Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Harry Potter Ultimate Editions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry Potter Ultimate Editions

Just saw this at the Home Theater Forum. The first 2 are coming December 8th.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...e-editions-dvd
Old 09-17-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Harry Potter Ultimate Editions

Originally Posted by person on the forum linked above
I think I will wait for the Final Ultimate Harry Potter Set. Of course it will have all the movies, a couple of magic wands and a live owl.
Old 09-17-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*will also wait for the inevitable complete box set*
Old 09-17-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cue all the people that bought the last box set will begin to complain as they ignored everyone that said there's going to be a special release with every movie until they're done.
Old 09-17-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$40 for DVD and $50 for Blu-Ray. Only 7 and 13 extra minutes. They're not like LOTR Extended, more like Chronicals of Narnia: Lion, Witch, Wardrobe. I want them, but I'll wait for a while.
Old 09-17-09, 08:18 PM

I still got Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on VHS tape, that's good enough for me considering the ultimate edition SD DVD is what $40? No thanks..
Old 09-17-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My parents always end up purchasing the DVD for the Harry Potter movies so I usually just watch them over at their house when I'm in the mood or borrow them.

I'm waiting for the eventually "everything including the kitchen sink on a million discs" blu-ray when all 8 movies are together.
Old 09-17-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Cue all the people that bought the last box set will begin to complain as they ignored everyone that said there's going to be a special release with every movie until they're done.
Those people have no right to complain, as far as I'm concerned. Even before I became heavy into researching upcoming DVD releases, it was blatantly obvious due to the success of the first HP movie that all the books would have adaptations, and that once all of them were released, they would be collected in a box set. I mean, hell, they've had new box sets with the release of each successive movie. It's not like with Hot Fuzz, where a 3-Disc SE was announced a month after the initial release, out of the blue.
Old 09-17-09, 10:54 PM
Banned

I got the first three (first two 2-disc and third single) for $9.99 back when Game Stop still sold used DVDs during their 3 for $10 sale. The other two I've bought used at Blockbuster for $5.00 each and will do the same for the 6th. So as of now I've only paid all together $20.00 + tax for all my Potters. No need for the "Ultimate Editions". Let me know when we see something like the LOTR extended sets and then we'll talk Warner Brothers (of course even those I only paid $5.00 each). Huh it just hit me... All three LOTR theatrical editions and all three LOTR extended editions all together only ran me $25.00. Man... I'm good at this bargain hunting...

Last edited by dkedvd; 09-17-09 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 11:56 PM

I own the original OOP 2-disc DVD's of 1-5. I guess if I find them cheap on bluray. the extended is probably the ABC family versions, just the original deleted scenes put back in
Old 09-18-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Seriously: buying a five-movie set of a seven-movie (or so we thought at the time) series and then finding out there's going to be a larger set? Who could have seen that coming?
Old 09-18-09, 10:32 AM
Banned

I will be getting them though it sucks theres no commentaries.
But I also have to stick my tongue out and spit yet again to the people who lied and said to expect these releases would contain Blu-ray exclusives features or whatever.
Old 09-18-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I will be getting them though it sucks theres no commentaries.
But I also have to stick my tongue out and spit yet again to the people who lied and said to expect these releases would contain Blu-ray exclusives features or whatever.
A) Not everybody is lying when they speculate about movies getting Blu-Ray exclusive content, considering it's become a common practice, especially with WB's catalog titles.

B) If you want to get technical, the Blu-Rays do include extras that the standard DVDs don't, such as the In-Movie experience and the Maximum Movie Mode that Watchmen had.
Old 09-18-09, 11:06 AM

I'll have to pick these up. Those first 2 dvd sets have gotten pretty worn over the years...and even more so that my 3 year old daughter LOVES the Harry Potter movies.

There should be commentaries, tho.
Old 09-18-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad they are finally getting the extended cuts out, by the time the full series is out I will hopefully be Blu and will upgrade from my HD set then.
Old 09-18-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We have all the DVDs so far (I even got the Canadian release of the first movie), but I knew full well there would be SE's, but I also knew I would be waiting for something like BluRay before I bought them.
Old 09-18-09, 08:59 PM

The Digital Bits site has pics of the 2 upcoming HP Ult. movies with the material laid out next to the box. The case width looks like the size of 3 keep cases. I'll pass. An extra 7 minutes isn't worth losing my shelf display space over. And besides, as numerous people have mentioned, there will be a set with ALL of the movies once the last movie comes out (and that last one will be split in 2 movies, IIRC).
Old 09-18-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I think I will stick with my 2 disc dvd sets for now. Hopefully they continue with them for the upcoming movies, and I can get them on the cheap like the others. Maybe once I go blue i will upgrade, but the Harry Potter movies arent at the top of my list to rebuy.
Old 09-18-09, 10:34 PM

Location: The Bright Lights of America by way of the Palace of Wisdom in St. Louis, MO

I own the first 3 movies on 2 disc, the fourth one in single, and the fith on 2 disc, and will probably get the 6th one on blu ray since I am new to that world, but 40 dollars for an "ultimate edition", it is not like it is fear and loathing for christ's sake
Old 09-19-09, 05:45 AM

There is a thread on HTF showing a promo ad stating that ultimate editions of the rest of the films are "coming soon."
Old 09-19-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BillWatkins
There is a thread on HTF showing a promo ad stating that ultimate editions of the rest of the films are "coming soon."
That was stated in the press release.

Beginning December 8, the studio will release on Blu-ray and DVD the first two of eight Harry Potter Ultimate Editions. Each of the Ultimate Editions will include a new one-hour featurette that highlights a unique aspect of the filmmaking process and will be combined to make the complete 8-hour documentary, Creating the World of Harry Potter.
Old 09-19-09, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
I got the first three (first two 2-disc and third single) for $9.99 back when Game Stop still sold used DVDs during their 3 for $10 sale. The other two I've bought used at Blockbuster for $5.00 each and will do the same for the 6th. So as of now I've only paid all together $20.00 + tax for all my Potters. No need for the "Ultimate Editions". Let me know when we see something like the LOTR extended sets and then we'll talk Warner Brothers (of course even those I only paid $5.00 each). Huh it just hit me... All three LOTR theatrical editions and all three LOTR extended editions all together only ran me $25.00. Man... I'm good at this bargain hunting...
It is laughable when LOTR's extended editions were substantial but these extended editions as well as many others these days are 3-7 minutes longer, isn't it? Sure it's extended by name, but the reality is one really adds something to the movie while the other is shit best left on the cutting room floor but slapped back on to make a quick buck. Extended/director's/unrated cuts used to mean something but they've become a dime a dozen that hardly do justice to those labels anymore.

Several years ago one or more of the Potter kids said something about an extended cut and I think Chris Columbus may have too. That combined with all the frivolous extended/director's/unrated cuts there are today made this no surprise at all. Anyone who doesn't have the movies yet may want to get these, but there will likely be the inevitable boxset of them all when the last one comes out.
Old 09-19-09, 03:24 PM

I figured that extended cuts would be coming at some point.

Whenever these are on ABC Family/Family Channel, they are the extended versions. Which are just padded for time, but some of the footage helps fill some plot gaps.
Old 09-21-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll wait as well...
Old 09-21-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jesus, how much shelf space is the whole series going to take up?!?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.