Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDTalk's First Annual Criterion Challenge - September 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: DVDTalk's First Annual Criterion Challenge - September 2009

I appreciate you setting this up, even though not too many people took part. Thanks to this I may finally get my unwatched bunch down to 0 by the end of the year, and I've seen a ton of great movies I'd just never gotten around to watching.
Old 09-25-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I also want to give props to Trevor for the idea. But I, too, am gonna halt the challenge a few days early (I'm viewing one last batch for tomorrow or sunday, and saving a couple of Criterion-Horrors for the Halloween marathon)

But as was already said, this has been a very good marathon. So many movies that I wanted to check out have finally been scratched off my must-see list. I'm about to start work on a fan-vid compilation of all the movies I watched. We'll see how that goes..
Old 09-26-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more and more I watch my Criterion titles, the more I enjoy everything about this challenge. I have *tried* to keep with the intent of this challenge and focus on the movie plus the supplements to every title. I've done very well with all the commentaries, and I have done *ok* with the rest of the supplements, but it's just so tempting to watch another movie when it comes right down to it.

The good news is that I have plenty of titles ready for next year, and I have put a quite a few titles on my wishlist. I need to get the anamorphic version of Brazil and the remastered version of The Seven Samurai. I don't have the Criterion version of Hard Boiled and was VERY disappointed to discover that the version I do have (the Fox Lorber version) was non-anamorphic. I have seen The Killer twice now and was really hoping to make it a double feature with Hard Boiled, but I just can't bring myself to watch any of my non-anamorphic titles.

I did manage to finish all the extras on Rebecca, which was no small feat. I listened to all 3 radio adaptations. I must say that the Orson Wells version (prior to the movie release) was good, the 1941 version with Ronald Colman and Ida Lupino was very good. Judith Anderson reprised her role as Mrs. Danvers in this version. In all actuality, I think in a radio adaptation, Mrs. Danvers is probably the most important character to cast, with the possible exception to "I". Speaking of which, the 1950 version was quite lacking. Laurence Olivier reprised his role as Maxim, but Vivien Leigh was just not as innocent and believable as Joan Fontaine, and whomever played Mrs. Danvers was just not good at all. She was completely wrong for the part and didn't have that eerie/uncomfortable vibe that Judith Anderson so perfectly exemplified in both the movie and the 1941 radio adaptation.

Final thought on Rebecca - Make sure and check out the "How Did You Like the Picture" tallies on the second disc. There was one person on their thoughts about Judith Anderson that made me laugh outloud.
Old 09-26-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I just saw The Ruling Class and thought it was a good movie. It was a tad too long and I felt they should have just scrapped the Ripper part or focused on it a bit earlier. I loved how it made jokes at the upper class and yet showed how desperate these people were to retain control and continue their lineages. Suprisingly, I enjoyed most of the musical numbers and thought some of them were rather funny. I really felt sorry for the Doctor at the end because he really did have good intentions.

Peter O Toole's performance was convincing as he had to play two different characters in the film. I also liked the servant as he served as the chorus for most of the film. Recommended.
Old 09-27-09, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't get to much, but I did pull out my laserdisc player and watched the Taxi Driver commentary, which I haven't watched in maybe 15 years. It was what actually helped me to appreciate the film in the first place. Back then commentaries weren't on every disc, so when they were there it was worth it. They were very informative rather than chatty like they are now. One thing that amused me was how critics of Quentin Tarantino always mention how all he does is "quote" past movies and genres and then Marty Scorcese spends half the movie, "Oh, I took this from Goddard. This, I took from Val Lewton," etc. Also surprising was how he said he put it together like it was a Horror film, with all the same beats. Of course his idea of Horror was 40s stuff from when he was a kid.

Such a shame they never brought this to DVD. It even has a music only track. The other thing that surprised me was how bad laserdisc looks now. I'm spoiled by Blu-ray, but even in comparison to DVD and digital cable, LD looks pretty bad. It's just that at the time, it was so much better than VHS and also it was on standard def TVs. HDTV brings out the weaknesses of LD, such as the lower color resolution and analog picture. I did take advantage of having the LD player out and watched a few of my other LDs like The Compleat Beatles and most of my Compleat Tex Avery. I didn't get to my Criterion Pink Flamingos or Criterion Polyester like I planned. Oh well.
Old 09-29-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I watched a couple more during the weekend before the Halloween challenge starts, but was too lazy to list them. It sure was a great marathon though.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm about to start work on a fan-vid compilation of all the movies I watched. We'll see how that goes..
Hope you enjoy!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7HI8L3eSXEk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7HI8L3eSXEk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-30-09, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed this and look forward to doing it next year. I didn't get to watch nearly as much as I wanted because I had a lot of commitments and didn't have the time. I bought 41 Criterions during the B&N sale and barely touched on those, which was disappointing. Good news is that I will have a lot more time for the horror challenge this coming month.

I would like to say thanks to Trevor for getting this up and running and if it happens again next year I will hopefully have more time to devote to it. I am glad that I got to watch what I did and it gave me a great excuse to get through a good many extras. Anyway, I hope the turnout is a little better next year and I plan to participate again.
Old 09-30-09, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked this challenge even more than the Academy Awards Challenge, which is the only other challenge I participate in. I usually watch a lot of Criterions, but it was nice to explore beyond my "normal" focus of films and also look at some of the additional materials that I have overlooked from time to time. I actually wish it wasn't ending, I'd really just like to keep a running journal of all the Criterions that I watch.

I suppose I could do that, but people here push me to watch more.

Also, I will echo the thanks to Trevor. I enjoyed working on the checklist...mainly to diversify time periods.
Old 10-05-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant to chime in earlier on this and also throw in a big thanks to Trevor for starting this challenge. I wasn't sure how this would go for me, but it went quite well and I had a blast watching the movies I did. I especially was happy to watch 4 Hitchcock movies that I had never seen before (it would have been 5, but my Spellbound DVD doesn't work.) The good news is that I still have plenty of titles left for next year and have a few on my wishlist anyways.
Old 10-06-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yep thanks trev and everyone else involved!

i had a paltry list, so am looking forward to doubling it next year lol
Old 10-07-09, 12:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Hope you enjoy!
Wow. Awesome work there Mondo! I wish I had the patience and industriousness to do stuff like that.
Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I actually wish it wasn't ending, I'd really just like to keep a running journal of all the Criterions that I watch.
There's always the monthly unwatched film threads, or the other Challenges.
I suppose I could do that, but people here push me to watch more.
I agree. Making our hobby a sort of group exercise makes it more enjoyable.
I enjoyed working on the checklist...mainly to diversify time periods.
I keep telling myself to stop doing checklists, as my OCD really takes control, but I can't stop. Now I'm wrapped up in the much larger Horror Challenge checklist.

You're welcome to everyone for the thanks for my very minimal effort in getting the Criterion Challenge started. Thanks you all for participating, I really enjoyed all the discussion and your lists. See you next year, and feel free to volunteer to run this thing.

Don't forget about all the other Challenges. Feel free to join them just to watch a few Criterions of that particular genre.
Old 10-07-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to get through a large chunk of my Criterion backlog, as well as quite a few extras. I'd definitely take part next year.