Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by scott1598
& the movie?
The Veil.

100. The Veil - Still working on my Pendulum box set. When I first started watching it, I did a scan of the movies to find out which ones were super long because of a shitty director that doesn't think anything needs to be cut. This is the first one, coming in at over 2 and a half hours.

In addition to being way too long, the main stars, if you can call them that, all wear camo and gas masks for pretty much the entire film, making it impossible to tell who's who. It's a black and white, Night of the Living Dead type movie where some biological stuff spreads and turns people into zombies.

Most of the movie takes place in a house where zombies bust in at random times, over and over, and are shot. Nothing ever really happens other than that until the very end where the last two survivors fight and when one is killed, the movie turns to color.

The survivor goes to a field where a helicopter approaches, I wait for him to get shot, he does, then the government bombs the city exactly like Return of the Living Dead. The special effects at this point consist of models of jets and the city, and the explosion looks to be a penlight of sorts shining through a piece of paper and then they adjust the light so that it opens up more instead of being focused in a tiny point. That's the explosion.

And this is my 100th title. What a way to go
Old 10-25-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I let my 12 yr-old watch the AMC sanitized broadcast of Return of the Living Dead with me. Something wonderful happened: He was laughing his butt off. And not because I was laughing (I actually wasn't laughing until he started), but because he genuinely enjoyed the fun of the movie. I'm not a huge ROTLD fan myself, but after he spent all Saturday quoting lines from the film, I kind of am now.

He taught me something I've been forgetting lately with watching horror movies: Enjoy yourself
"You think this is a costume? Its a way of life!"- Suicide

best line in film history
Old 10-25-09, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let my 12 yr-old watch the AMC sanitized broadcast of Return of the Living Dead with me. Something wonderful happened: He was laughing his butt off. And not because I was laughing (I actually wasn't laughing until he started), but because he genuinely enjoyed the fun of the movie. I'm not a huge ROTLD fan myself, but after he spent all Saturday quoting lines from the film, I kind of am now.

He taught me something I've been forgetting lately with watching horror movies: Enjoy yourself
I watched this on AMC, good special effects, scary '80s fashion sense, and plenty of zombies. I hadn't watched a movie on AMC in years(recently started dishnetwork service) and was shocked at how intrusive their advertising had become.

Gave Poltergeist another shot after a twenty plus year hiatus. I still don't like this movie. The performances are fine so it must be the script and story that I dislike. I guess it feels like Disneyfied horror. Am I alone in my dislike for this movie?
Old 10-25-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I let my 12 yr-old watch the AMC sanitized broadcast of Return of the Living Dead with me. Something wonderful happened: He was laughing his butt off. And not because I was laughing (I actually wasn't laughing until he started), but because he genuinely enjoyed the fun of the movie.
Question: Were 80% of Linnea Quigley's scenes deleted on this showing?
Old 10-25-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Question: Were 80% of Linnea Quigley's scenes deleted on this showing?
Yes - I really didn't notice the scenes being gone (story wise). And AMC went a little over-board with the censoring. They even blurred out the bare breasts of the zombie torso that was tied down to the table. It was a puppet/torso! I actually kind of preferred the film w/out all the "adult" stuff. Made it sharper and to the point, and really highlighted the funny.
Old 10-25-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeez, I haven't watched ANYTHING in the past 4 days. I just haven't felt like watching horror. I'm back now, watching The Last House on the Left (2009) as I type this. Hopefully I'll continue to watch for the rest of the week. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure that day Friday and Saturday I'll be doing nothing but watching movies. I'm planning to watch both the Dentist movies that day or Friday.
Old 10-25-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Jeez, I haven't watched ANYTHING in the past 4 days. I just haven't felt like watching horror. I'm back now, watching The Last House on the Left (2009) as I type this. Hopefully I'll continue to watch for the rest of the week. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure that day Friday and Saturday I'll be doing nothing but watching movies. I'm planning to watch both the Dentist movies that day or Friday.
I dare ya to watch them before Thursday.
Old 10-25-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved
I watched this on AMC, good special effects, scary '80s fashion sense, and plenty of zombies. I hadn't watched a movie on AMC in years(recently started dishnetwork service) and was shocked at how intrusive their advertising had become.

Gave Poltergeist another shot after a twenty plus year hiatus. I still don't like this movie. The performances are fine so it must be the script and story that I dislike. I guess it feels like Disneyfied horror. Am I alone in my dislike for this movie?
Way back before DVD and before Turner Classics was offered in my area, AMC was my source for older movies, and it was great. This was also before DVRs and on-screen guides and such. So I remember keeping my eye out for the monthly cable guide magazine. I would go through it to highlight all the films I wanted to set my VCR to record. I still have tons of tapes with recordings I made back then. They would even sometimes show movies letterboxed in the evenings. Of course, this was when American Movie Classics actually showed, you know, classics! And it was also before AMC started airing commercials. I'm happy AMC has started having success with its original programming, but I miss the days when it was a legitimate competitor with TCM because AMC used to air some really good movies.
Old 10-25-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Jeez, I haven't watched ANYTHING in the past 4 days.
I feel ya. I haven't watched any films for the Challenge in 5 days.

Had a really great pace going the first week of the Challenge, then work and life got in the way and I've only watched around 15 films since the first week.

Now my goal is just to get to 40+ before Halloween gets here.
Old 10-25-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally saw Halloween VI last night, not too terrible.
Old 10-25-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Now my goal is just to get to 40+ before Halloween gets here.
Even with a full set of wildcards, that'll be a tough job. At least for me.

I'm watching a fun little movie called Las Vegas Blood Bath. Some guy carries around the severed head of a girl that he talks to constantly.

At one point, a hooker gets into his car and they drive to an alley where he gets her to lie down and ties her wrists to some pipes. He puts the severed head next to her head, promising that if she gives him head, he'll give her some. He pulls out a knife and torments her a little bit before shoving it through up through the bottom of her head and out her mouth. Then he ties a rope to her ankle and the other end to his car and drives off, ripping off her leg.

After a tiring day of that, he drives to a bar, tells the bartender to get him and the girl(severed head he keeps) a drink and then immediately shoots him before the bartender can say anything.

Finally, a movie with some action going on in it instead of standing around and talking, like I've been watching.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-25-09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-25-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ I love that movie.
Old 10-25-09, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Way back before DVD and before Turner Classics was offered in my area, AMC was my source for older movies, and it was great. This was also before DVRs and on-screen guides and such. So I remember keeping my eye out for the monthly cable guide magazine. I would go through it to highlight all the films I wanted to set my VCR to record. I still have tons of tapes with recordings I made back then. They would even sometimes show movies letterboxed in the evenings. Of course, this was when American Movie Classics actually showed, you know, classics! And it was also before AMC started airing commercials. I'm happy AMC has started having success with its original programming, but I miss the days when it was a legitimate competitor with TCM because AMC used to air some really good movies.
I fully agree and sadly AMC isn't the only channel that has wildly deviated from their initial programming. Having survived on OTA tv for a number of years a return to pay tv has been a mixed bag. Dish's dvr is great and has been a big help during this challenge not only with time shifting but with first time viewings. But some channels have deviated in content so much that I barely recognize them.
Old 10-25-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
^ I love that movie.
If it weren't for a couple things, like watching the girls play cards for 5 minutes, it would've been close to perfect for what it was.
Old 10-25-09, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If it weren't for a couple things, like watching the girls play cards for 5 minutes, it would've been close to perfect for what it was.
I got the 6-disc "Serial Psychos" set with that on it. That and "Hip Hop Locos" make just a hilarious double-feature.
Old 10-25-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The Veil.

100. The Veil - Still working on my Pendulum box set. When I first started watching it, I did a scan of the movies to find out which ones were super long because of a shitty director that doesn't think anything needs to be cut. This is the first one, coming in at over 2 and a half hours.
I have a 2 disc set of 6 Pendulum movies. I've watched 3 of them: Deadly Memories, The Innocent, and Siege of Evil. I still have yet to watch Invitation, Blood Rites, and Death From Beyond.
Old 10-25-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I got the 6-disc "Serial Psychos" set with that on it. That and "Hip Hop Locos" make just a hilarious double-feature.
I'll admit that Hip Hop Locos is good in the right setting. I watched it by myself this morning and really wasn't in the mood for it. I got those 2 in the 12-disc "Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares".

Probably won't buy another of the Pendulum sets but one is enough. Halfway through disc 5 right now.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have a 2 disc set of 6 Pendulum movies. I've watched 3 of them: Deadly Memories, The Innocent, and Siege of Evil. I still have yet to watch Invitation, Blood Rites, and Death From Beyond.
Invitation wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. It just starts out really slow. It's similar to Sisters of Death, if you've seen that.

Can't comment on any of the others.
Old 10-25-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I dare ya to watch them before Thursday.
I've seen them before, 2 of my favs, and I'm incredibly nervous about getting them out since I've never had surgery, let alone oral surgery. So I'll probably be thinking about those movies the whole time!
Old 10-25-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

watching Sometimes They Come Back... Again on SyFy. I've never seen it and probably wouldn't watch it if it weren't on tv and I wasn't really bored.
Old 10-26-09, 12:56 AM

I finally updated my list with the titles at least, I don't have time for the write ups now. I'm thinking I might not make it. I'm at 81 with a few days left to go. I'm going to be watching as much as possible the next few days, the last thing I want is to only be a few titles away from making my goal of 100.
Old 10-26-09, 01:00 AM

After watching Teenage Hooker Became Killing Machine in Daehakroh, I've decided to stop watching movies because I think the title is cool.

or at least until I find one just as interesting..
Old 10-26-09, 07:32 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, College has kicked in a bit as I will be studying for a Wednesday test. This will cut into my movie watching harshly in the next few days until Wednesday night. I'll try and get in as much as I can but the next few days doesn't look promising to add a lot to my list total.
Old 10-26-09, 08:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Yes.
That's jumping back in with both feet! To go from nothing for 4 days to an extreme title like that. I'm a wimp and would have eased my way back in with a Disney horror or Poltergeist.
Old 10-26-09, 09:55 AM

Nope. I loved it when I was a kid, thought it was great and terrifying, but I watched it awhile ago, and it's totally lost its appeal for me. I agree with you, it seems very Disneyified now. I was disappointed, because I really wanted to love it now as much as I always had. I don't think there's any one movie that all horror fans agree is great. Everyone has different tastes.
Old 10-26-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I was looking like I'd be able to crack 100 for most of the month but the last few days haven't been up to par, so it will be close if I really go at it. Either way I destroyed my goal of 31

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.