Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD upconvert vs Blue-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD upconvert vs Blue-Ray

Does anyone else here not see that much of a difference or is it just me? I have had my TV calibrated and use good name brand equipment and everything is working,and set up as it should. The calibrater said the Pioneer TV in my theater room is spot on. I alsdo have a Samsung Plasma and Sharp LCD in other rooms and on all of them, I do not see much if any difference between a good upconverted DVD and Blue Ray! I And the Blue Ray discs are typically $10 more, and the Blue Ray players are priced much higher. I think we are being taken for a ride. I have talked to a number of people who feel the same way I do about the difference and only one person who said he sees a noticable difference. I was wondering what the generaa consensus on this forum is when it comes to upconverted DVD`s vs Blu-Ray DVD`s?
Old 07-09-09, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: DVD upconvert vs Blue-Ray

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/557...ting-mean.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...xtra-cost.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...t-blu-ray.html
Old 07-09-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is Blue-Ray?

I am sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Last edited by DirkUSA; 07-09-09 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

My opinion: the difference between Blu-ray and upconverted DVD is night and day on my front projection system. The vivid color and lack of compression artifacts that Blu-ray offers just cannot be acheived by upconversion.
Old 07-09-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure you're not buying some cheap Asian black market product known as "Blue-ray"?

Start buying real Blu-ray discs and I'll bet the differences become more apparent.

All kidding aside, this is 100% subjective. Some see it, some don't. If you don't, great, you'll be saving money by purchasing cheap DVDs. But I'll bet if you did a side-by-side comparison with certain titles it would be much more obvious to the casual viewer.
Old 07-09-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

As Killer said, it is all subjective. Depeneds on your setup, depends on the discs involved, and depends on the viewer as well. Some will see a better picture with Blue Ray, some will see a better picture with upconverted dvd.
Old 07-09-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderwolf7
Blu-Ray DVD`s?
Blu-rays aren't DVDs. And your apostrophes are backward.
Old 07-09-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
All kidding aside, this is 100% subjective. Some see it, some don't.
Just because some people see it and some don't doesn't mean it's subjective.
Old 07-09-09, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Just because some people see it and some don't doesn't mean it's subjective.
While the technical differences between the two is not subjective, whether there is value in moving up from upconverted DVD to Blu-ray is subjective.
Old 07-09-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
As Killer said, it is all subjective. Depeneds on your setup, depends on the discs involved, and depends on the viewer as well. Some will see a better picture with Blue Ray, some will see a better picture with upconverted dvd.
Really? I can understand someone with poor eyesight not seeing much of a difference between the two - but I can't imagine anyone seeing a better picture on a DVD.
Old 07-09-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cpgator
Really? I can understand someone with poor eyesight not seeing much of a difference between the two - but I can't imagine anyone seeing a better picture on a DVD.
They're the same people who, even after three years, can't see that there is no "e" in Blu-ray.
Old 07-09-09, 02:09 PM

It's not always poor eyesight that comes into play but just a different set of priorities (e.g., music mp3 vs. sacd). However, I tend to agree with you about someone thinking a DVD is actually better.
Old 07-09-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bsmith
It's not always poor eyesight that comes into play but just a different set of priorities (e.g., music mp3 vs. sacd). However, I tend to agree with you about someone thinking a DVD is actually better.
I understand someone not thinking it is worth the upgrade, just like i can understand the mp3s. But for someone to just not see any difference between DVD and BD would mean either faulty equipment or faulty eyesight. Or perhaps just a small TV.
Old 07-09-09, 02:53 PM

I understand someone not thinking it is worth the upgrade, just like i can understand the mp3s. But for someone to just not see any difference between DVD and BD would mean either faulty equipment or faulty eyesight. Or perhaps just a small TV.
Screen size vs. viewing distance is probably the biggest reason for not seeing much difference.

I remember getting my first 36" digital tube TV back in 2002. At greater then 5 feet away it was much better then my previous analog TV (fuller looking picture with no visible scan lines). However, as I got closer and closer then 5 feet you could start to see pixelation as the upconverting was filling in the missing content. Especially on moving scenes. DVD's do the same thing.

With HD there is nothing to fill in since all the content is there making viewing even close up very clear. But this is less and less noticeable as you get farther away. For some at greater then 12 feet away from a 27" picture a Blu-ray may not seem like enough of a difference to care about.
Old 07-09-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

DVD (especially up-converted DVD) offers a sharp and clean picture. Blu-ray offers a sharper & cleaner picture. No dispute there.

The subjective part is how much you really care that the picture is sharper and cleaner and how much money you're willing to shell-out for the differences.
Old 07-09-09, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This discussion, or some derivation there of, is going on in enough places already that we don't need a new thread about it...