, but SotL gets more love than most.

And you shouldn't have any hesitance at all to stay out of threads just because your opinion is in the minority. I thought Avatar was the worst film of the year and have no problems slamming it every chance I get. It's getting near universal love from both the mainstream public and critics, but that won't stop me.

For me, the only way forums like this really work is if everyone speaks their mind, respects other's opinions, and doesn't take offense at perceived attacks. The nature of this form of communication, being faceless and all, is that people tend to be more aggressive and say things they wouldn't say in person. As long as it isn't too extreme, personal, or vulgar, I love getting attacked here. Debate is good for the soul, and brings about positive change. One can't have a thin skin online.

All the above was not directed at any individual btw, just getting my thoughts out on the matter. I'm quoting you for convenience.
Old 01-28-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

If people care about their movie being picked and when, they shouldn't even be here imo. Who cares when or if your movie is picked? Everyone's pick will be gotten to eventually, why would anyone care if it was week one or week three hunded and one? The only point is group discussion. I only picked because of the challenge thing. I'd be here enjoying everyone else's picks even if my picks were never scheduled.

As far as accomodating the challenges, how is that a problem? This whole thing came about because of the challenges. What's possibly wrong with slight juggling to better facilitate with them?

You're probably right on the two threads being not the optimum way to get things moving though. But as long as both threads are bumped to keep people updated with the schedule, it shouldn't be too confusing to keep people out of the loop. But yes, one thread would probably be best.
I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that anyone cares about when or if their movies are being picked. All I'm suggesting is that the disorganization probably hurt things. People were signing up and taking numbers probably figuring that they'd be picking in that order. When they see random picks coming out of left field, they probably figure they're being glossed over so they stop participating.

The slight juggling to accommodate the challenges only becomes an issue when a movie has already been chosen and is then bumped back. Had I gone out of the way to purchase The Legend of Hell House or Don't Look Now expecting to be watching them in a few weeks only to find that they'd been bumped back, I'd probably be pretty irked.
Old 01-28-10, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that anyone cares about when or if their movies are being picked. All I'm suggesting is that the disorganization probably hurt things. People were signing up and taking numbers probably figuring that they'd be picking in that order. When they see random picks coming out of left field, they probably figure they're being glossed over so they stop participating.

The slight juggling to accommodate the challenges only becomes an issue when a movie has already been chosen and is then bumped back. Had I gone out of the way to purchase The Legend of Hell House or Don't Look Now expecting to be watching them in a few weeks only to find that they'd been bumped back, I'd probably be pretty irked.
Ok, I understand, and agree that we could have been more verbose in explaining how things work. But again, that's our own fault by not being more verbose and helpful to Chad during the process.

And Chad clearly explains in post #1 on the main thread that the slots are chosen randomly. I agree with you that first in first out would have been fine.

And the moved titles were moved within a week or two or being sloted, I doubt anyone is that bothered by the slight bump. They are still on the schedule, so why would anyone purchasing them 'too early' be bothered?
Old 01-28-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the reason I haven't participated yet is because I don't own the two movies that have been selected to this point. The Silent Scream is $19.99 on Amazon and Shuttle is $25.49. I don't pay that for Blu-rays much less standard DVD's. I'm not interested in renting. I have far too many unwatched DVD's to justify a Netflix subscription and another monthly expense. I will participate when movies are selected that I own or can obtain cheaply. What can I say, I guess I'm just a cheap bastard.
Old 01-28-10, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jmsmath
I know the reason I haven't participated yet is because I don't own the two movies that have been selected to this point. The Silent Scream is $19.99 on Amazon and Shuttle is $25.49. I don't pay that for Blu-rays much less standard DVD's. I'm not interested in renting. I have far too many unwatched DVD's to justify a Netflix subscription and another monthly expense. I will participate when movies are selected that I own or can obtain cheaply. What can I say, I guess I'm just a cheap bastard.
That's fair. I'm not attacking anyone here, just trying to light a fire.

Obviously, all 58+ of us are never going to buy each and every title selected, but I think there is a small amount of responsibility inherent in this process. I picked a film and am therefore asking 57 of you to view it with me, requiring a rental/purchase and time commitment. I feel a responsibility to one, add to the discussion on my title specifically, and two, to make an effort to view your selected titles. I'm not attacking the people who plan to only comment on the titles they own, just giving my individual opinion.

Have you tried your local libraries?

Shuttle is under $9 shipped used fwiw, and probably used for less in stores. And of course everything is ~$5 at CH.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.