Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 5th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/23-1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 5th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/23-1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 5th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/23-1

Just finished watching Pieces of April. Hadn't seen it in years and forgot how much I liked it. Really nice film.
Old 11-25-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 5th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/23-1

I just downloaded one of my favorite Christmas episodes of Bewitched!
Old 11-25-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the past 4 years I've burned dvd compilations of my favorite Christmas shows (for my own personal use, don't want to get in trouble here), so it's much easier for me than finding Thanksgiving shows in my collection. Especially if I can't fall asleep, I put in the dvd-r and I have 6 hrs worth of Christmas shows...
Old 11-25-09, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by RobCA
I am looking forward to my annual marathon of Friends' Thanksgiving episodes.
Perhaps it's been mentioned before, but I just noticed you can watch these online at thewb.com through 11/29.
Old 11-25-09, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by hasslein
For the past 4 years I've burned dvd compilations of my favorite Christmas shows (for my own personal use, don't want to get in trouble here), so it's much easier for me than finding Thanksgiving shows in my collection. Especially if I can't fall asleep, I put in the dvd-r and I have 6 hrs worth of Christmas shows...
I tend to go for Christmas more too, I have tons and tons of Christmas stuff to watch. I'm glad a lot of the Nicktoons Christmas shows are on iTunes now so I can own them forever!
Old 11-25-09, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I agree, but I like to wait until after Thanksgiving just so I can spend all that time watching my Christmas stuff.
Well, I am off for the holidays and I hope everyone enjoys time with their family and friends this season! My family and I already decided tomorrow at 8pm we are sitting on the couch and watching Miracle on 34th Street! Can't wait!
Old 11-25-09, 10:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Rather unexpectedly had the day off on Monday (home keeping an eye on a sick dog -- poor baby has pneumonia and spent most of the weekend in the hospital), so I got in a good bit of watching the first day. Took me a little longer to actually get around to updating my list.

I'm usually a "no Christmas movies till after Thanksgiving" type of gal, but I decided to dispense with that this year and just mix in all the eligible holidays at will throughout the challenge. Watching Christmas movies makes me happy, and I could use a little extra happy right now.
Old 11-25-09, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone catch tonight's Modern Family? Would that episode count? It centers around a birthday, but they mention early on that the kid's birthday falls right near Thanksgiving, so it usually gets lost in the shuffle.

Not a big deal, was just curious if anyone else was gonna count it.
Old 11-26-09, 08:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by mijorico
Anyone catch tonight's Modern Family? Would that episode count? It centers around a birthday, but they mention early on that the kid's birthday falls right near Thanksgiving, so it usually gets lost in the shuffle.

Not a big deal, was just curious if anyone else was gonna count it.
Watched this series for the first time last night, only because other sites had it listed as a Thanksgiving episode, so I'm counting it, reluctantly.
Old 11-26-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would eli roth's THANKSGIVING faux-trailer count as a short film?
Old 11-26-09, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
would eli roth's THANKSGIVING faux-trailer count as a short film?
I think it would, given it's novelty, as long as one didn't over do it and count dozens of Christmas trailers separately.

Reminder to everyone of that (direct-to-video ?) Thankskilling available on Netflix instant watch I believe. Will try to remember to watch it tonight after work.
Old 11-26-09, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hasslein
I've always considered doing something similar, I got so many TV DVDs and it would be much more convenient if I had all the holiday episodes on one disk rather then having to swap disks every half hour sitcom.

Of course I'm fairly lazy so I always just swap disks even though it would be less work in the long run to make the compilations
Old 11-26-09, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Corey31
I've always considered doing something similar, I got so many TV DVDs and it would be much more convenient if I had all the holiday episodes on one disk rather then having to swap disks every half hour sitcom.

Of course I'm fairly lazy so I always just swap disks even though it would be less work in the long run to make the compilations
Same here. I used to think that I'd make my own compilations, but I doubt I ever will. I'm pretty lazy.

But I do have dozens of DVDs of holiday shows burned off of cable. Still making more, haven't used the ones I made two years ago.
Old 11-26-09, 01:03 PM

Well I am now officially out of Thanksgiving things to watch. I watched every Thanksgiving episode in my collection. Tonight I will begin with Christmas stuff, but won't be going nuts. I don't want to run out of things before Christmas even gets here. Just one or 2 things tonight and tomorrow while I put up the decorations.
Old 11-26-09, 01:38 PM

Well I am now officially out of Thanksgiving things to watch. I watched every Thanksgiving episode in my collection.
You could always get your money's worth out of cable TV or internet (Hulu/netflix stream) and watch some of the thousands of hours of Thanksgiving programming.
Old 11-26-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two Christmas episodes I really wish I had a copy of, the Eight is Enough tearjerker, and the Season 4 Love Boat with Dirk Benedict... Have never seen the Wonder Years shows.. Maybe Shout! will license more shows for a second Christmas compilation next year.... Oh yeah, while am at it, the Six Million Dollar Man and Fall Guy Christmas eps as well...
Old 11-26-09, 05:43 PM

Did you search online for those? I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of those last year. On legal sites, they are all obviously available otherwise.
Old 11-26-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have dial up & can't watch shows online, no cable or dish either. I was hoping the Love Boat Volumes would come out a little quicker, it would be season 4 Vol 1, but CBS/Paramount still have season 3 to release first.
Old 11-27-09, 12:29 AM

What's the best way to find Christmas TV shows online to watch?
Old 11-27-09, 07:27 AM

What's the best way to find Christmas TV shows online to watch?
The Monkees! Some rookie who hasn't run a holiday challenge for 5 years now has hacked your account! You may want to change your password.

And to the newbie who hacked your account: It's relatively new and not many people have heard of it yet, but the answer to your question is google.
Old 11-27-09, 10:56 AM

Watched The Ice Storm just now. Wow. Great film, but incredibly depressing. I went into it thinking it was a light family Thanksgiving-set drama, but take out that 'light'. Again, very well done, some great performance and cinematography, but I dare a human being to watch it and not cry or at least well-up.
Old 11-27-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

alyxstarr, I love your list layout.
Old 11-27-09, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
The Monkees! Some rookie who hasn't run a holiday challenge for 5 years now has hacked your account! You may want to change your password.

And to the newbie who hacked your account: It's relatively new and not many people have heard of it yet, but the answer to your question is google.
Well, I'm not sure what to search. I've never really watched anything online the past years.
Old 11-27-09, 06:40 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I finally got on the board last night with A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and the Polar Express. I had never seen PE and really enjoyed it.
Old 11-27-09, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I finally got on the board last night with A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and the Polar Express. I had never seen PE and really enjoyed it.
I didn't like Polar Express, the kids sounded too much like adults and it was overly boring. But to each his own.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.