Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you keep track of what you watch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do you keep track of what you watch?

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Just in my head.
ditto

But I write a lot of reviews/essays on movies as well for school. So my school folder on my computer guess is a good place to look to see if I've seen something in the last 5 years, haha.
Old 07-24-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
My stuff is arranged on my shelves by what I've actually watched- the stuff that I've watched completely goes first, then the stuff I've watched but haven't 'finished' and after that is stuff that hasn't been played at all.
That's the exact same way I've got my shelves arranged as well.
Old 07-24-09, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
For TV sets, I have a post-it inside indicating what's the next episode to be watched.
Post Its for me too, with each TV episode number crossed off as viewed, as I proceed through the seasons in order. For movies I simply record the dates viewed on a Post It. Movies viewed within the last year or so live on one shelf, all others on several other shelves. I've been using this "system" for 3-4 years now. Simple and effective.
Old 07-24-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been keeping track of my theatrical and DVD viewings with Excel since September of 2004 (the first entry being "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".) I list the title, the director, and the date watched. I'm kind of obsessive about keeping it up to date.

I've thought of writing mini-reviews (or full reviews) of all the titles I watch and putting them on a blog or something, but I can never gather the motivation to actually do it. Besides the fact that the few reviews I have tried to write really aren't very good.
Old 07-25-09, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep track of all my viewing on DVD Profiler. It's the best thing since DvdSpot that I have found.
Old 07-25-09, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by advdfreak
I keep track of all my viewing on DVD Profiler. It's the best thing since DvdSpot that I have found.
Ditto.

I also like to sort my collection with the movies I haven't watched first, or just show the discs I have not watched, then either decide on a genre I want to watch and sort it again, or just run through them and pick out a few.
Old 07-25-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's interesting that I don't considering I'm fairly OCD about updating my purchases in Excel and DVDAF on a strict basis.

I maintain a blog to journal my overall film experiences (purchases/reviews/etc.) but I don't do so as frequently as I'd like. That's simply attributable to the fact that my reviews suck and take up too much time to do. I don't generally analyze films down to every detail - if they work, great, if they don't, they are forgotten about. Simple.

So I plan on restructuring my blog down to its most basic level - keeping it as a journal instead of a review site. Thus, keep a quick mini review of sorts, maybe some highlights and my overall rating of the film. Keeping it short and tight will allow me to track what I watch more frequently - I think. At least that is the intention.
Old 07-25-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. I keep track of it all on this website called DVDTalk.
Old 07-25-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
I use DVD Profiler "Last Watched" feature. The problem with that is when you watch a disc again, it removes the last instance of when it was watched from the list. So I use the notes feature to also add a date I watched a disc. I post reviews of each disc I've watched, so those without reviews can also be flagged as not-watched.
You can see what you have watched if you go to tools>options>Users>history, you can see all of the dates something has been watched.
Old 07-25-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, date and film for the last six years.
Old 07-29-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I use DVDpedia to keep track of my discs, and it has a "last viewed" option that I've been using since I got the program about a year ago.
Old 07-29-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah! Since November 1993 I can tell you every movie I've seen - where (theater, on VHS at home, DVD at Home) and with whom. So, if you ask me how many times I have seen a particular movie I can open up this MS-Word file and tell you not only how many times I've seen it, but also where, when and with whom!!
Old 07-29-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried a few times to start tracking what I watch with DVD Profiler, but I'm too damn lazy to keep it up
Old 07-29-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to use DVDSpot, but now I keep track of watched discs on an Excel spreadsheet.
Old 07-31-09, 02:36 AM

I do it the old-fashioned way as well. I have a journal/book in which I list the day and the movies watched. I've only been doing this for the past 2 years, but I enjoy looking back and seeing my movie watching patterns or what I watched two years ago today. I should start writing notes (because sometimes I watch so many movies, that I can't remember much about a certain one or two, months later-especially ones that weren't entirely interesting). But, for now, I just keep it simple with just the title and date.
Old 07-31-09, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

As some others mentioned, I used to when DVDSpot was an option. It was easy to just marked stuff watched with that site.

Nowadays I don't bother. Life can never get too busy (sometimes) where you can't remember if you watched a movie or not
Old 08-01-09, 10:40 AM

Yes, I have kept an Excel spreadsheet for the past 7 years.
I find it most useful for determining whether or not I have watched a commentary track or the extras. Especially important when there are multiple commentaries. I also take notes on Easter Eggs and whether the comms or extras are worth revisiting.
Old 08-01-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to when DVD Spot was around. Man, I REALLY miss that site. Such fucking bullshit that it's gone.
Old 08-01-09, 12:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ So did we ever figure out why Cnet even bought DVDSpot? Did they do anything with it other than close it down?