Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I be worrying about normal DVDs to be phased out by Blu-Ray?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Should I be worrying about normal DVDs to be phased out by Blu-Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Should I be worrying about normal DVDs to be phased out by Blu-Ray?

Originally Posted by Carcosa
YES Bloo ray is better than DVD

YES you can now get a perfectly acceptable BD player cheaply

YES the price of Bleu raye discs are dropping in general

YES I have a Blu-ray player and I think its fantastic

YES I still buy plenty of DVDs because the selection of Blue Ray movies kind of sucks at the moment....and doesn't appear to be getting that much better that quickly.

YES the Toshiba XDE player makes your DVDs look almost HD quality. Almost.
No. The XDE player adds excessive edge enhancement, which makes your dvds look awful.

NO I have no plans of switching over the vast majority of my DVDs to Blu-rays even if every one of the discs I had where available. Not everything benefits dramatically from HD.

...and it doesn't matter because.....

YES, I will always be able to play DVDs no matter what.

So buy DVDs and don't give it a second thought. If you can get it on Blu-ray, that's even better.
Old 06-24-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UngersPride
In addition, when anyone wishes to enter the Blu-Ray world, they will need to put down quite a chunk of change...$200 for proper cables....
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Not sure what cables you're referring to (or where you're buying them), but an HDMI cable can be found for about $50.
If any of my friends spent $50 (nevermind $200) on a HDMI cable, I'd smack them.

Originally Posted by UngersPride
High-end cables can set you back hundreds of $$.
Only if you drink the Kool-Aid.
Old 06-24-09, 05:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I agree, please do not spend more than $10 shipped for an HDMI cable (and even $10 is more than you need to spend).

My monoprice cable (less than $10 shipped) works just as well as anything the stores are trying to hawk for $50-100+.
Old 06-24-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my HDMI cable off Amazon for less than $5.
Old 06-24-09, 11:18 PM

When the zombies come, and all you have is your massive dvd library and a generator, you won't care that you didn't upgrade to Blu Ray.

And the zombies are coming.
Old 06-25-09, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine cost a dollar ( thank you amazon.com) and it looks amazing. What's the deal w/ the high price HDMI cables btw?...never understood that part..
Old 06-25-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
When the zombies come, and all you have is your massive dvd library and a generator, you won't care that you didn't upgrade to Blu Ray.

And the zombies are coming.
Along these lines, I suggest that everyone's DVD library include the insightful documentary, Shaun of the Dead. It will be helpful when the zombies come.
Old 06-25-09, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

YES the Toshiba XDE player makes your DVDs look almost HD quality. Almost.
No. The XDE player adds excessive edge enhancement, which makes your dvds look awful.
Nope, not to me. I think they look pretty darn good.
Old 06-25-09, 01:56 PM

Well now that more and more people are getting PS3's and more and more people have blu ray drives coming with the new computers that they are buying, it kinda seems dumb to get a movie on DVD that you can get on Blu Ray for 5 bucks more.

Blu Ray is slowly taking over, I remember a few months ago at the local Fred meyer there was maybe 20 Blu Ray titles, now there is double that.

Like someone else said if the movie is sorta rare/less popular then get it on DVD but if your talking the Matrix, Goodfellas, Bladerunner etc then get it on Blu Ray.
Old 06-25-09, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fanboy
If any of my friends spent $50 (nevermind $200) on a HDMI cable, I'd smack them.
Cables can be found $20 or under if one actually shops around. There are those who think you need a $200 to do it all properly. The makers of the $200 cable have done a real swell marketing job I guess.
Old 06-25-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by afultz075
^ I agree, please do not spend more than $10 shipped for an HDMI cable (and even $10 is more than you need to spend).

My monoprice cable (less than $10 shipped) works just as well as anything the stores are trying to hawk for $50-100+.
Yup! I have 4 HDMI cables from Monoprice. All work just fine and I probably paid no more than $30 shipped for all 4.
Old 07-02-09, 02:41 PM

Here's a neat statistic - in England, in the first half of 2009, DVD dales fell 10% over the first half of 2008, while Blu-Ray surged more than 200%. However, this translated into sales of 3 million Blu-Ray disks and 99 million DVDs. Looks like lack of demand won't be the reason the new format wins, if it wins.

source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/07..._dvd_bd_sales/
Old 07-02-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big lots has HDMI cables for $5.
Old 07-02-09, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjashoes
Well now that more and more people are getting PS3's and more and more people have blu ray drives coming with the new computers that they are buying, it kinda seems dumb to get a movie on DVD that you can get on Blu Ray for 5 bucks more.

Blu Ray is slowly taking over, I remember a few months ago at the local Fred meyer there was maybe 20 Blu Ray titles, now there is double that.

Like someone else said if the movie is sorta rare/less popular then get it on DVD but if your talking the Matrix, Goodfellas, Bladerunner etc then get it on Blu Ray.
Most Blu-rays are not $5 more. And double of 20 is 40...
Old 07-03-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjashoes

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Most Blu-rays are not $5 more. And double of 20 is 40...

What Gizmo said. 40 titles isnt alot. My local FYE still only has one half of one side of an aisle for Blue. While having 5 or 6 and a half full aisles(both sides) for dvd. Blues isnt taking over by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 07-05-09, 10:15 AM

No...but in less than a year the blu-ray aisle will be double that size and the prices will be cheaper and more comparable to DVD. People just need to roll with it. Your DVDs will still play fine in your blu-ray player.
Old 07-05-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
What Gizmo said. 40 titles isnt alot. My local FYE still only has one half of one side of an aisle for Blue. While having 5 or 6 and a half full aisles(both sides) for dvd. Blues isnt taking over by any stretch of the imagination.
Originally Posted by Carcosa
No...but in less than a year the blu-ray aisle will be double that size and the prices will be cheaper and more comparable to DVD. People just need to roll with it. Your DVDs will still play fine in your blu-ray player.
Double the size is still only 80 titles or about 10% of the amount of DVD. Prices will have to drop by about half on the vast majority of titles that I have seen for them to be comparable to DVD.
Old 07-05-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The big adoption of blu will come when the blu players get as inexpensive as dvd players. While the blu-ray discs are dropping in price (sale or regular - with some being as cheap or cheaper than the same title on DVD), the players are the big inhibitor to folks adopting that format. Also, many HDTV owners have screens 37" or less (and as well many have 720p). With a very good DVD player and a good HDTV (even 720p), and depending on sitting distance, the visual upgrade to blu-ray is there but not as fantastic as those experience with larger screens. This makes the wow factor less of a motivation to spend $200 to $300 for a new player (and more on rentals, etc).
Old 07-06-09, 06:42 PM

DVD will get phased out some day, but I don't think it will be any time soon. The barriers to adoption are so much greater for Blu-ray. With DVD all you needed to do was buy a new player, now you need to buy a new TV and speakers and cables to benefit from the increased clarity. I've liked what I've seen but honestly I don't have the kind of money for the big Blu upgrade and especially now I don't think I'm alone.
Old 07-06-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

History is apparently repeating itself again with certain consumers. Ask the laserdisc collectors who clung to that format when dvd was introduced. Virtually all the dvds you see now will be treated the way people treat VHS tapes now, as worthless and disposable. There are exceptions of course but dvd buyers should start preparing now if they want to be ahead of the curve. Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store. Since all Blu-ray players also play dvd, stores will stop carrying low-margin dvd players as the BD players decline in price.
Old 07-06-09, 08:01 PM
Banned

^You are fucking insane if you are comparing DVD's to laserdisks.
DO you understand how many DVD's and DVD players are sold each month compared to laserdisk and even Blu-ray media and players?
Old 07-06-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store.
That will only happen when BD players hit $100 and stay there. Ain't gonna happen any time soon.
Old 07-06-09, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

History is apparently repeating itself again with certain consumers. Ask the laserdisc collectors who clung to that format when dvd was introduced. Virtually all the dvds you see now will be treated the way people treat VHS tapes now, as worthless and disposable. There are exceptions of course but dvd buyers should start preparing now if they want to be ahead of the curve. Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store. Since all Blu-ray players also play dvd, stores will stop carrying low-margin dvd players as the BD players decline in price.
Right... we heard the 12 month thing when HD DVD was over "now that all the studios are Blu its only a matter of time! By August..."

Not ever going to happen. DVD players will always be sold just like VHS players are today.
Old 07-06-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BasementArt
I wouldn't use that as an example. Severin has gone blu, and is starting to release new and older titles in BD. Inglourious Bastards and Eagles Over London will be first, and Hardware is coming in Sept.
Don't forget Screwballs!
Old 07-07-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store.
I'd like to have some of whatever you're drinking if you really believe this statement...you'd have to be intoxicated to think something as ubiquitous as a DVD player will be difficult to find at most retailers only a year from now...
Hell, you could still find VHS decks easily up until just a couple years ago, and that was after DVD had already been in the market for a decade....

Yes, BD players will play DVDs, and prices continue to fall, and cheaper options will appear soon, but there is no way that by July 2010 somehow BD players will have completely taken over the low end of the market and there will be Chinese-made $30 BD players for sale at Walgreens or CVS the way that standard DVD players are now....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.