Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best affordable method of storing a huge DVD collection?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best affordable method of storing a huge DVD collection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Best affordable method of storing a huge DVD collection?

Originally Posted by Steve
The other caveat is with those blasted dvd -18. I truly loath those. I find them by looking around the alphabet category (ie. if the movie starts with a "Si" then I know where to look. A little bit of a pain to find these without their cases, but it's not bad.
Not sure what you mean by this. I thought you alphabetized all your films? Not sure what a dvd18 has to do with it.

It is interesting, because I am the exact opposite. I personally cant stand the slide in sleeves in the books. I tried it years ago with my cds and many got scratched. I imagine the pages are better nowadays but I am still mildly afraid of them.
Old 08-28-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
The other caveat is with those blasted dvd -18. I truly loath those. I find them by looking around the alphabet category (ie. if the movie starts with a "Si" then I know where to look. A little bit of a pain to find these without their cases, but it's not bad.
Originally Posted by jjcool
Not sure what you mean by this. I thought you alphabetized all your films? Not sure what a dvd18 has to do with it.
I'm pretty sure he is using "dvd-18" as a catch-all term for double sided discs that do not have disc art....
Old 08-29-09, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I'm pretty sure he is using "dvd-18" as a catch-all term for double sided discs that do not have disc art....
Yes, dvd -18 is double sided which - by definition - means there is no disc art, and you have to put on magnifying glasses to see the .2 font size lettering around the inner circle of the disc! Especially with box sets (MGMs' original outer limits is a great example) I look at an entire page ( or 2) of silver with no art work or large letters to tell me what in the world I am looking at. Yes, they are in alphabetical order so I can navigate to the right section, pretty easily - but getting to the right disc (and right side) is a pain.

then again, I had pretty much the same problem when these were in the original cases!

Did I mention I hate DVD -18?
Old 08-29-09, 10:54 AM

p.s. haven't had any problems with scratches due to sleeves. Haven't look at the dvd -18's in a while. They are potentially a problem (Did I mention I hate dvd-18s?).

You have to weigh the pain of getting the disc out of the case each time vs. getting out of a CD sleeve. personally, i got tired of fighting with some discs in some cases where I was afraid the disc would crack because I had such a difficult time getting them out.

Also, there are some box sets where the discs are stacked on each other? Ugh.. the CD organizer systems really helps those.. at least for me.

If I had all the room in the world would I do this? Hmm. maybe not. But I have over 1300 movies in a 2'x'2 space - and that is something.

oh, one more thing. Because these binders hold about 200 discs - i was able to bring my entire foreign collection (2 binders) over to a friends house. It was fun picking out which of the 400 movies we wanted to watch! Try doing THAT with the discs in their original cases!!

In fact, in case of a fire - it would be a snap to save my entire collection. I could probably make 2 trips (stacking 4 binders) in about 2 minutes to get these out of the house. Not saying this would be my first priority (family comes first, of course!). But still nice to know.
Old 08-29-09, 10:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by beebs
I use sleeves (Discsox, wait for 50% off deals and stock up) in Ikea boxes (2 boxes, $4.99). Each box holds 60 or so movies. I put it all on simple unfinished pine furniture (one shelf, $75, holds 500 movies). 12" x 12" x 5' tall. Amazingly compact.

I like these sleeves from Discsox, I hadn't seen them before. I've been using stuff from Shop4Tech (resealable plastic covers with the disc in a paper sleeve). I've recently noticed that the paper sleeves are scratching the DVDs when I remove them. It's not ruining the discs, they still play fine, but I hate having them scratched. How are these Discsox sleeves, have you had any problems with scratches? Is it a tight fit or do the discs remove easily?
Old 08-30-09, 12:32 PM
Suspended

I just line my entire wall with those shelf brackets and put some wood on them. I have so many DVDs, it's the only plausible way.
Old 08-30-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still prefer the security i get from a hard plastic case. It doesnt sem to take too much extra time for me to get a disc out of the plastic case either.
Old 08-30-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to put my DVDs in binders but the double-sided discs were getting scratched. Now I put my discs in slim cd jewel cases and store them in the Benno dvd towers.
Old 08-31-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Discsox and no scratches yet. They slide in/out easily and protect the DVDs well on both sides. Each sleeve can hold 2 discs and cover art without mutilation. You can easily put the art back in a keepcase and it looks like new if you wanted to sell a movie later on. I agree, though: wait for the sales.
Old 01-23-10, 08:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

It's time to re-think my storage methods (again), thanks mainly to Big Lots and their irresistable $3 movies(!) I've tried every sleeve I can find and they all leave scatches on the DVDs. So now I'm just thinking about using cake boxes. I use them to store all my burned discs and they seem to be all fine and scratch free. I just number the discs and keep an Excel sheet directory to catalog what's stored where.

Does anybody use cake boxes to store their store bought discs? If you can share any experience/ problems/ etc that would be helpful.
Old 01-24-10, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about ripping out the drywall inside your TV room and building shelves between the studs?

Like this, but bigger:
Old 01-24-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoomBoy
What I've done is bought the Billy bookcase from Ikea. Each comes with 5 or 6 shelves, I can't remember. Great, except the size of shelf required for a DVD would mean you'd be able to fit 7 shelves + the bottom fixed shelf.
That's what I've done and I pony up the extra money for the glass doors.
Old 01-24-10, 11:55 PM

Does anybody know when the disc sox have sale prices?
Old 01-25-10, 09:53 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone tell me how many DVD's the billy bookcase holds? I'm moving and will be switching to these from my current setup, I'm trying to figure out how many shelfs I need. Thanks!
Old 01-25-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another space saver is: pick a corner of any room in the house and throw on top of each other:

Old 01-25-10, 11:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

One of my 'problems' with organization is that many of the bookcases I currently use are deeper than one DVD, but I pretty much have to use that space due to lack of it. So I constantly struggle on how to best decide how and what to hide.

Mainly I try to do things like putting TV seasons on those bookcases, with seasons of the same show behind each other, or labels on the shelves indicating what is in the hidden row.

In my perfect world everything would be visible, but that just isn't going to happen with my current space and desire to keep so much.
Old 01-25-10, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Can anyone tell me how many DVD's the billy bookcase holds? I'm moving and will be switching to these from my current setup, I'm trying to figure out how many shelfs I need. Thanks!
If you are talking about the narrow CD/DVD specific one it holds about 10 standard cases per shelf.
Old 01-25-10, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess another option, if you don't care about having them displayed, is to use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Media-Carousel.../dp/B000G7WZQY

There's a few different varieties/makers so maybe not this one specifically. They are usually stackable and some work alone or you can tie them into a computer and have it fish the disc out for you. Of course I hasten to add I haven't used one of these myself and I might be a little concerned about getting the discs out if something goes wrong... but I haven't seen this mentioned before and it is a valid option.

Last edited by nemein; 01-25-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course I cant find it now, but I remember reading stories, with pictures, of some carousels failing catastrophicly due to them using plastic gears and whatnot. Keep in mind that if you get a carousel, you are putting alot of eggs in one basket.
Old 01-25-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had some decent results converting bookshelves to DVD shelving. Found two very nice (heavy!) matching book cases where the dimensions were close enough to convert every two existing "book" shelves to three DVD shelves. Ripped the shelves out (hand saw and a sledge, my kind of carpentry!), put some cheap hardware store brackets in, rip some 3/4 plywood shelves, paint it, done. Since the shelf depth was off (too deep) I put some L channel aluminum on the shelves at DVD depth, now everything can be moved back till it hits and it all looks flush (except snappers...!). I even built my TV into the thing. 200$ between materials and the original bookcases. And I am the first to admit, I have some time but little skill, and it wasn't too hard. If I ever fill the whole thing (have only converted one case so far) it will hold about 1800 (sans TV).

Doors really aren't that hard either...anything with hinges and a magnet/latch can be a door. Paneling, plywood, etc.
Old 01-26-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Another space saver is: pick a corner of any room in the house and throw on top of each other:

Looks like the $5.00 bin at Walmart.
Old 01-26-10, 01:52 PM
Cool New Member

I'm considering the DiscSox method for my TV shows solution.. but where'd you get the shoebox? I don't see it on the DiscSox website..
Old 01-26-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1200? Huge? I wish I had a problem storing 1200 DVDs. I'm up to 3000+ and it's getting ridiculous. I either need to do some serious weeding or, shit I don't know. It sucks. I use the Sauder units that Suncoast used to sell. Now that they're all out of business near me, I have to order them online for almost twice the price.