Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Yogi's First Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yogi's First Christmas

BOOOOOO! Yogi's First Christmas. A special I've owned on VHS for some time now because of it not yet being released on DVD is getting released through the Warner Brothers Archives Collection. Why not a standard release? I hate these B.S. DVD-R releases. If I wanted a DVD-R I would download the torrent and burn it myself. These titles are WAAAAAY over priced for the product you are getting. Ughh! I'm bumbed! I've been waiting for this one for a long time. First Angus... Now this... Just another reason to continue my hatred towards the WB.

Here is the news:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Yog...hristmas/12845

Last edited by dkedvd; 10-22-09 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Yogi's First Christmas

The marketing team at WB should be terminated. If they can't market Yogi's First Christmas during the holiday season and make enough money off of it to warrant an official DVD release, they should not have their jobs.

And what I hate most about the covers is the thumbnail cover art in the middle of that blue and black background. Absolutely unappealing. They can't make the cover art full size?

Last edited by calhoun07; 10-22-09 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I missed the ANGUS news. Seems most things released through this new Warner Archive is not ringing much waves here. I understand why though. I would have thought Angus and Yogi bear would have gotten much better releases than this.
Old 10-22-09, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

That cover picture is from a different Christmas special. Image released this on laserdisc but it's from a 16mm print- I've seen clips recorded from the original TV airings and the source used there was much higher quality.

Warner sucks for putting all their catalog stuff on DVD-Rs now. I won't pay 20 bucks for a burned disc, I've heard they're even too lazy to chapter them!
Old 10-22-09, 07:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

It's on TV every Christmas season.

Warner's program is a joke if you have cable and a $99 DVD recorder.
Old 10-22-09, 08:00 AM
Banned

Its just truly sad when I rather own my VHS copy then Warner's "DVD" release. Why not price these at $5.00? Even with $5.00 S&H it would sill be a "reasonable" price. But $20.00 for a DVD-R + shipping? NEVER! Its bullshit like this that leads to piracy. This DVD-R crap has got to stop. First it was Paramount with there licensing to Amazon allowing them to do their DVD-R "burn on demand" of great Nick Toons, and now the WB releasing great classic movies/special on DVD-R. What studio is next? Sad... Truly sad...

Last edited by dkedvd; 10-22-09 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 11:33 AM

3-5 year lifespan of the DVDr is my main complaint, and of course the $20 price tag. I guess watch them, and sell em fast, pretty good markups on Amazon.
Old 10-22-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
3-5 year lifespan of the DVDr is my main complaint, and of course the $20 price tag. I guess watch them, and sell em fast, pretty good markups on Amazon.
how can this be true? I have dvdrs that are older than that that are fine. I don't why there's these ridiculously short estimates out there.
Old 10-22-09, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I did some searching on that issue before posting, ultimately I referred to a statement by DVDTalk's DVDSavant.

FWIW, here is a cut and paste from the WB Archive FAQ on this issue. Notice they go out of their way to avoid giving a specific number of years on lifespan, kind of roundaboutly comparing them to CDr's!

---

Q: What is the durability of a DVD-R vs. a stamped or replicated DVD? I’ve heard that recordable DVDs are less durable than stamped DVDs. Is that true?

A: Recorded DVD-Rs and stamped (or replicated) DVDs are actually very similar. The difference is really just how the data is recorded on the media. DVD-Rs burn data patterns on an ink layer of the DVD. With stamped DVDs data patterns are molded within a texture layer of the DVD. While DVDs have only been prevalent for the past 10-12 years, independent laboratories have used stress testing to evaluate both types for playability over time, resistance to effects of aging, etc. These test show that DVD-Rs can be expected to last many years, just as stamped DVDs.

As a “real-world” testament to this – consider the CD-R. These have been in wide spread use for 15-20 years with no evidence of any systemic deterioration over that time. DVD-Rs use similar ink pattern technology to CD-R.

Note, though, as with any product, the key to longevity is proper care and maintenance. The surface of the DVD should be protected from scratches, finger prints, high heat sources and direct sunlight as noted earlier. The ink layer of a DVD-R is more sensitive to prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, so no leaving the DVD upside down on the dash board of your car.
Old 10-22-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All I want is Yogi's Great Escape
Old 10-22-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat
how can this be true? I have dvdrs that are older than that that are fine. I don't why there's these ridiculously short estimates out there.
I've had some poor quality DVD-Rs give out on me for seemingly no reason. Then again, they were cheap bootlegs I purchased at a Comic Con before I knew better. I would suspect that Warner is at least using a higher quality disc for their on demand titles.
Old 10-23-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

NOOO!!

I got excited when I read the thread title. I have been waiting for this on DVD for a while. I currently have a dvd i burned myself from a taping when it was on TNT back in the day. I must admit that its fun to watch toy commercials from 1990 though

I didn't know what this Warner Archives thing was before but now that I have seen it, I don't like it one bit. They really care too since they used the wrong picture. The girl in the picture isn't even in this movie!! Will they use the Yogi's First Chirstmas cover when they release the All Star Comedy Caper?
Old 10-23-09, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Will they use the Yogi's First Chirstmas cover when they release the All Star Comedy Caper?
Hahaha! I know! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the artwork for "Yogi Bear's All-Star Comedy Christmas Caper (1982)" being used for "Yogi's First Christmas (1980)". Warner Brothers could care less about the fans of their films. Its a same...
Old 10-23-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe both specials will be on the disc?
Old 10-23-09, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Maybe both specials will be on the disc?
doubt that.
Old 10-25-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part of me really wants to see the Warner Brothers Archives Collection project fail epically bad but I somehow doubt that the suits at WB would look at its failure in the light that they were putting out an inferior product at a jacked up price as to the reason why and just blame lack of interest in the movies themselves and pat themselves on the back for saving lots of money by not putting them on DVD.
Old 10-27-09, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

There was another laserdisc with All-Star Comedy Caper and 3 other specials on it- don't have that one, but do have a tape of its original airing with most commercials left in.

Warner Archives should hire me to make their DVDs- I'll at least make an effort to chapter them correctly.