Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Multiplicity Widescreen ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Multiplicity Widescreen ?

Does anyone know where to find a widescreen copy of Multiplicity ? This has, perhaps, the absolute worst pan and scan that I have ever seen. I have seen a copy that said widescreen and fullscreen with a particular UPC. But when I put the number into Google, I find both Widescreen/Fullscreen and just fullscreen dvds with the same UPC. Also, I have seen versions that say that they have widescreen on them and yet another UPC. I looked up Multiplicity widescreen and got results with several different UPCs. Can the version that has both fullscreen and widescreen be found and how can I tell which version it is before I buy it ? I like the movie, but I really hate the pan and scan version.
Old 07-12-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Multiplicity Widescreen ?

Columbia discontinued the Flipper and only re-issued it in FS, so unless you look at pawn shops and stuff to make 100% sure it's the flipper I doubt you can find it online. I agree with the P/S process it sucks, I seen this movie in thetaers and then bought it on VHS and even at 16 I knew something was wrong
Old 07-12-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check Amazon Marketplace and Half Price Books. On Amazon Marketplace it may be expensive, but there will likely be sellers identifying theirs as a WS/FS copy, and for some reason, HPB seems to be a magnet for OOP Sony flippers (others include Last Action Hero, The Cable Guy, Sweet and Lowdown, Idle Hands, Roxanne, etc.).

In regards to the UPC, Sony did not change the UPC, so buying off the internet, unless the item is used, is not recommended. However, on most of these DVDs, the back cover will clearly note, inside a box, that "Side A includes a widescreen presentation preserving the original theatrical presentation. Side B includes a full screen version. It has been formatted to fit your TV." or something similar. The only notable exception I'm aware of is Mixed Nuts, on which Sony used the old covers for awhile.

There is also a thread dedicated to these discs on the forum. I don't know where it is, though.
Old 07-12-09, 09:04 PM
Banned

So, what is the UPC of the widescreen flipper version ?
Old 07-12-09, 09:49 PM

not at home, but i'll check it and post UPC..

this was one of the more harder to come by flipper titles in my searches.

cable guy was abundant with each, but this one and Revenge were hard to track down
Old 07-12-09, 10:17 PM
Banned

I've seen it at pawn shops but they have always been scratched. I own the full screen but am always on the lookout for wide.
Old 07-12-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember watching this on TV... the panning and scanning was worse than The People Vs. Larry Flynt. Especially since this is an effects heavy picture. I kinda remember liking this movie, just a little.
Old 07-12-09, 11:08 PM
Banned

I know what you guys mean about the P&S'ing. Multiplicity is the worst that I have ever seen. It was, I think, the only movie that I've really noticed it being panned and scanned. They could have done a better job. For instance, Matilda was put out as a pan and scan version. I know that it was around 2.35, but from looking at the "fullscreen" video, there is very little that says pan and scan. I'm, surprise, too. I thought that it was just open matte, but that doesn't seem to be the case....but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-12-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the film was shot open matte, but the special effects were 2.35 for practical reasons. You really only notice the P&S during those shots.
Old 07-15-09, 08:03 PM

I love this movie. I've seen it many times over.

I have the flipper, fs/ws
did you still need the upc #?
Old 07-16-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I said in my posts, the problem with Sony changing the discs is that they did not change the UPC. Both the WS/FS flipper version of all of the affected Sony titles and the FS-only versions have the same UPC. Unless you or someone else has the case/disc in hand to inspect, there's no way to differentiate.
Old 07-16-09, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sathlin
I love this movie. I've seen it many times over.

I have the flipper, fs/ws
did you still need the upc #?
Well, apparently, the UPC for both version are the same. That sucks. I'd really like to get the movie, but only want a widescreen verson. FYE, though, says it has the widescreen version. Maybe I'll try there.