Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 01:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Numes
This is a good point, Trevor. With a thread like this, the turnover is pretty fast and furious that posts get buried at times. I posted a pretty long post right at the end of the 2nd thread and about 1 minute later that thread got closed for the 3rd thread. I doubt many people saw it, but it happens. If I had a nickel for how many of 545 subscribed thread's last post was "Numes" I would have a lot of nickels.
I once pulled up a list of all of my subscribed threads, and most of them had "Trevor" as the last poster.
Old 10-30-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I'm sorry all I got was, fuck it, winning, someone else winning, someone else won, waste of time, fuck it, win, winning, fuck it. winning, fuck it.

is not a contest. there are no winners or as that Seinfeld episode, "You're all winners". I got 30+ in and I'm as much as winner as some with with 5, 200, or 1000. is not a waste if you enjoyed yourself watching some horrors movies. maybe it was a waste since doing 1 would have made anyone as much of a winner as someone with 100000000000. since is not a contest.
Old 10-30-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyway, I wanted to comment on Inside. I thought it was pretty good but was anyone else dissapointed with the last 15 minutes or so? seems like its a theme.
Old 10-30-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

This is a good point, Trevor. With a thread like this, the turnover is pretty fast and furious that posts get buried at times. I posted a pretty long post right at the end of the 2nd thread and about 1 minute later that thread got closed for the 3rd thread. I doubt many people saw it, but it happens. If I had a nickel for how many of 545 subscribed thread's last post was "Numes" I would have a lot of nickels.
Yeah, I asked a question about the different cuts of Black Sabbath and the present DVD releases but didn't get a response. And now that I think about it, I'm pretty mad about it!

OK, so I'm not really mad. It happens. But I figure I'll ask one more time about Black Sabbath. So the current DVD releases only have the Italian version, which means that you don't actually get Karloff's real voice during his story? I've heard that the American version of The Drop of Water is better, too. Any opinions? I'm trying to decide whether I should keep my recording from MGM-HD. It would be nice to get a Blu-ray with both versions.
Old 10-30-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
anyway, I wanted to comment on Inside. I thought it was pretty good but was anyone else dissapointed with the last 15 minutes or so? seems like its a theme.
I hate that entire movie lol
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
And Numes, commentaries do count. You just can't watch the same movie twice, meaning I can't watch The Thing then watch it with commentary and count them as two. Or is that what the disagreement is about?
Yeah, I know, but how many of the 15+ commentaries that I have listened to were to movies I didn't already watch during the challenge? 0. I like to listen to the commentary within a reasonable amount of time after I watch a film, so that rule basically doesn't apply to the way I view movies and listen to commentaries. The only way it would really work is if I watched a whole bunch of horror movies in September and then listened to the commentaries in October, which would kind of defeat the purpose of the October Horror Movie Challenge (not to mention the wonderful Criterion Challenge now in September )
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

is there a cut-off for:

1) when lists need to be updated (like if i don't update 'til Sunday night or something)?

2) is the last minute to watch anything 11:59pm on Saturday night (meaning anything into Sunday, even with 1 hour back doesn't count)?

i tell ya', if the Yankees weren't in the playoffs this year i would have soared over 40, at least, i think. but, i think just over 30 isn't so bad either.
Old 10-30-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

Yeah, I know, but how many of the 15+ commentaries that I have listened to were to movies I didn't already watch during the challenge? 0. I like to listen to the commentary within a reasonable amount of time after I watch a film, so that rule basically doesn't apply to the way I view movies and listen to commentaries. The only way it would really work is if I watched a whole bunch of horror movies in September and then listened to the commentaries in October, which would kind of defeat the purpose of the October Horror Movie Challenge (not to mention the wonderful Criterion Challenge now in September )
I see what you're saying. I understand both sides of the argument. There were certainly times during the challenge that I wished I could go back and listen to the commentary.

Originally Posted by scott1598
is there a cut-off for:

1) when lists need to be updated (like if i don't update 'til Sunday night or something)?

2) is the last minute to watch anything 11:59pm on Saturday night (meaning anything into Sunday, even with 1 hour back doesn't count)?

i tell ya', if the Yankees weren't in the playoffs this year i would have soared over 40, at least, i think. but, i think just over 30 isn't so bad either.
As I said earlier, we had a few days after the challenge last year to get our lists together. I'm sure we'll get an announcement about the exact day the lists need to be complete soon.

As for the final cutoff time, we kept it open until dawn last year. I'm assuming the same will apply this year.
Old 10-30-09, 01:36 PM

I don't think I'm really a jumper, I'll have to monitor that with the rest of the movies I watch. I do know, if I've already seen a movie before, it would be very difficult to scare me or make me jump. This is even the case for sequels. For example, Halloween had me completely on the edge of my seat the whole movie and I could hardly stand the tension. However, for the sequels, since I kind of knew the storyline and the flow of the movies, it wasn't quite as tense.

I think the biggest jump for me so far this year was from Hellraiser
Spoiler:
when the Jesus statue falls out of the closet and Kirsty catches it. Sometimes those non-scary moments are the times that catch me off guard the most.

I do love the tension in horror movies, but I'm not sure I would say I like being scared. I also am probably a lot more mainstream than a lot of other people participating, so it will be unlikely that I will delve into some of the "B-type" movies that are out there. That's not to say they aren't entertaining, but I just don't see myself going there for now.

I will say that anything horror that has to do with dentistry or teeth or drilling into peoples mouths really bothers me and I don't think I could bring myself to watch a movie for which that was the main plot. There was one of the Hellraisers (I think) that had a scene like that and it was tough to watch.

As a final thought, it is very rare for any movie to freak me out for any length of time more than the duration of the movie. I'm not sure I could handle that if I went to bed worried that someone was going to get me. The only two exceptions have been the first time I saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was a kid and, more recently, when I saw American Psycho. Fortunately, those only stuck with me for one night and then I was fine.

For American Psycho, the thing that freaked me out the most was
Spoiler:
the fact that I thought for sure that it was all in his mind, then in the middle of the night my brain told me that all that actually happened, and it really really bothered me. I haven't seen the movie for a while, so I have forgotten most of the details of the movie, but that's what I remember freaked me out so much.
Very interesting that you say,
I do love the tension in horror movies, but I'm not sure I would say I like being scared.
I always assumed that being scared was the end-all for everyone watching these type of films.

Your comments about twice being scared enough to think that someone was going to get you remind me of a point I almost brought up the other day, but decided it was too embarassing.
Old 10-30-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

You know the thing about scary movies to me is that they really don't scare me. On the radio the other day they did the call in with what you think the sacriest movie. Of course you get your exorcists etc etc.... but when I thought about it, I couldn't think of one.
Old 10-30-09, 01:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
As I said earlier, we had a few days after the challenge last year to get our lists together. I'm sure we'll get an announcement about the exact day the lists need to be complete soon.

As for the final cutoff time, we kept it open until dawn last year. I'm assuming the same will apply this year.
k. thanks. hope to get one or maybe two in after the game, early Sunday.
Old 10-30-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its funny. my brother sent me an email telling me he got me a horror movie set or something and that he didn't understand how I watch this stuff since it gives him nightmares and I laughed because I never get nightmares but my palms get sweaty a bit from the tension. like Numes was saying. Numes, if you ever deal with your "fear" of dentistry, try giving Denti a shot. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221115/
Old 10-30-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I hate that entire movie lol
Dang, I loved it

What didn't you like about it?
Old 10-30-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Dang, I loved it

What didn't you like about it?
bad cgi, dumb cgi baby shots, absolutely retarded characters (who the hell lays down in their bed when there is a psycho prowling around inside), stupid story, so on... I honestly can't find much positive to say about the movie. I saw it the week it was released on dvd (yes, i saw it unrated) and i just didn't get any of the hype. Sure it has loads of gore (even though some of it doesn't look good) but thats about all it has.
Old 10-30-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bad cgi, dumb cgi baby shots, absolutely retarded characters (who the hell lays down in their bed when there is a psycho prowling around inside), stupid story, so on... I honestly can't find much positive to say about the movie. I saw it the week it was released on dvd (yes, i saw it unrated) and i just didn't get any of the hype. Sure it has loads of gore (even though some of it doesn't look good) but thats about all it has.
well, she is pregnant on top of traumatized. but I agreed with you. at least keep the gun in your hand and not next to you.
Old 10-30-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, she is pregnant on top of traumatized. but I agreed with you. at least keep the gun in your hand and not next to you.
I'm sorry but if she's pregnant she'd have he motherly instinct to get the hell out and protect her baby.

I've had this conversation many times on other boards and I usually just get pissed off over it, so allow me to bow out gracefully from the rest of the convo.
Old 10-30-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry but if she's pregnant she'd have he motherly instinct to get the hell out and protect her baby.

I've had this conversation many times on other boards and I usually just get pissed off over it, so allow me to bow out gracefully from the rest of the convo.
is all good. Like I said, I agree with you on this. Is not that serious, is only a movie. what else bothered you? the last 15 minutes for me.
Old 10-30-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is all good. Like I said, I agree with you on this. Is not that serious, is only a movie. what else bothered you? the last 15 minutes for me.
The last 15 minutes just gave me a headache with nonsense, the cop (i think he was a cop) that
Spoiler:
gets blasted with a shotgun but is still running around blinded
, the dumb cgi shots of the baby, bad cgi in general, just about everything haha
Old 10-30-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The last 15 minutes just gave me a headache with nonsense, the cop (i think he was a cop) that
Spoiler:
gets blasted with a shotgun but is still running around blinded
, the dumb cgi shots of the baby, bad cgi in general, just about everything haha
yeah. the cop with the blast to the head/eyes. that was stupid and pretty much from that moment on it sucked for me. up to that point I was ok good with it, minus the going to sleep in the bed that you mentioned. also, why bring the punk criminal with you. really.
Old 10-30-09, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE

I've just wasted 30 days of my life.

Even you said people don't believe people watch 8 hours a day.
Never heard of that.
I wish you would have let me know early on so i wouldn't have wasted so much time here.

And for the record I watched everyone of those 304 movies.I even put comments after. Did Edtheripper? No. Not even a checklist that I had just completed. What a waste of my time and effort.

This has ended up one of the worst experiances of my life. And the thing is I can't get that 30 days back.
You are taking this entirely to serious, I love dvdtalk but do you not realize what this is? It's a message board, with people you don't know. Don't act as if you're life is ruined, I pray to god you have a real life outside of this place.

Your post only further illustrates what I was talking about. You keep saying that you don't care about winning but look at all those quotes of you saying what a waste it's been, how you ruined 30 days of your life. If you honestly didn't care about winning then why would it even matter? What's the big deal? I mean hell you had fun right? Well....I guess not since you're entire month of October has been ruined just because people don't believe your list. My criticism from the start has been less about whether your list is fake or not and more about what your reasons to be in this are.
Old 10-30-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cysiam
After 3 tries I finally finished the checklist. See you in hell checklist!

(delayed reaction)

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I just got "Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte" in the mail. It's even better than I remember. I'm one happy movie viewer right now.
I'm bit upset because I got this from my library, but had to return it before I could watch it. Hope to check it out after Nov 1st.
Old 10-30-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Can someone tell me about this "Horror Club" or whatever it's called? Like, how does it work? Does somebody suggest a movie and we all watch it, then discuss it? How long do we usually have to watch the movie(s)?

October has totally sucked for me... everybody in my family has been sick on and off, I've done a few side jobs which turned into really long days, unemployment check issues, etc... so I've watched stuff on and off... nowhere near my personal goal though. But I'm really interested in watching a lot of the stuff I planned to watch, but couldn't fit in.
Old 10-30-09, 04:55 PM

joke

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Can someone tell me about this "Horror Club" or whatever it's called? Like, how does it work? Does somebody suggest a movie and we all watch it, then discuss it? How long do we usually have to watch the movie(s)?
It had a limited membership, and is already closed.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-30-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher

October has totally sucked for me... everybody in my family has been sick on and off, I've done a few side jobs which turned into really long days, unemployment check issues, etc... so I've watched stuff on and off... nowhere near my personal goal though. But I'm really interested in watching a lot of the stuff I planned to watch, but couldn't fit in.
I would love to hear more also. As I stated I would be more than happy to help out in any way and contribute as much as possible. My fiance has said she would even create a dvdtalk account just to join in on the discussion too.

I don't know much about the criterion club but I think a horror club would fair a little better. Criterions are expensive and I'm sure thats why a lot of people maybe got deterred after awhile.
Old 10-30-09, 05:05 PM

Just kidding, it's not set up yet. Chad will be running it starting later this year.

If it's similar to the Criterion Club it will be roughly like this:
  • Dozens or hundreds of us 'sign up' to be included.
  • Each of us pick one film which we want to discuss with the group.
  • A schedule will be made with one film per week.
  • We'll have a month or five's notice on the schedule to plan our renting/purchasing.
  • Threads will be opened each week, similar to the current 31 day subset threads.
  • DVDEmpire will sponsor the Club, giving members a 40% discount on the selected titles.

All just my guesses/suggestions, I'll have just as much say as any of you on how it goes.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-30-09 at 05:08 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.