Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Studio-Centered Classics Series?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studio-Centered Classics Series?

Hey,
Random question. Are there any other studio-centered series of quintessential classics than Universal's Legacy and Paramount's Centennial Collection?

I know Fox had a series a few years back but it was more like modern classics (fight club, independence day, cast away, the thing, etc)

I'm thinking of things that are numbered (a la Paramount's) or obviously-grouped (a la Universal's).

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-09, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Studio-Centered Classics Series?

Actually, Fox also had the Studio Classics line as well as Fox Noir Collection and the Cinema Classics Collection.
Old 10-20-09, 10:43 PM
Banned

Warner has the 2-disc SE Collection and New Line used to have the Platinum Series collection.
Old 10-20-09, 10:50 PM

ahhh, huge oversight on the fox studio classics.

thanks much

not sure if the Warner collection applies if only because it's not titled... but I can see where you're coming from.

it seems this can serve as a reasonably effective list of those: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/MWLLU1RFFH75
Old 10-21-09, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Warner and New Line never had a Classics Collection. New Line's Platinum Series is just there version of Special Edition dvds, mostly all from the last 15 years. Warner only has box sets of classics, never numbered. Example, Gangsters Collection 1, 2 and 3, and The Signature Series. They have a few other box sets, but nothing numbered like Fox Studio Classics or Paramount's Centennial Collection.
Old 10-21-09, 07:52 AM

Fox Collector's Editions DVDs (cardboard digipaks) have spine numbers and the films are from multiple decades. The 1968 Planet of the Apes, the 4 Alien films, Fight Club, Predator, The Abyss, The Fly, The Sound of Music etc.

Not sure if this is the series mentioned in the OP because Fox also had the 5 Star Collection. There is a Fox War Classics line as well.
Old 10-21-09, 09:04 AM

darkhawk - he suggested those two series because I included the Universal Legacy series, which also wasn't numbered, but rather clearly a part of one group. I do agree with you, though, about the New Line Platinum series...

BillWatkins - yes, those are the fox films I was referring to in the original post.

I guess the motivation behind the original inquiry is that I'd like to find collections of films that, based on the quality of the other films, I would blind buy or rent all additional releases due to a clear standard of quality. New Line and Fox Collector's Edition do not fit this bill. Criterion is the ultimate example, but clearly not one studio. Kino... the same.

Warner is intriguing. If you subtract all of their 2-Disc Special Editions with original theatrical releases later than, say, Shawshank (or Wyatt Earp if you're talking about consistent packaging), then it fits perfectly.
Old 10-21-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rehmus
darkhawk - he suggested those two series because I included the Universal Legacy series, which also wasn't numbered, but rather clearly a part of one group. I do agree with you, though, about the New Line Platinum series...
Universal Legacy Series is a mixed batch. Some of them are classics like Dracula and Frankenstein. But others like Deer Hunter, The Sting, Psycho and more are like mid-classics.