Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Why DVD's Better Than Blu-ray" (IGN.DVD article.)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Why DVD's Better Than Blu-ray" (IGN.DVD article.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: quoting fun

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll have to check it out. Am I correct to assume that this 10% are home video aficionados, much more likely to know about and want HD media? I don't quite understand how studios care more for a 10% group and not for the overall numbers. It still seems to me that the general public, even ones with HDTVs, are going to prefer DVDs until the price, portability, and selection are closer to DVD.
Yes, the logic behind it (from the majors' point of view) is: If the DVD market is driven by approximately 10% of active content consumers, then you are looking to retain a portion of that number for Blu-ray. If you do so (and sales charts certainly indicate that growth is consistent) then you could refocus on penetrating the rest of the market. This is the point Mr. Kornblau made.

General question to anyone: What are the current DVD vs BD numbers? Is there an unbiased site that shows the sales data in units?
Home Theater Magazine still publish their charts.

No, I think I did understand and agree with you. I was just making a tangential point that there are still a lot of people here clueless about OAR.
I see.

I remember all that, just trying to stick to my main "argument", and don't see the relevance of those details. My opinion, and that of most I talked to (friends and shoppers) back in that day of VHS vs DVD, was that price, size, and durability were just as important as the improved quality. Remember the crazy low prices we were all averaging back then, with the Reel coupons, BFL rebates, etc?
Absolutely. I do remember (800.com; Reel.com). Again, though, you don't build a mass market overnight. You also have to understand that balanced transition is what the studios are looking for. I am unsure how easy it is to accomplish it in these difficult economic times, but the fact that revenue from BD continues to increase while revenue from DVD continues to decrease should make two things clear to you: DVD business is rapidly declining (hence the reason why you see so many smaller companies go belly-up) and the market is already in a restructuring mode (BD/DVD/VOD/traditional rentals, non-traditional rentals, etc). And, in case it isn't clear, VOD/streaming isn't a viable fraction of it.

Also, most would argue that the quality improvement from VHS to DVD was much greater than DVD to BD. Right?
Yes, you are correct. But this isn't the same market - while there are plenty of similarities that many have rightfully brought up in the past when DVD was compared to BD, there are different factors that drive BD growth nowadays. With other words, what you thought was key in terms of quality for DVD (let's assume OAR and portability) isn't an issue for BD, or not yet (at least in 99.99% of the cases) and people have a completely different perception about quality. I believe that in a couple of years the picture would be even more extreme (best example: consumers' cry over Warner's audio treatments not too long ago, which in fact you don't believe is what motivates most people to upgrade to BD).

But even I'm wrong on all that, and pricing was not a factor back then, how does that apply to now? Whenever I talk to anyone in the general public about blu ray, the first thing they want to talk about is price. You have to agree that price is the number #1 factor right now, right?
How does it apply? The simple answer is: it eliminates unrealistic expectations (and since you have been involved with CH for many years then you surely know what I mean). The longer answer is: in the Variety article

I hope you're right. I'm all for physical media.
Fear not! Physical media will be here for a very, very, very long time.

No, my $5 and $10 numbers were for all titles, for bargain shoppers. Using deals found here one should easily average $5 for any SD and $10 for any BD . We of course use CH for much of it, combined with coupons and loss leaders, etc, occasionally having to wait a month or two before buying a new release. For the general public, the prices are about $16 for a new release SD, and $26 for BD, right? $10 per title seems like a lot to me.
I understand. But you know what, your observation implies to just about every business you could think of. If you are a bargain shopper then the general public really isn't something you should bother with, nor those who cater to it. I also, understand what you are saying about the 10$ difference but this is how the majors introduced DVD as a mass format to the public - gradually lowering the prices as the market expands. I would agree with you that they did not have a DVD-like competitor at the time when the transition occurred and things are a bit more complicated at the moment, but the pricing scheme they bet on in the past worked. It is working with BD as well now, though not as fast as some people would have liked.

You too. Thanks for the always interesting and informative reply. I know that I can always count on you to disagree with everything I write.
You are very welcome Will talk to you soon.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-22-09 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-22-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,838 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Re: "Why DVD's Better Than Blu-ray" (IGN.DVD article.)

If they'd titled the article "Why DVD's still acceptable for many consumers, compared to Blu-ray" we'd have avoided this whole brouhaha once again! (But they wouldn't have gotten as much traffic.)
Old 03-22-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The better A/V quality for me makes the film more immersive.

And I agree. I am not surprised that in a tough economy people don't care about upgrading. It's the people who are actively against what is nothing more than an improved technology that get to me. It's just a disc format that allows films to be watched in HD. If you can live without it, live without it. If you can't, you can't. And if you want to live without it but there are things you want to get, tough. You just have to make a decision. There are only two options: own a Blu-Ray player or don't, and there won't be any more options within the foreseeable future.
Old 03-23-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
It's the people who are actively against what is nothing more than an improved technology that get to me.
The ones I find the worst are the ones that are super pro-blu ray and come down on people that don't care enough to upgrade. They'll find a reason why the person doesn't want to upgrade and try to clear up the misconception then not get that the person just doesn't care because at this time, they don't feel the need to upgrade.

It's like getting into a debate with a car salesman who's followed you to a grocery store. He just doesn't get that not everyone wants to buy a new and improved car from him because the old one is just fine for now.
Old 03-23-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Oh yeah IGN? Well the movie theater is better than both!
Old 03-23-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie theater... gotta disagree there
Old 03-23-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77

It's Cheaper Than Blu-ray
With cut-rate BD players going for $199, the article has a point. Once name brand players are $1XX, then more people will join in.

Software prices are too high but have improved from a year ago.

Mo' Technology, Mo' Problems
Not very relevant. A BD player can replace a DVD player and more than likely be a reason to use HDMI, which actually makes things easier.

You Already Own A Ton of DVDs
Not very relevant as this would be a discussion of purchases going forward. The existing collection is a sunk cost.

Up-Conversation Really Works

You Can't Get That on Blu-ray
A valid reason to keep existing DVDs, but not a valid reason to keep from upgrading DVDs where this isn't the case (i.e. most new releases).

Blu-ray is A Stop-Gap

A valid reason, although BD is going to be a decade-long stopgap for some people. (For others, movies on demand arrived years ago).

Overall, as a value proposition, DVD still has a slight edge. But this "article" is shit.
Old 03-23-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
I can't help but think people are kidding themselves. I've done comparison tests myself and the difference between dvd and bd is immense. I wonder how many gentlemen who can't tell the difference between the two suffer from poor
eyesight. The other option is that they're just delusional. :/
Originally Posted by beebs
Your post is very dismissive. I hate to pull the screen size/distance card but it's very true. It doesn't take a blind person to see little or just a tiny difference between BR and SD DVD on 32"-37" at very common 6-8' seating distances. We sit close to my 42", and it's apparent to me what is HD, but SD DVD is extremely pleasing and more than "good enough"
Originally Posted by professional bass
Your post is very dismissive as well. The fact that SDVD looks pleasing on your 42' screen, to you, does not validate your "good enough" stance in the eyes of others who see an enormous difference. And since BD's superiority over SDVD isn't only limited to video, your rebuttal is even more flawed. The type of experience BD offers is vastly superior to SDVD.
Pro-B you are one-trick pony and more slippery than a greased pig. I enjoy your turning my response to someone else into your usual overly zealous, blu-tongued BR-can-do-no-wrong diatribe. Well played, sir. Happy to oblige.

You bring non-image quality in when I was responding to a post that was about image quality. I won't repeat my contention, it's valid and stands.
Old 03-23-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Money is the main factor for me. I was one of those people who couldn't afford laserdisc 20 plus years ago. I would read about how much better it looked than video and about the extra features and drool. I jumped into DVD fairly quickly about 18 months after its debut.

With that said, I just don't see the point of Blu-ray right now. The best TV in my house is a 32 inch 720p. My surroundsound (on a 60 inch rear projection TV) is 5.1. I am not going to be able to afford a nice TV and surround sound anytime soon.
Old 03-23-09, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
I agree with pretty much everything there.

I'm not against BD per se' but I'll never invest in it.

The main thing that decided it for me was seeing BD on a 1080p set. It looked pretty good. It didn't blow me away though.

My personal opinion, and it's just that, is that BD is a small incremental step up from standard DVD, which doesn't really warrant me laying out the cash for it.

Say what you will about upconverting but it works great for me and looks fantastic. Honestly I have seen upconverted standard DVDs look better than Blu-Ray discs before. It's a case by case basis, sure, but that's just been my experience.

Again, to the Blu-Ray supporters, I'm not downing your beloved format at all. It's just not for me and I think that IGN article states the case perfectly.

I agree. I compared and realized the difference was SO small that it was negligible on my 55" HDTV. I've never looked at a Blu-Ray version of a film and been blown away or even moved to remark on the difference in quality. In my humble opinion, upconverted DVDs look incredible (at least on my TV) and are so close in quality to BD as to make the extra cost unreasonable.
uh...what??

You talk as if upconverted dvd is such a huge leap..honestly progressive scan dvd players from 2001 are just as good, maybe even better. My panasonic rp82 player in 480p gave me better pq than my ps3's 1080p "upconversion".

And then you state that BD's difference over standard DVD is "negligible"????

*mind blown*
Old 03-23-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by beebs
Pro-B you are one-trick pony and more slippery than a greased pig. I enjoy your turning my response to someone else into your usual overly zealous, blu-tongued BR-can-do-no-wrong diatribe. Well played, sir. Happy to oblige.

You bring non-image quality in when I was responding to a post that was about image quality. I won't repeat my contention, it's valid and stands.
There is absolutely nothing tricky in agreeing with the statement that in terms of video BD is vastly superior to DVD, even on the tiny size screen which you mention. If there is a study you wish to cite that directly disproves what is argued, and that somehow your home experience is related to it, then by all means please feel free to link it. Otherwise, your SD DVD is extremely pleasing and "good enough" clarification is as greasy as my addition that the type of experience BD offers is vastly superior to SDVD.

With other words, your rebuttal is just as subjective and dismissive as I initially noted.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-23-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love how all the condescending snobs who have the "I have a better home theater system than you" complex (which stops being cool after high school, may as well flaunt "my daddy makes more than yours" too) because someone writes an article saying why one may not feel compelled to make this transfer when we're in an era where unemployment is highest than it's been in years and many people are having to take pay cuts because the economy is in the toilet.
Old 03-23-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to break out the bad news for the IGN folks, but compare a DVD of a movie up-converted to 1080p with an upconverting player versus the Blu-ray version of the same movie. The best example of this: Disney/Pixar's Cars.

If you have a 50" or bigger display screen, one thing immediately jumps out on the Blu-ray version: the awesome clarity of the backgrounds. In Cars, you can easily see every tiny detail of the decals on the cars, and in large crowd scenes you can see the details of the "crowd" of cars in the stands quite easily.

Besides, the cost of Blu-ray players have dropped lately; you can soon get a full Profile 2.0 (BD-Live) player for under US$200, and it could be as cheap as US$175 by this fall.
Old 03-23-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The ones I find the worst are the ones that are super pro-blu ray and come down on people that don't care enough to upgrade. They'll find a reason why the person doesn't want to upgrade and try to clear up the misconception then not get that the person just doesn't care because at this time, they don't feel the need to upgrade.

It's like getting into a debate with a car salesman who's followed you to a grocery store. He just doesn't get that not everyone wants to buy a new and improved car from him because the old one is just fine for now.
Well, for the record, we're people on a message board responding to a thread. Both sides of the argument have a tendency to jump the gun. The existence of the IGN article isn't necessarily thumbing its nose at Blu-Ray owners, and just because Blu-Ray owners post a response to the article in this thread doesn't mean they're "coming down" on those who like SD-DVD.

In any case, there are literally no reasons to choose either SD or HD aside from personal preference. People can describe their own reasons for choosing one or the other, but in the end, it's still up to one person: you.
Old 03-23-09, 06:59 PM

What gets me is the people who claim that they don't care enough for the visual improvement of BD, but then rave about how amazing upconverted DVD looks.

upconverted dvd vs. 480 dvd

upconverted dvd vs. BD

Honestly, can anyone say that the first one is a bigger leap? You are kidding yourself if you do.
Old 03-23-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Since you keep bringing it up, you should know that 28 Days Later was shot on a SD camcorder so if the footage is crap, there is only so much you can get out of it. Yet you also fail to mention the lossless DTS-MA track that it has which completely blows away the lossy track on the dvd. Any other examples you have in mind?
Yes, I have more, but it isn't necessary. Bringing up "28 Days Later" supports the previous claim by An4h0ny that the significant difference in picture quality between BD and SD is that "it depends". It depends upon the particular film in question.

You and others dismissed him for being ignorant. I provided an example of where the image quality of the two are nearly indistinguishable.

The difference in video quality between the BD and DVD versions of 2001: A Space Odyssey are amazing. The difference for 28 Days Later... non-existent.

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I understand that some people feel the need to bash hi-def since they think it devalues their dvds or something.
And perhaps you feel the need to defend your hi-def purchases. Because after all, if people don't agree with you that every BD title is drop-dead-gorgeously better than DVD then it will appear that you wasted your money. (see, I can turn the tables too)

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Is Blu-ray only about improved picture quality?
Pro-B
It certainly seems to be the top issue by those who are defending Blu-ray in this thread. If you read my post in the context of this thread then you would have seen that I was responding to the claim that BD is ALWAYS better than DVD (except when insufficient hardware is used).
Old 03-23-09, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sracer
Yes, I have more, but it isn't necessary. Bringing up "28 Days Later" supports the previous claim by An4h0ny that the significant difference in picture quality between BD and SD is that "it depends". It depends upon the particular film in question.
Do you even realize why 28 Days Later was filmed with an SD camcorder??

Seriously that movie is a terrible example to support your position. Even a future format superior to BD probably won't improve the PQ of a movie that is supposed to look blurry. I can't believe you keep bringing it up. So please, do bring up these "more" examples you have.

By your logic, you can downplay the pq of DVD by pointing out how the DVD of 28 Days Later doesn't look much better than the VHS.

Last edited by wd65733; 03-23-09 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 07:59 PM

And perhaps you feel the need to defend your hi-def purchases. Because after all, if people don't agree with you that every BD title is drop-dead-gorgeously better than DVD then it will appear that you wasted your money. (see, I can turn the tables too)
Not really. Most people made reached the conclusion that BD has much better PQ BEFORE purchasing their BD player by seeing it in action first, which is why they purchased one to begin with.
Old 03-23-09, 08:04 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by wd65733
What gets me is the people who claim that they don't care enough for the visual improvement of BD, but then rave about how amazing upconverted DVD looks.

upconverted dvd vs. 480 dvd

upconverted dvd vs. BD

Honestly, can anyone say that the first one is a bigger leap? You are kidding yourself if you do.
Ok, now that is downright condescending. What looks "better", and what is a "bigger leap" are subjective terms. Trying to make people feel dumb because they don't agree with you is simply not necessary.

And I'll pick up what you threw down here: I bought a 65" HDTV to replace our old 32" CRT about 2 years ago. We sat down to watch Oklahoma! (2-disc SE) on it with our Sony progressive-scan DVD player, and turned it off after about 30 minutes. I changed every setting I could, but the picture (480) was simply awful. My wife started talking about returning it, even. I did some research, took a chance and ordered an Oppo 1080i upconvert DVD player. We sat down and watched the same movie - and we couldn't take our eyes off of it, the movie was so incredibly beautiful, and the detail was amazing! We loved it, and could not believe the difference.

Jump forward a year - we decide to try Blu. We upgraded a couple of our Pixar movies and tried it out. Simply put, we haven't noticed a big enough difference to make us "BD fans". We tried two different players (and a BD drive on my 1080p HTPC), and my friend brought over his PS3 & movies - still not that big of a deal to us. Don't get me wrong, BluRay is awesome; but it is rarely worth the extra money to us, to get the HD disc.

So... maybe "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" should be taken here?
Old 03-23-09, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alterator
I bought a 65" HDTV to replace our old 32" CRT about 2 years ago. We sat down to watch Oklahoma! (2-disc SE) on it with our Sony progressive-scan DVD player, and turned it off after about 30 minutes. I changed every setting I could, but the picture (480) was simply awful. My wife started talking about returning it, even.
Who knows...maybe that Sony dvd player was defective if it's as horrible as you describe.

And I never said that all progressive scan players are as good as upconverting players.

I just know that my progressive scan player from 8 years ago, the panasonic RP82, gives as good PQ as the PS3's upconverting(and the PS3 is a pretty good upconverter).

I did some research, took a chance and ordered an Oppo 1080i upconvert DVD player. We sat down and watched the same movie - and we couldn't take our eyes off of it, the movie was so incredibly beautiful, and the detail was amazing! We loved it, and could not believe the difference.

Jump forward a year - we decide to try Blu. We upgraded a couple of our Pixar movies and tried it out. Simply put, we haven't noticed a big enough difference to make us "BD fans". We tried two different players (and a BD drive on my 1080p HTPC), and my friend brought over his PS3 & movies - still not that big of a deal to us. Don't get me wrong, BluRay is awesome; but it is rarely worth the extra money to us, to get the HD disc.
Sorry, but I just find this hard to believe that you can be so amazed at the difference between the same DVD being played at 480p vs. upscaled...

and yet not see a good enough improvement from that to a good bluray disc.

The improved color alone should be obvious at first glance.

So... maybe "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" should be taken here?
Only if you're willing to admit that it's fair for people to claim that they don't see a noticeable improvement from VHS to DVD.

Your story is a little hard to believe.

Even SD television doesn't look as terrible as what you describe
Old 03-23-09, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you even realize why 28 Days Later was filmed with an SD camcorder??

Seriously that movie is a terrible example to support your position. Even a future format superior to BD probably won't improve the PQ of a movie that is supposed to look blurry. I can't believe you keep bringing it up. So please, do bring up these "more" examples you have.

By your logic, you can downplay the pq of DVD by pointing out how the DVD of 28 Days Later doesn't look much better than the VHS.
Of course I know about how 28 Days Later was filmed. And for the previous consumer media generation the original release of Highlander on DVD was WORSE than its VHS release. The point is that the technical capabilities only tell one part of the story. If you want to focus on pure stats, fine... there are also many who look at the raw specs of a PC to gauge its superiority to a task.... or focus on the megapixel count on digital cameras.

However, I and a few others don't focus on the theoretical ultimate. I'm about the practical.... about what is actually produced.

When I make a purchase decision on a title, I don't blindly buy the Blu-ray version. I compare and contrast the version that is available on Blu-ray vs what is available on DVD. But it does require a bit more thought than simply always buying the Blu-Ray version.
Old 03-23-09, 10:30 PM

Of course I know about how 28 Days Later was filmed. And for the previous consumer media generation the original release of Highlander on DVD was WORSE than its VHS release. The point is that the technical capabilities only tell one part of the story. If you want to focus on pure stats, fine... there are also many who look at the raw specs of a PC to gauge its superiority to a task.... or focus on the megapixel count on digital cameras.

However, I and a few others don't focus on the theoretical ultimate. I'm about the practical.... about what is actually produced.

When I make a purchase decision on a title, I don't blindly buy the Blu-ray version. I compare and contrast the version that is available on Blu-ray vs what is available on DVD. But it does require a bit more thought than simply always buying the Blu-Ray version.
Well then that obviously has nothing to do with the capability of BD over DVD.

A few rare exceptions like 28 Days Later are not enough to conclude that BD's superior IQ over DVD just "depends" on the title.

That's like saying ps3 having superior graphics over ps2 "depends" on the games being compared. The cases where ps2 games can compare visually to ps3 games are so rare that it's not even worth thinking about.
Old 03-23-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/963/963916p1.html

Sure, you'll have the classicists who still collect their old LPs (or, ahem, standard-def DVDs), but Blu-ray is going to fall by the wayside when high-definition downloads become fully available and affordable.
Eh I'm not reading the whole thing, but this caught my eye. the "classicists" will be collecting Blu-ray IMO.
Old 03-23-09, 11:10 PM
Cool New Member

I just know that my progressive scan player from 8 years ago, the panasonic RP82, gives as good PQ as the PS3's upconverting(and the PS3 is a pretty good upconverter).
Ok, see, here's the thing: you say that upscaled 1080P DVDs and native 1080P Blurays are so different... but an 8-year-old 480i player is as good as new-technology upscaling 1080i player?

Do you understand what you just wrote?

Forget it, never mind. You win. Bluray rules. Upscaling DVD players are the biggest ripoff since the pet rock. I'm going now.
Old 03-23-09, 11:20 PM

Sorry, but I just find this hard to believe that you can be so amazed at the difference between the same DVD being played at 480p vs. upscaled...

and yet not see a good enough improvement from that to a good bluray disc.

The improved color alone should be obvious at first glance.

Only if you're willing to admit that it's fair for people to claim that they don't see a noticeable improvement from VHS to DVD.

Your story is a little hard to believe.

Even SD television doesn't look as terrible as what you describe
I have to throw in my two cents here. I have both a Blu ray player and a Toshiba XDE upconverting DVD player.

My random viewing and comparisons have shown me that it certainly seems entirely dependent on any particular movie you choose. Some Blu Ray discs are breathtaking, like 2001, THE SEARCHERS, PATTON, etc. Unbelievable.

Others films were not worth the "upgrade" in retrospect...RIO BRAVO, A CHRISTMAS STORY, 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD,THE MIST, the new releases of THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE, CASABLANCA....and all the James Bond films which I regret parting with now. The improvement was negligible at best, and suspect many films depending on all sorts of variables just won't see that great of an improvement to justify replacing a DVD in one's collection. When I bought my Blu Ray player I was ready to trade in all my discs that were available in a Blu Ray counterpart but I rethought that one pretty quickly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.