Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last commentary track you listened to & how was it?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's the last commentary track you listened to & how was it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 09:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: What's the last commentary track you listened to & how was it?

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
When I first bought a DVD player in 1999, the audio commentaries were my favorite feature. When I was working I used to put one on ones I had even listened to before. Back then, a lot of these commentaires were carried over from laser disc, so they were for movies that actually had a lot of background information worth talking about. Whether the commentary was by a critic or participants of the production, a lot of time had passed so these people could get nostalgic, and look back at the production with some hindsight and really have some interesting thoughts to impart.

Now that every movie has a commentary (many that seem to be recorded even before the release of the movie), the final product plays more like a contract obligation than anything an audience would find interesting. I rarely bother listening to them any more. It took me awhile to even remember the last commentaries I listened to.

I sampled Alan Ball's commentary on the final scene of the great 'Six Feet Under', and his comments all seemed pithal against the finest, most emotional six minutes of film I've ever seen.

The last one before that was Malcolm McDowell on A Clockwork Orange, which I listened to over a year ago. And while there was many interesting moments, they were spread out too far from one another. Generally, the runtime of the movie is an inefficiant way to deliever the information in the average commentary. Now days I'd rather have a video of an interview that runs as long as the speaker has things to say.
oh you should hear Malcolm's commentary on Caligula - he's much more entertaining than the movie at points - he generally just rips it apart.
Old 06-24-09, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Poultrygeist.

It was decent. B-.
who did the commentary?

watch a Troma disc with Lloyd Kaufman doing a commentary, the guy's a hoot.
Old 06-24-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
The Hit

It was pretty good. It was fun to hear from Tim Roth and John Hurt.

I wish Terence Stamp had been on the track though.
How awesome is this movie. Listened to this track a while ago, it's pretty solid, Terence Stamp while, one of my 5 all-time favorite actors, is a strange strange dude, so it's not surprising he didn't do the commentary. The extremely in-depth interview w/ him on the DVD makes up for it IMO.
Old 06-24-09, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kurt Russell and John Carpenter for "The Thing", Escape from New York, and Big Trouble in Little China, Peter Jackson & gang for all the Lord of the Rings films. Russell and Carpenter just have such a great time you can't help being caught up in the fun. If anyone has any questions at all about the Lord of the Rings films, four commentary tracks per film should answer them!!!!
Old 06-25-09, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Terence Stamp while, one of my 5 all-time favorite actors, is a strange strange dude, so it's not surprising he didn't do the commentary. The extremely in-depth interview w/ him on the DVD makes up for it IMO.
Stamp does a good commentary track on Billy Budd with Steven Soderbergh.
Old 06-25-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Director Peter Yates for The Friends of Eddie Coyle - nice job.
Old 06-25-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
watch a Troma disc with Lloyd Kaufman doing a commentary, the guy's a hoot.
Can you give some examples because I've listened to a few and they were all the same thing, Lloyd complaining about president bush, Lloyd complaining about Hollywood completely ignoring the fact that it wasn't his choice to go indie but films flopping at the box office and the last one that pushed them out of theaters was Combat Shock, and that they hired some girl to show her boobies on whatever film the commentary's on and she backed out at the last minute so she's a bitch.

The last 3 Troma commentaries I listened to were all like that and it really made me think of him as a giant douche even though I grew up with Toxic Avenger when it first came out and thought they were an awesome company.

Anyhow, I also found a related website that has commentaries you can listen to, or if you look at the link for playing it, you can see the mp3 and can download it.

http://listentoamovie.com/list.php?A...vieList&Filter[64]=0&Search=commentary&&Page=1

The have The Toxic Avenger, Kevin Smith's stuff(including An Evening With), the 007 films, classic horror films like dracula, frankenstein, creature from the black lagoon, Mel Brooks stuff and some Bruce Campbell films.

Oh, and Cannibal: The Musical which is highly recommended.

edit: As for the last commentary I listened to, it was some Korean film about a girl that was an assassin. The commenter was some American, know idea who or why he did it, and the only thing he did was narrate what was on the screen, "Oh, she has nice breasts".

I turned it off halfway through, since it was pointless and at the time I was listening to every commentary, and haven't listened to a commentary since then. It's been around 4 years since that day.

It was a thousand times worse than the kids commentary on School of Rock which I sat through the previous day where I watched it for the first time and then with 2 back to back commentaries. Yes, that's School of Rock back to back to back.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 06-25-09 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 07:54 PM

^ I'm referring to Toxic Avenger 2 commentary, even though I had heard the commentary with the first edition of the DVD, which inadvertantly was the R-rated cut, it was odd to hear Lloyd talk about the uncensored gore scenes and the viewer still watching the MPAA R-rated version.
Old 06-25-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I listened to a few the other day.

Aliens. Great commentary mostly Cameron and Gale Anne Hurd. The have a great fondness for each other and have some great stories to tell.

Hostel 2 - not so good. Eli Roth and Tarantino fighting for the microphone.

Mission: Impossible 3 - Cruise and JJ. Cruise wasn't taking it very seriously but still a good listen.
Old 06-26-09, 08:11 AM

I've always found this site interesting when it comes to commentary reviews:

http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/
Old 06-28-09, 08:00 PM

Listened to Titanic (1997), Director's Commentary (Cameron). A lot of the comm was him just saying whether a shot was CGI, miniature, or the boat set in Baja. Was interesting to hear about how some of the stuff was done, but overall not that great. The parts where he talked about the collaboration and rehearsals between himself, Kate and Leo were the best parts.
Old 06-28-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I listened to Cameron's Titanic commentary last night and I agree. He barely said a single word of interest other than that the shot of Leo at the front and then the reveal of the ship cost a million dollars. Wow. But no production history, on-set experience. Zilch. I thought he loved this movie more than his children.
Old 06-28-09, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Finally listened to Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven commentary. I think Scott has provided the most consistant, informative commantaries of any director. Just about every time he does a great mix of technical and antidotal and knows how to make use of his commentary time. I make it a point to listen to his stuff. I just missed this one and never got around it.
Old 06-29-09, 01:52 AM

Just listened to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly commentary by film historian Richard Shickel. Very informative and scene relevant. Naturally a tad dry as he was never on set. He talks mostly about Leone's unique style, the influence on Leone of certain (painted) artistic styles, and his deteriorating relationship with Eastwood.

Especially interesting were the speculations on Leone's religious views. Most prominently (though I had never even thought/noticed it) was the fact that at the end of the film, Tuco is perched on the graveyard cross and it's unstable and ready to break apart at any moment.

Shickel makes an error during the character introduction scenes, calling Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef) "The Ugly" despite the fact that Eli Wallach's initro scene had only ended a few minutes previous with the on-screen titling splash. Though he does later refer to Angel Eyes as "The Bad."
Old 06-29-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Finally listened to Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven commentary. I think Scott has provided the most consistant, informative commantaries of any director. Just about every time he does a great mix of technical and antidotal and knows how to make use of his commentary time. I make it a point to listen to his stuff. I just missed this one and never got around it.
Agreed, Tony Scott's commentaries are normally pretty good aswell.

Just listened to the Hulks commentary with Tim Roth and Louis Leterrier. Quite good as it was abit technical and Roth did mention how he finds directing.
Just gotta decide what's next to listen to. Just got Eastbound and Down and the new Do The Right Thing BD so perhaps one of them next!
Old 06-29-09, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies

his commentary for Legend is also fascinating.
Old 07-15-09, 08:16 PM

The seinfeld cast commentaries are horrible. Mostly talking about what they were wearing and elaine's hairstyles.. lol..

Started watching A fish called wanda commentary. Not sure if i will finish it, going to finish all the specials first. Had a lot of deleted scenes to watch.
Old 07-15-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sathlin
The seinfeld cast commentaries are horrible.
Especially the ones with Jerry and Larry. They're atrocious.
Old 07-16-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

The fan commentary on Friday-13th:Final Chapter. Great deal of fun (Much,much better than the director's) It even got me interested in checking out their work(s) (Hatchet,Wrong Turn 2)
Old 07-16-09, 10:02 AM

Even though at times it seems like Ron Howard kind of just stops talking and enjoys rewatching his film during his commentary for Cocoon - he provides alot of fun, interesting facts of the filming. The funniest part is when he calls his brother Clint an 'asshole' - which he says lightheartedly.

July commentaries:

- Killer Klowns from Outer Space [great commentary]
- Sunshine [Danny Boyle does some of the best dvd commentaries]
- The Blob (1958) [both commentaries from the Criterion release]
- Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope
- Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow [blah blah blah]
- The War of the Worlds (1953) [Joe Dante commentary a definate highlight of the special edition]
- Predator 2 [Director commentary: a few interesting tidbits here and there, but largely dull]
- Invasion of Astro-Monster
- Return from Witch Mountain [a definate surprise and favourite commentary of the month]
- In the Shadow of the Moon
- Flash Gordon Brian Blessed commentary track is almost as entertaining as the film itself

Last edited by Giles; 07-16-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-16-09, 10:11 AM

The commentary on Tropic Thunder with the actors is extremely funny.
Old 07-16-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Listened to the entire Fanboys commentary last night. Good stuff, never a second of silence, plus it has the love of my life Kristen Bell on it. Her story of when Billy Dee first walked on set was hilarious.
Old 07-17-09, 02:55 AM

Gee, its been about 3 years since I watched through a film with the commentary on. That film was the original King Kong, which came with 2 discs in a tin box..
Old 07-17-09, 07:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Both commentaries on The War of the Worlds (1953) were good, other than Gene Barry being somewhat comatose..
Old 07-17-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Last commentary I listened to was the historian one on An Affair to Remember. Excellent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.