Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Life Expectancy Of A DVD? Blu Ray Or Regular

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Life Expectancy Of A DVD? Blu Ray Or Regular

In 11 years only had 2 DVDs go bad that I know of- Halloween 4 (made by Crest National) became unplayable after one year, disc turned a weird color, and Boogie Nights which was manufactured by Panasonic, who also made most of the early Universal discs. I check my old Universals every once in a while and they seem to still be fine, also have Kentucky Fried Movie which is famous for rotting but miraculously mine's still fine- at least that one's still in print (though with a different cover) and pretty cheap now.

My oldest CD is 24 years old and I haven't had any of them go bad, though many haven't even been touched in over a decade. No surprise but I've had a few laserdiscs manufactured in the 90s by Sony that were fine when new but now have noisy picture.
Old 08-01-09, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, wondered about long term laser rot in regards to older DVD's. I know this was a problem with some early laser discs. Also wondered about oxidization in regards to DVD's. I have heard of some CD's that had an oxidization problem and turned a different color. I think the problem with some of the early laser discs was an adhesive problem. The two sides being glued together. But then again I think that the DVD sides are also glued together with adhesive. I guess we must wait and see what happens with some of these DVD's. I think quality control has helped with some of this software.
Old 12-28-18, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Of course a lot of cases hold the discs in a death grip, and it's impossible to remove them without bending the disc...
I routinely replace cases if there is the slightest death grip. I just don’t play with that mess.