Reload this Page >

Disney to release "Snow White and the 7 Dwarves" 7 WEEKS later on DVD then BD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-03-09, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has announced that the upcoming Platinum Edition Blu-ray release of 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs', which is due to hit store shelves on October 6th, will precede the DVD release by seven weeks. Those DVD fans who don't wish to wait until November 24th will be happy to hear that the Blu-ray release will include the DVD version as well, so you get both formats in one release!

Bob Chapek, president of Disney, commented that the Blu-ray/DVD combo format would provide owners "another opportunity to maximize their viewing options. With today's technological breakthroughs found in Blu-ray, we are confident that this version of 'Snow White' will easily become the reference point for high-definition home entertainment libraries and family collections all over the world."

When initially released on DVD in 2001, 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' became the first Disney animated classic to sell 1 Million copies in a single day. Hopes are high at the house of mouse that a similar record will be witnessed with this new Platnium release, except this time on the Blu-ray format.

The new release will feature several all-new bonus features that weren't included on the 2001 release.
Old 04-03-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disney to release "Snow White and the 7 Dwarves" 7 WEEKS later on DVD then BD

This is dumb.

Also, wasn't the prior release also called a "Platinum Edition"? This is just a new and improved Platinum Edition?
Old 04-03-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Disney to release "Snow White and the 7 Dwarves" 7 WEEKS later on DVD then BD

Except the DVD preceded the Blu-ray by eight years.
Old 04-03-09, 10:05 AM

"Sleeping Beauty" may be the most gorgeous picture I have seen on blu-ray so far (AMAZING audio as well), and "Pinocchio" was right there too with the quality...coupled with how fantastic the 2001 print of "Snow White" looked on DVD, I bet this title is going to set a new standard. I hope they go crazy on the audio too. I LOVE when engineers remix a soundtrack into 5.1. If done well, it can really elevate a movie to a new level. Walt Disney HV is really setting the standard for what a blu-ray can look and sound like...I think this is kinda cool that us blu-ray owners get a little something special for a change...considering the blu-rays are still considerably more expensive than standard DVD's....now let's bring on "The Black Hole" on blu-ray!!

Last edited by andy1992; 04-03-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
Except the DVD preceded the Blu-ray by eight years.
Which is out of print, not available in stores anymore & demands a fairly high price on eBay.
Old 04-03-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So I should sell mine?
Old 04-03-09, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
So I should sell mine?
Yes - if the market for them has not dropped yet because of the re-release. That's how all these old Disney "Classics" work.
Old 04-03-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Which is out of print, not available in stores anymore & demands a fairly high price on eBay.
Not for some time. Now they're only selling for around the price when it came out. The time to sell was years ago.
Old 04-03-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Not for some time. Now they're only selling for around the price when it came out. The time to sell was years ago.
Yup they typically go for 20 to 25 bucks. I remember 3 to 4 years ago when these would go for 50 bucks or higher.
Old 04-03-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

So if the blue ray version comes out 7 weeks before the dvd version, but the blue ray includes the dvd version, as the posting states, why would anyone wait for the dvd version by itself? It is going to be cheaper, i know, but is the dvd only release going to be two discs whereas the dvd in the blue ray is only one disc?
Old 04-03-09, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjcool
So if the blue ray version comes out 7 weeks before the dvd version, but the blue ray includes the dvd version, as the posting states, why would anyone wait for the dvd version by itself? It is going to be cheaper, i know, but is the dvd only release going to be two discs whereas the dvd in the blue ray is only one disc?
Aside from being $10 more expensive the DVD will not include all the Special Features.
Old 04-03-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if the blue ray version comes out 7 weeks before the dvd version, but the blue ray includes the dvd version, as the posting states, why would anyone wait for the dvd version by itself?
Exactly.
Old 04-03-09, 12:21 PM

Exactly is what Disney wants. Buy Blu-Ray!

James
Old 04-03-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will wait for the DVD version by itself because I like Special Features, I don't have Blu-Ray, and the Blu-Ray version does not include the special features on DVD.
Old 04-03-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Aside from being $10 more expensive the DVD will not include all the Special Features.
so the blue ray with the dvd will be $10 more expensive, but the dvd in there wont have all the special features of the dvd being released 7 weeks later.
Old 04-03-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kory
I will wait for the DVD version by itself because I like Special Features, I don't have Blu-Ray, and the Blu-Ray version does not include the special features on DVD.
Exactly.
Old 04-03-09, 12:58 PM
Suspended

so the blue ray with the dvd will be $10 more expensive, but the dvd in there wont have all the special features of the dvd being released 7 weeks later.
Correct - just like Pinocchio. With no DVD available for purchase the retailers are free to charge as much as possible for Snow White on Blu-ray.
Old 04-03-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"than"

"DVD then BD" has a totally reverse meaning to what you meant.
Old 04-03-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Correct - just like Pinocchio. With no DVD available for purchase the retailers are free to charge as much as possible for Snow White on Blu-ray.
We'll see.
Old 04-03-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

"Sleeping Beauty" may be the most gorgeous picture I have seen on blu-ray so far (AMAZING audio as well), and "Pinocchio" was right there too with the quality...coupled with how fantastic the 2001 print of "Snow White" looked on DVD, I bet this title is going to set a new standard. I hope they go crazy on the audio too. I LOVE when engineers remix a soundtrack into 5.1. If done well, it can really elevate a movie to a new level. Walt Disney HV is really setting the standard for what a blu-ray can look and sound like.

are you on the Disney payroll?
Old 04-03-09, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmj713
"than"

"DVD then BD" has a totally reverse meaning to what you meant.
I posted at 8am so sorry. I'll be watching you like a hawk now with my red marker...
Old 04-03-09, 06:30 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The resale price on many of the oop Disney DVD's has been severely hurt by Asian bootlegs.
Old 04-03-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

"Dwarves"

I've had the previous release on marketplace for awhile now and no takers.
Guess I'll buy the blu ray when it comes out.
Old 04-04-09, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted at 8am so sorry.
You almost always use "then" when it should be "than."
Old 04-04-09, 09:47 AM

Yes, it appears that Disney is going full throttle in its support for BD. If I remember, Disney's initial DVD releases of animated features left a lot to be desired. They were on the higher end of the spectrum in price and had zero extras. The BD releases seem to show they have learned a great deal in recent years. Instead of including the useless digital copy that other studios give out, they give you a DVD copy as well. I suspect there a quite a few people who will buy the BD even though they don't have a player...yet. Pretty shrewd marketing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.