DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Universal Cult Horror Collection/TCM Exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal Cult Horror Collection/TCM Exclusive

Originally Posted by mike7162
You nailed it, man* - this is nothing more than an opportunity to squeeze maximum dollars out of a customer base that is small, but a lock to buy this product. Universal knows that someone like me would have paid $50 (or more) for this set anyway, and if they can produce it on the cheap, it's a win-win. I'm happy, nay, ecstatic to be able to buy this, but not for something slightly better than what I could record off cable.
But what is wrong with this? Pretty much everything ever produced could be sold for a cheaper price. The people over at TCM crunched the numbers and decided it was in their best interest to charge the price they've chosen. As a consumer you have every right not to purchase it, but I don't see what's wrong about maximizing your profit.
Old 11-11-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop
But what is wrong with this? Pretty much everything ever produced could be sold for a cheaper price. The people over at TCM crunched the numbers and decided it was in their best interest to charge the price they've chosen. As a consumer you have every right not to purchase it, but I don't see what's wrong about maximizing your profit.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it; from their perspective it's good business. But what's wrong with taking into consideration the fan base that faithfully buys this stuff - they risk turning off loyal customers that desire a quality product.
Old 11-29-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
I have heard that these are real dvds and I have heard that they look like pressed dvds but are really dvd-rs. Does anyone know 100% one way or the other? Is there any way to know for sure? I would pick this up if it was on real pressed dvds.
Barrie Maxwell's review at digital bits states these are pressed. He says TCM's site states most of the releases in this Universal/TCM deal will be MOD DVD-Rs, but these are pressed.
Old 11-30-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Barrie Maxwell's review at digital bits states these are pressed. He says TCM's site states most of the releases in this Universal/TCM deal will be MOD DVD-Rs, but these are pressed.
Well, that's great news, and thanks for passing it on. Universal just picked up another customer for this release, and I suspect many more people will be on board once that fact is widely known. I only wish Warner Archives were pressing their releases. I expect there would be a lot less hesitancy about spending $20 a pop for the WA if they were real DVD's.
Old 12-04-09, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
From the TCM site:
The transfers in the TCM Vault Collection's Universal Cult Horror Collection are uniformly excellent, even the older Paramount Picture. The crystal clear audio highlights music cues frequently recycled from other Universal films. An extras menu for each title lists galleries of stills, ad artwork and lobby cards, along with production notes and trivia. Although marketed as "made on demand" releases, the discs appear indistinguishable from normal DVDs. The overall quality, extras and packaging better the standards set by most studio library titles these days. Also available as separate purchases, these Cult Horrors are exactly as advertised, unusual rarities from the Universal vault.
That sound like they are in between DVD-R and DVD to me.
Old 12-04-09, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky
That sound like they are in between DVD-R and DVD to me.
Yeah, a lot of folks have been saying that, primarily because they like to give themselves wiggle room. The bottom line here is that there hasn't been some new-fangled disc technology invented recently and secretly used by Universal. There is no such thing as "between DVD-R and DVD." They are regular old pressed DVDs. Any disc utility that you can run will identify them as such. Of course, doubters are more than welcome to wait until Universal releases something that actually has been burnt so they'll be able to tell the difference.
Old 12-04-09, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Yeah, a lot of folks have been saying that, primarily because they like to give themselves wiggle room. The bottom line here is that there hasn't been some new-fangled disc technology invented recently and secretly used by Universal. There is no such thing as "between DVD-R and DVD." They are regular old pressed DVDs. Any disc utility that you can run will identify them as such. Of course, doubters are more than welcome to wait until Universal releases something that actually has been burnt so they'll be able to tell the difference.
I don't know why they would set themselves up like that for scrutiny when there's no need. I just received the Preston Sturges-penned Remember The Night from them and it's also a pressed disc. Checked it in DVD Decrypter and it says DVD-Rom for Book Type even though it happens to be 4.35 GB. It's only 94 min. This has been their top pre-order for a while now. I'm curious what the actual sales numbers are.
Old 12-04-09, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cracksky
I don't know why they would set themselves up like that for scrutiny when there's no need. I just received the Preston Sturges-penned Remember The Night from them and it's also a pressed disc. Checked it in DVD Decrypter and it says DVD-Rom for Book Type even though it happens to be 4.35 GB. It's only 94 min. This has been their top pre-order for a while now. I'm curious what the actual sales numbers are.
Great to know. I've been waiting to hear word on whether this one was pressed or not before I ordered. Looks like it's safe to go ahead.