Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

I recently started getting some discs used from amazon sellers...but usually i want them to be "like new" condition. I did get the movie 2 for the money from a seller brand new with stickers and wrapped and everything for 89 cents from a seller...got The Rock Criterion collection for 8 bucks used, but good condition...Sometimes I am dissapointed with the case, but i can always swap it out. My biggest problem was with a copy of the Almost Famous bootleg cut...took me a while to get it...i originally bought from ebay for like fourty dollars...the dang thing froze up at the tiny dancer secen...got my money back got one from someone else for a little more, but the box and disc were in beautiful condition...and this one came with the enclosed stillwater CD as well.
Old 10-07-09, 04:48 PM

75% or more of my collection was bought used. I have only had a problem once with a scratched disc. Theres no way I can afford to buy all the movies I want new. I don't care where they came from before I got them as long as there in good shape and play perfect. I'll keep saving money by buying used!
Old 10-07-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm all about buying used, it allows me to buy more stuff....
Old 10-07-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've bought quite a bit used. Very rarely have I been disappointed.
Old 10-08-09, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a stash of pot in a DVD at a pawn shop, apparently it was not checked before putting on the racks. I pointed this out to the cashier and we got a good laugh out of it. I think it was one of those Anchor Bay Hammer Collection discs.
Old 10-08-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Count me among those who only buy used if it's something OOP, too. Either that, or if it's one hell of a deal.
Old 10-09-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I buy used ALL the time, the pawn shop has DVD's at nine for twenty dollars, I do REPLACE THE CASES and clean the disks, I just buy a few cases from Meritline or some other such place, I like buying used as it saves me a LOT of money, blu-rays are about ten dollars used, sometimes I can find the same ones new for the same price or even two dollars more, so I might as well buy it new for a couple of extra dollars.
Old 10-09-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
I found a stash of pot in a DVD at a pawn shop, apparently it was not checked before putting on the racks. I pointed this out to the cashier and we got a good laugh out of it. I think it was one of those Anchor Bay Hammer Collection discs.
Ironic, considering the owner probably pawned it to get some money to buy some pot.
Old 10-09-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I buy used all the time. I have no problem doing it, and have actually not had any bad discs so far.
Old 10-09-09, 12:08 PM

The only used DVD I've ever had that skipped and such was 'Jerry Springer - Ringmaster', from Amazon Marketplace.
Old 10-09-09, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato
Ironic, considering the owner probably pawned it to get some money to buy some pot.
Old 10-11-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will never buy used.
Old 10-12-09, 06:53 AM

I buy used about 2/3rds of the time - in store, online (Amazon, Half, eBay, various forums). Out of the several hundred DVDs I've gotten, I could count on one hand the number of those I've found to be in unacceptable shape and maybe only a few that I bought knowingly aware of it being it less than pristine ($50 for the first two Wrestlemania Anthologies AND the entire Royal Rumble Anthology? $8 for the Indiana Jones set?).

I've gotten an number of OOP WWF/WWE DVDs used for cheap ($10 or less) when Gamestop used to have DVDs and those same DVDs go for $20-30 or more now.
Old 10-13-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy used all the time. If its cheaper used, that's what I go with. I've very rarely had a problem.
Old 10-13-09, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I buy used all the time. If its cheaper used, that's what I go with. I've very rarely had a problem.
Same here. I buy used from FYE and rarely have any problems with them.
Old 10-13-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by a/v Junkie
Same here. I buy used from FYE and rarely have any problems with them.
I don't like buying from FYE simply because they re-shrinkwrap the cases (though they are clearly marked as USED). The places I go to around here that specialize in selling used have the discs behind the counter and let you check the disc surface before buying. They also have buffing machines to clean them and buff out any scratches if they need it.
Old 10-13-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own probably close to 6k discs and I'd say about half (or more) were purchased used. I mostly buy used discs from online retailers like Amazon Market place and Second Spin. Locally I purchase used discs from Newbury Comics frequently and all but one discs I bought were near new and pristine looking. The one disc that was scratched played perfectly so I couldn't complain.
Old 10-13-09, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't like buying from FYE simply because they re-shrinkwrap the cases (though they are clearly marked as USED). The places I go to around here that specialize in selling used have the discs behind the counter and let you check the disc surface before buying. They also have buffing machines to clean them and buff out any scratches if they need it.
For me, I feel safe buying used from FYE. I don't know about buying used online though. I like to see what I'm buying (condition wise).
Old 10-13-09, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't remember the last time I've bought a used DVD from FYE... As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I bought anything from FYE, period. Everything in that store seems extremely overpriced.