Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Monsters Vs. Aliens --> 09/29/09 (not in 3D!)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 04:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

they have a new short in 3D, but not the movie itself?? that seems absurd and i was looking forward to seeing it that way on DVD.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=71036

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Monsters Vs. Aliens on 29th September 2009. In the latest computer animated feature from Dreamworks an alien force lands on Earth with murderous intentions. To combat the situation Earth calls upon the wacky group of monsters it has kept locked up in a government facility.

A double-disc DVD edition and the Blu-ray Disc release both include a new short film - B.O.B.’s Big Break - in which B.O.B. (Seth Rogen) and his monstrous crew are on a mission to bust out of Area 52, the government’s top-secret holding cell. Led by mad-scientist Dr. Cockroach P.H.D. (Hugh Laurie) and macho amphibian The Missing Link (Will Arnett), the trio outwits grizzled General W.R. Monger (Kiefer Sutherland) to make a triumphant escape…almost.

B.O.B.’s Big Break will be presented in both 2D and 3D versions, though the main feature is 2D only. Four pairs of 3D glasses will be included on the double-disc DVD and Blu-ray releases. A single-disc DVD edition will also be available.

Single-Disc DVD
■Anamorphic Widescreen
■English, French and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
■English DD2.0 Surround
■English, French and Spanish subtitles
■Modern Monster Movie Making
■Three Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
■Monger’s Plan
■War Room Turns on Monsters
■If You Don’t Know
■DWA Music Video Juke Box
■Filmmaker Commentary
■The Tech of MONSTERS VS. ALIENS
■Top Secret Sneak Peek Files
■How To Train Your Dragon
■Shrek The Musical
■Kung Fu Panda World
■The Penguins of Madagascar
■Shrek The Halls
■Secrets of the Furious Five
■MONSTERS VS. ALIENS Activision Game trailer

Ginormous Double-Disc DVD Edition - As above plus four pairs of 3D glasses and a second disc with the following features:
■B.O.B.’S BIG BREAK (in Monster 3D & 2D)
■Karaoke Music Party
■“More Than A Woman” with B.O.B.
■“Born To Be Wild” with Dr. Cockroach & Missing Link
■“I Will Survive” with Ginormica
■Paddle Ball Game in Monster 3D
■DVD-Rom
■MONSTERS VS. ALIENS Activision Game Demo with Cheat Code
■Creature Feature Fun Factory
■Kung Fu Panda World
■Shrekster.com
■MonstersVsAliens.com
■DreamWorksAnimation.com

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-08-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Monsters Vs. Aliens --> 09/29/09 (not in 3D!)

Dreamworks has stated that they don't want to mess with anaglyphic versions, and will wait for the shutter glasses Blu-ray standard to be finalized before releasing 3-D versions of their features.

I say Bravo, as anaglyph conversions just create confusion and always look far inferior to the polarized theatrical versions anyway.

See these movies in 3-D theatrically, and in a short time, you can see HD high quality 3-D Blu-rays, but in the meantime flat versions are a better idea than anaglyphs for home video. I can't see the reasoning behind adding an anaglyph short though; as it will still create confusion, and may even fool people into thinking the feature is in 3-D when they see the blurb about enclosed glasses, etc. Stupid.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 07-08-09 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Dreamworks has stated that they don't want to mess with anaglyphic versions, and will wait for the shutter glasses Blu-ray standard to be finalized before releasing 3-D versions of their features.

I say Bravo, as anaglyph conversions just create confusion and always look far inferior to the polarized theatrical versions anyway.

See these movies in 3-D theatrically, and in a short time, you can see HD high quality 3-D Blu-rays, but in the meantime flat versions are a better idea than anaglyphs for home video. I can't see the reasoning behind adding an anaglyph short though; as it will still create confusion, and may even fool people into thinking the feature is in 3-D when they see the blurb about enclosed glasses, etc. Stupid.
While I can see why they'd want to wait to avoid anaglyphic versions...

A) As you said, it will be potentially misleading to customers seeing the 3D glasses blurb, and expecting the main feature to be 3D.

B) Not trying to threadcrap here, but honestly, there isn't too much to the movie other than the 3D effects. Not including the 3D version is more or less taking away the main incentive to watch the movie.
Old 07-08-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't be watching any of these animated movies in theaters if it wasn't for the 3-D process.
Old 10-03-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched Bob's Big Break in 3D and it looked liked the worst 3D I ever saw. I liked the short.
Old 10-06-09, 12:01 PM

I own a few dvd's and blu-rays that give the 3d option and I don't even bother to watch them. The red/blue way of watching 3d is horrible in my opinion. I'd much rather watch it in 2D and see everything in proper color than to have red/blue shading on everything.

Seeing the 3D movies in theatres though is quite spectacular when using the polarized lense (or whatever they are called). Can't wait for that technology to be available in the home.

Rick
Old 10-06-09, 02:04 PM

There was some good 3-D effects in the Big Break short.

I liked the fuse on fire effects. I also liked the end scene with all the fires behind them, good sense of depth in 3-D.

But other than those two scenes there wasn't much 3-D in it.
Old 10-21-09, 08:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
There was some good 3-D effects in the Big Break short.

I liked the fuse on fire effects. I also liked the end scene with all the fires behind them, good sense of depth in 3-D.

But other than those two scenes there wasn't much 3-D in it.
i would not prefer a 3D set....just becoz of some effects i wouldn't want to spoil my mood with the entire movie...just my view.
Old 10-22-09, 01:06 PM

Glad they're waiting on the 3D, as the Journey to the Center of the Earth remake looks horrible in 3D on TV.

Also, for fans of MvsA, next Wednesday October 28 on NBC there is going to be a Halloween special: Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutatant Pumpkins from Outer Space."
Best of all, all the original voice talent are back for this special!

Looks pretty cool, my kids are psyched.

Last edited by horroru; 10-22-09 at 01:10 PM.