DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What was the first TV DVD you bought? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/556542-what-first-tv-dvd-you-bought.html)

james2025a 06-18-09 08:00 AM

Re: What was the first TV DVD you bought?

I think the 1st TV dvd i bought was The Prisoner complete collection. Or it might have been the 1st season of Larry Sanders.

mike07 06-18-09 08:36 AM

I think my first TV DVD set was The Waltons Complete First Season for $25 ...now I'm sure it can be found for $15 or better.

jjcool 06-18-09 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9509776)
Same here. Pre-ordered it and after coupons, discounts, rebates, free shipping, etc. it cost about $5... on release day. :lol:

I miss those coupon days. Reel.com and dvdexpress and the like basically giving away dvds.

jjcool 06-18-09 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 9509866)
The first three South Park single disc releases (which were my second, third and fourth DVD). Had a pretty funny-looking collection going there, with just the Tomorrow Never Dies SE (silver cover) and the three South Parks.

Not to get off topic, but that Tomorrow Never Dies cover was awesome. So much better than the special edition cover.

Randy Miller III 06-18-09 09:07 AM

Probably The X-Files, Season 1. At the time, I was like "Holy shit! Seven discs!". I also had more free time back then, and probably blew through the whole thing in three or four days.

jjcool 06-18-09 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a (Post 9510735)
I remember the first two i bought at the same time and they were Blade and Payback. They had just come out and i had just picked up my first ever DVD player. It was awesome. I could not believe how good the thing was compared to crappy old tapes.

But what was the first TV DVD that you got?

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of X-files out there, me included. I'm trying to remember what else was an early TV on dvd candidate. Weren't the Star Trek TOS 2 episode discs pretty early?

milo bloom 06-18-09 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 9510843)
Not surprisingly, there are a lot of X-files out there, me included. I'm trying to remember what else was an early TV on dvd candidate. Weren't the Star Trek TOS 2 episode discs pretty early?

According to DVDAF, the first TOS single disc was released on 1999-08-17.

My criteria for getting into DVD was when either Star Trek or Star Wars was released. They announced the TOS single discs and I thought, "well, surely Star Wars will be right behind, so lets do this thing!". -rolleyes-

Anyways, I started collecting the TOS single discs one by one, and was about 2/3rd's done when they announced the season sets. Since I had so many, and the season sets were in airdate order as opposed to production order, I kept on with the single discs, and eventually picked up the last ten discs for $3 a piece. Yeah, it's a lot of discs, but I think it looks pretty impressive on my shelf.

jjcool 06-18-09 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 9510888)
According to DVDAF, the first TOS single disc was released on 1999-08-17.

My criteria for getting into DVD was when either Star Trek or Star Wars was released. They announced the TOS single discs and I thought, "well, surely Star Wars will be right behind, so lets do this thing!". -rolleyes-

Heehee. Can't tell you how many people would ask for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, among others, in the early days.

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 9510888)
Anyways, I started collecting the TOS single discs one by one, and was about 2/3rd's done when they announced the season sets. Since I had so many, and the season sets were in airdate order as opposed to production order, I kept on with the single discs, and eventually picked up the last ten discs for $3 a piece. Yeah, it's a lot of discs, but I think it looks pretty impressive on my shelf.

I bet that looks awesome. I got the first season of TNG when it first came out, but couldnt justify spending that much on each subsequent season. Probably why I didnt finsih the X-Files collection until the cheaper sets came out. I am slowly now completing the TNG series, and ultimately I want to get all of the series'. On the cheap, of course.

bi0hzrd51 06-18-09 10:10 AM

CSI: Season 1

toddly6666 06-18-09 10:48 AM

One of those early South Park DVDs with about 4 episodes...

milo bloom 06-18-09 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 9510897)
Heehee. Can't tell you how many people would ask for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, among others, in the early days.

Oh, I was lurking on the forums from just about the beginning. I didn't even care about the quality or extras, I just wanted something that didn't wear out like VHS.

I bet that looks awesome. I got the first season of TNG when it first came out, but couldnt justify spending that much on each subsequent season. Probably why I didnt finsih the X-Files collection until the cheaper sets came out. I am slowly now completing the TNG series, and ultimately I want to get all of the series'. On the cheap, of course.
It's pretty nice, though I've considered doing one of those custom cover jobs that people have made, that make the murals with the spines. I don't have any TNG, DS9 or VOY, (because of both price and packaging), and I have the Animated Series and Season 4 of Enterprise (with Connor Trinnear's autograph on the exterior case). And most of the movies (no Insurrection, just haven't gotten around to picking it up).

Arthur Dent 06-18-09 11:33 AM

I have my DVD Spot back-up available...

Simpsons: Season 1

I remember buying that at Target.

jjcool 06-18-09 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 9511108)
It's pretty nice, though I've considered doing one of those custom cover jobs that people have made, that make the murals with the spines. I don't have any TNG, DS9 or VOY, (because of both price and packaging), and I have the Animated Series and Season 4 of Enterprise (with Connor Trinnear's autograph on the exterior case). And most of the movies (no Insurrection, just haven't gotten around to picking it up).

Yeah. Ric Easton has some cool looking cover sets. I'm using the Ships of the Line collection.

Travis McClain 06-18-09 12:03 PM

Either Batman: The Animated Series - Volume One or The Sopranos - The Complete First Season. I think. Although, it may have been Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Volume One. I didn't really get into TV on DVD until a couple years ago.

DeanoBKN 06-18-09 12:08 PM

Before season sets, South Park released a couple episodes in volume packs. I think #2and #3 were my first 2 bought.

tommykb127 06-18-09 12:17 PM

The Simpsons Season One

hitman tommy 06-18-09 10:52 PM

I think it would have been Buffy Season 1

Bluth54 06-18-09 11:08 PM

I honestly can't remember. I can remember the first DVD I bought but I have no idea what the first TV show I bought was.
I guess I fail. :(

woody5254 06-19-09 08:16 AM

Oz Season 1. I stayed away from TV for the longest time, as I have a big enough wish list without them. Now I have an even bigger wish list:)

Nizzi 06-19-09 12:21 PM

Dark Angel Season 1 sometime in December 2004

smashthesymbols 06-19-09 01:44 PM

The Simpsons Season One for me. Can't recall if it was exactly on release day, but it was definitely within the first week of release.

Barry Woodward 06-19-09 04:44 PM

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Season 1

Canuck21 06-21-09 07:39 PM

The X-Files Season 1 at around 120.00 CAD. I bought all 9 seasons before the cheaper sets came out.

critterdvd 06-21-09 09:22 PM

Picked up both "Buffy Season 1" and "Simpsons Season 1" on the same day...

MTRodaba2468 06-21-09 09:28 PM

I didn't know off the top of my head, actually.

Looking it up, I'd have to say Clerks: Uncensored (The Animated Series).