Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What Exactly Is A Blind Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Exactly Is A Blind Buy?

So I know it's buying a fillm that you've never heard of but would it also be buying a movie you've never seen but you have heard of/seen trailer?
Old 04-21-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: What Exactly Is A Blind Buy?

I'd say so.
Old 04-21-09, 05:06 PM

Yeah that's still a blind buy IMO....
Old 04-21-09, 05:07 PM

thanks. I did a search and have a better idea now
Old 04-21-09, 05:16 PM

Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The refs from the super Bowl with Steelers and Seahawks and that guy from Roadhouse come to mind.
Old 04-21-09, 05:17 PM

Sorry, I thought it said "what exactly is a blind guy?"
Old 04-21-09, 05:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

from wikipedia...

1. it's when you go into a retail store, with a friend or loved one, they blindfold you and bring you to the DVD section.

2. you then rove around the aisles and pick out one DVD. while still blindfolded, you then give the friend or loved one the money to buy it.

3. take it home and watch it.
Old 04-21-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
from wikipedia...

1. it's when you go into a retail store, with a friend or loved one, they blindfold you and bring you to the DVD section.

2. you then rove around the aisles and pick out one DVD. while still blindfolded, you then give the friend or loved one the money to buy it.

3. take it home and watch it blindfolded.
fixed...I also think that once the movie ends you're meant to get shot execution style, but that's only certain countries.
Old 04-22-09, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from wikipedia...

meh, number 3 isnt necessary for a blind buy - who said anything about watching it
Old 04-22-09, 06:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by hindolio
meh, number 3 isnt necessary for a blind buy - who said anything about watching it
People here watch their DVDs? Who has the time? I'm too busy shopping for them, organizing them, and talking about them.

Spoiler:
Seriously though, that was almost true of me for a few years, but now I'm finally watching them.
Old 04-22-09, 07:08 AM

This raises a interesting* question about TV shows. If you've seen an episode or two (or parts of an episode) and buy the season, is it a blind buy?

How about if you've seen all of season 1, but buy season 2 without seeing any episodes?

What if you've seen random episodes here and there of a classic show (like Dick Van Dyke or The Twilight Zone), but buy the complete series on DVD?

*Ok, "interesting" might be stretching it...
Old 04-22-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I think you could argue that buying S2 is a blind buy if you haven't seen any of it, but I don't think you have to watch the entire season to not call it a blind buy.
Odds are if you've seen "random episodes here and there", and you like them, you'll probably like many of the others.
Old 04-22-09, 07:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

With TV series, I think I'd call it a blind buy if you've only seen 1 or 2 episodes of a season (20 plus episode length).

Also non-interestingly, most of my TV on DVD buying habits have shifted into blind buy territory. Once TV on DVD became a big deal, I pretty much stopped watching TV. I'll catch an episode or two to see if I like a series, but then wait to watch it until the DVDs are released.

I just don't enjoy waiting for episodes anymore. I much prefer watching an entire season over the course of a week or two.

There are a few exceptions of course. I watch Psych and House almost every week, and rarely missed an Arrested Development.
Old 04-22-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscott
This raises a interesting* question about TV shows. If you've seen an episode or two (or parts of an episode) and buy the season, is it a blind buy?

How about if you've seen all of season 1, but buy season 2 without seeing any episodes?

What if you've seen random episodes here and there of a classic show (like Dick Van Dyke or The Twilight Zone), but buy the complete series on DVD?

*Ok, "interesting" might be stretching it...
I don't think any of those examples describes a blind buy. A blind buy is when you purchase something with very little or no knowledge of that movie/show. If you've seen a couple episodes you already know what to expect from the series.

I don't even consider my purchase of The X-Files series a blind buy, even though I had never seen a single episode prior to purchase. I had heard a lot about the show, I knew some basic storylines, and I knew the names of the main characters. So with all this prior knowledge of a show I had never seen, I didn't consider it buying into something blindly.
Old 04-22-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 04-22-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from wikipedia...

I wish I'd read this before I tried the pointy stick method.
Old 04-22-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kbarkerok
Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The refs from the super Bowl with Steelers and Seahawks and that guy from Roadhouse come to mind.

And that guy from Roadhouse is the late great Jeff Healey..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZsR382Cwk
Old 04-22-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
most of my TV on DVD buying habits have shifted into blind buy territory.
Same here.
Old 04-22-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I never really got into the blind buy territory. Every once in a while, but it isnt very common for me. In my opinion, a blid buy is buying something without seeing it first. Most of my blind buys have been from word of mouth, and I have only been burned once so far.
Old 04-22-09, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by civiclx
So I know it's buying a fillm that you've never heard of but would it also be buying a movie you've never seen but you have heard of/seen trailer?
Wouldn't that be a deaf buy?
Old 04-22-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

How did this question get so many answers, all while keeping the snark percentage manageable?

I'd call a blind buy the purchase you make based on everyone telling you the movie is 'great' but not telling you much about it. Once is a good example, everyone just said it was awesome, and maybe that it was about two musicians who fall in love.

In other words, it's the movie about which people say "just see it, you'll love it," without wanting to give away anything about it.
Old 04-22-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
I never really got into the blind buy territory. Every once in a while, but it isnt very common for me. In my opinion, a blid buy is buying something without seeing it first. Most of my blind buys have been from word of mouth, and I have only been burned once so far.
I used to hardly ever make blind buys, way back in the early days (aka 2000-2001) of my DVD collecting....I thought I was only going to be buying movies that I had seen and knew I liked and wanted to watch again...
With the rising cost of tickets at the theater however, I now blind buy a whole lot more....I mean, going to see a movie in the theater is basically a "blind buy", but once it is over all you have left is a memory and a ticket stub, while your wallet is now at least $15-20 lighter (I am married, hence the cost of two tickets)....
Nowadays, I'd much rather wait on 90% of the movies I want to see to come out on Blu-ray, and pay a couple bucks more to watch it at home....then, if I hate the film, I can recoup some costs by selling it off or trading it in...though WAY more often than not I end up liking it and keeping it...
Old 04-22-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of my DVDs are blind buys. DVD is how I learn about film.
Old 04-23-09, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
People here watch their DVDs? Who has the time? I'm too busy shopping for them, organizing them, and talking about them.
Why, just the other night I was looking over 20 or so of my newest (still sealed) films, trying to decide on which one to watch. After about a minute, I said, "Meh," and came here to look for more sales instead.

I'll do a blind buy if certain actors are in the film, but will rarely just grab a totally unknown film without at least going and checking the user rating on IMDb and reading a brief synopsis.
Old 04-24-09, 04:19 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always thought as a blind buy, at least as it pertains to movies, as simply purchasing a movie I haven't already seen, as opposed to seeing it at the theater or renting it first. This is regardless of what other information I know about the movie beforehand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.