Wiki lost in the forum update
Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

^You put in *way* too much time with the fake thread...

But it sounds like it could be a fun way to watch stuff you've possibly put off too long and can *easily* sync with the other challenges if one desires. I say start the thread and see if anyone jumps in.
Old 05-01-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^You put in *way* too much time with the fake thread...

But it sounds like it could be a fun way to watch stuff you've possibly put off too long and can *easily* sync with the other challenges if one desires. I say start the thread and see if anyone jumps in.
If I went on, the two would discover that they were both related but one poster was kidnapped by the babysitter when she was working as a nurse. She faked the death of the newborn, so the parents never knew what happened.

I'm going to try and get it up today after I dig up 10 films.
Old 08-16-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Hey, someone let me know when CardiffGiant gets the Criterion Challenge up and running, will ya? I'm still largely detached from the world and life, but I do intend to at least dabble in this challenge next month.
Old 08-17-15, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travis, I'll have a post up about it (and future hosting) later today.
Old 11-16-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just want to put out that if Travis is still wanting to take a vacation from running challenges, if he likes, I'll volunteer to run the TV on DVD Challenge next year.
Old 11-16-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just want to put out that if Travis is still wanting to take a vacation from running challenges, if he likes, I'll volunteer to run the TV on DVD Challenge next year.
At present, I'm planning to run it. I spent nearly three months in outpatient treatment with a week of inpatient treatment in the middle of all that, and I'm fairly stable for now. I'm planning to gorge on the '66 Batman show, whose 50th anniversary will occur during our challenge, so I may as well host, too!
Old 11-16-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
At present, I'm planning to run it. I spent nearly three months in outpatient treatment with a week of inpatient treatment in the middle of all that, and I'm fairly stable for now. I'm planning to gorge on the '66 Batman show, whose 50th anniversary will occur during our challenge, so I may as well host, too!
Glad to hear about your well being, Travis!

I just finished an episode of Batman, starting the series for the comedy challenge. I'm only halfway finished with season 1, so I'm sure I'll still be watching it in January.
Old 11-16-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Glad to hear about your well being, Travis!
Thanks. I've been attending biweekly meetings of the local Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance for awhile now, and that's been helpful. I would certainly recommend anyone dealing with those things to look into whether there's a local branch in your area.

I just finished an episode of Batman, starting the series for the comedy challenge. I'm only halfway finished with season 1, so I'm sure I'll still be watching it in January.
I forget which, but one of the big retailers is supposed to have season sets from that show on DVD for $10 on Black Friday, so this would be a great time for someone interested in it to prepare for January!
Old 11-16-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad to hear you're doing okay Travis. I've been worried about you. Doing an unofficial TV Challenge has been helping me deal with my depression, along with outpatient treatment.
Old 11-16-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome back! I'm glad you're now doing OK - you've been missed!

Batman 66 is a great way to spend the challenge! My two granddaughters (ages 4.5 & 9) *love* the show and ask for it on a regular basis! Makes me proud!
Old 11-16-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I forget which, but one of the big retailers is supposed to have season sets from that show on DVD for $10 on Black Friday, so this would be a great time for someone interested in it to prepare for January!
I don't know about the other seasons, but Best Buy's website has their Black Friday ad. It shows the first season will be $4.99 on DVD.
Old 11-16-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Old 11-16-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I don't know about the other seasons, but Best Buy's website has their Black Friday ad. It shows the first season will be $4.99 on DVD.
If Amazon does a PM on it I'll get at least one copy for my granddaughters to watch at home. Otherwise I'll give the BB site a shot but there's no way I'm going to "The Mall" (where BB is here) to shop... On a "normal" day the traffic in that area is enough to keep one away. BF weekend is nightmare level. That doesn't even take into account mall parking and rude crowds (plus a "crowded when empty" BB to deal with).
Old 12-05-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TV on DVD* Sixth Season Discussion Thread is live, y'all.
Old 12-05-15, 06:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Old 12-19-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Discussion in the current TV on DVD* Challenge thread has led to the idea of expanding that to a year-long thing. Though I suspect many of you here are already aware of that, I wanted to bring it here, too, since this is more or less the default Challenge Host Lounge or whatever. Copied and pasted from that discussion:

I've considered at times whether maybe we ought to consider expanding this to a full-on parallel series of challenges. The problem I see is that TV content is already allowed in all the existing challenges anyway, so there's no obvious reason to have a secondary discussion thread elsewhere. If the TV challenge for the month was alternate to the existing challenge, then it could have some appeal but then the question becomes, "Why are we doing this, too?"

The only themes I can think of that don't presently have their own challenges are Drama, Foreign, and Musical. Obviously, there are plenty of those kinds of movies and TV shows that qualify for existing challenges, but there's no month dedicated just to those. If we shifted TV on DVD* into a parallel series of challenges, then January could be allotted instead to one of those.

Thoughts?
Old 01-02-16, 03:02 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
Since this year's noms come out on Thursday, January 14th, I would recommend:

Pre-Challenge: January 14th - January 29th (where you can watch any nominee announced on the 14th until the challenge begins and have it count, or not)

Challenge: January 30th to February 28th (30 days, like last year)

or we could skip the pre-challenge altogether....thoughts?

And who's gonna take charge of things this year? lisadoris?

I have a few prizes lines up for this year already!!!!

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I was a substitute teacher for last year's challenge but if no one else is interested I'll be happy to host the festivities again.

I don't have a horse in the pre-challenge debate because I'll have my hands full with the TV-on-DVD Challenge until the Oscar Challenge begins. I'll go with whatever the group decides if I'm the Challenge hostess.
Originally Posted by Mao
I vote to scrap the pre-challenge this year and dive right into the challenge on Jan. 30. That way, there's not much of an overlap for the TV Challenge.

And I'd also vote to have the wonderful lisadoris host this one again!

Originally Posted by Trevor
Fwiw, I'd also vote for no pre-Challenge and lisa to run it. But we should probably stop bumping this old thread and use the appropriate thread.

Thanks, Trevor....now I know what this thread is for! Moved the discussion here.
Old 01-04-16, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I'll take the reigns of The Oscar Challenge if no one else volunteers. I'll get the discussion thread going early next week before the nominees are announced.
Old 01-04-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like the pre-challenge, as I was always an advocate for being able to watch things once the nominations come out since that's the start of Oscar season.
Old 01-04-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
I like the pre-challenge, as I was always an advocate for being able to watch things once the nominations come out since that's the start of Oscar season.
I like it too.
Old 01-04-16, 11:15 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

A pre-challenge this year would be 15 days!

That's a long time, but I wouldn't mind it either, as long as we counted only nominees.
Old 01-04-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mao
A pre-challenge this year would be 15 days!

That's a long time, but I wouldn't mind it either, as long as we counted only nominees.
I didn't realize that. In that case, it doesn't matter to me what is decided.
Old 01-04-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Length of pre-challenge isn't a big deal to me either, as it's a limited number of qualifying titles, and I don't put up big numbers in this challenge anyway.
Old 01-04-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd be down with just expanding the duration of the Oscar Challenge to span from the day of announcements to the day of presentation. That's the official Oscar "season", so why not just go with it? I get that the original template was the Horror Challenge's "100 movies in 30 days", but aligning more fully with what the Oscars have set forth makes sense to me, especially since I don't think anyone actually targets 100 movies during this challenge anyway - and if they did, the extra time would certainly be helpful given the run time of a lot of the more prolific qualifying films.

I think someone said they'd put up prizes for this challenge, so maybe to help offset the expanded duration, make completion of the checklist a requirement for prize-winning eligibility? That would reinforce the "challenge" aspect.
Old 01-04-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd be down with just expanding the duration of the Oscar Challenge to span from the day of announcements to the day of presentation. That's the official Oscar "season", so why not just go with it? I get that the original template was the Horror Challenge's "100 movies in 30 days", but aligning more fully with what the Oscars have set forth makes sense to me, especially since I don't think anyone actually targets 100 movies during this challenge anyway - and if they did, the extra time would certainly be helpful given the run time of a lot of the more prolific qualifying films.
That's usually been our argument. I think the pre-challenge concept was a compromise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.