Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Prices Creeping Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
DVD Prices Creeping Up?

I've noticed at many retailers that the DVD prices for new releases are slowly rising in the last month or so.

Around Christmas time when they were really pushing Blu-Ray, I noticed a lot of new release titles on DVD were selling between $19.99-$22.99. It appears now those prices have gone to $21.99-$26.99.

With the recent announcement that Fox is releasing a bare-bones only DVD version for rental and a sell-through DVD version with the extra features, I suspect they are trying to formulate a stragedy to increase Blu-Ray sales.

The studios are probably finding that since the extras really only appeal to the die-hard movie fans, there is a good chance of getting these people to switch to Blu-Ray if the price is only $4-$5 more than the DVD with the same extras.

Will this model encourage people switch to Blu-Ray for purchasing titles or will people continue to buy fewer movies on DVD or Blu-Ray and just rent them (or download them) as they did in the VHS era?

Last edited by orangerunner; 03-14-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Prices Creeping Up?

I think it has more to do with them wanting you to buy either the DVD or Blu-Ray, not just to get people to switch to Blu-Ray. If they really wanted to switch people to BR they would put the special features on the Blu-Ray releases and make all DVDs virtually bare bones.

I think the reason DVD prices are higher then during the holiday season is just that, it was the holiday season. They want to entice you to buy DVDs as gifts for people so they lower the prices.
Old 03-14-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Regardless of the starting price of DVDs, I think we'll continue to see prices drop in a short amount of time. I never buy a title on release day, instead waiting for the inevitable drop in price.
Old 03-14-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Regardless of the starting price of DVDs, I think we'll continue to see prices drop in a short amount of time. I never buy a title on release day, instead waiting for the inevitable drop in price.
problem is, if you`re into slipsleeves you usually have to buy immediately,
because once the titles drop in price, sleeves are usually long gone.
Old 03-14-09, 10:16 PM

I almost always wait to buy something used these days anyway... usually I can pick them up within a week or two for half the price.
Old 03-14-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey31
I think it has more to do with them wanting you to buy either the DVD or Blu-Ray, not just to get people to switch to Blu-Ray. If they really wanted to switch people to BR they would put the special features on the Blu-Ray releases and make all DVDs virtually bare bones.

I have a feeling the sales of Blu-Ray were well below expectations over the holidays. A lot of money has been spent on trying to push this product so it wouldn't surprise me that they would push the price up on DVD just below the Blu-Ray prices.

Why buy the DVD for $26.99 when the Blu-Ray is only $29.99? They wouldn't want to completely cut out any DVD sales by only releasing a bare-bones version on DVD.

It gives consumers a choice but at the same time making the Blu-Ray a "better buy" in comparison.

Many Joe Six-Packs know how to pirate DVDs or download them from the internet but Blu-Ray has better copy protection and files cannot be shared across the internet very easily because of their size.

I am not into Blu-Ray but I have a feeling they want to find a way to really penetrate the market before it's too late.

Originally Posted by Corey31
I think the reason DVD prices are higher then during the holiday season is just that, it was the holiday season. They want to entice you to buy DVDs as gifts for people so they lower the prices.
This is true but the prices are higher now on new releases than they have been in many years, at least at the retail store level.

Last edited by orangerunner; 03-14-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-15-09, 09:42 AM

The prices certainly seem to be going up, but I'm not convinced it's due to some conspiracy to push Blu. My personal opinion is that revenues are down and the studios are simply trying to recoup some of those dollars. They probably had some bean counters figure out that folks who were willing to pay price X will also be willing to pay price X+3, or whatever. I've also noticed that price cuts are occuring much sooner than in the past. What used to take months can now be measured in weeks.
Old 03-15-09, 09:45 AM

I honestly don't see how the companies or retailers sell anything at those prices. How many people (besides from this board) can afford to go and shell out $20-$30 for 1 DVD/BR. It seems as if though these retailers and movie companies are living in their own world where a recession is non existent, yet, in the real world, not too many people really have jobs that afford them $20-$30 extra per week to spend on a movie when they could go rent it. I think overall sales are dropping on both. I, for one, have really stopped buying dvds and watch how I spend my money nowadays (even though I'm not really struggling.) Although, I have noticed that DD sales/prices were better 2-3 yrs ago than they are today, which makes NO sense at all.
Old 03-15-09, 11:03 AM

The studios need to make more money, as DVD sales wind down. This is a mature medium, after all, and its go-go days are over. (There were some good articles about this recently in the Financial Times.) In the meantime, much of the DVD buying public is not crazy about buying into Blu Ray disc costs, player costs, & HD TV costs when they're perfectly happy with their DVDs and CRTs (guilty as charged!). So the studios are taking a chance that boosting DVD prices will boost their bottom lines. I don't blame them for trying. The risk they're taking, of course, is that they'll end up making even less as value shoppers like me and ordinary recession-shocked movie fans hang onto our dollars more tightly than we used to. My DVD dollars spent have gone way down since the holidays and I see very few deals anymore that motivate me.
Old 03-15-09, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is simply a seasonal phenomenon. DVD prices are always lower during the holidays. Lowering prices during the holidays increases demand substantially whereas the increase in sales is not as pronounced during the rest of the year. I remember everything I bought during Nov-Dec was ridiculously cheap, there were online sales left and right and I doubt prices will be that low until the next holiday season. The prices are now are just the normal prices.
Old 03-15-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I blame Circuit City going out of business. Seriously.
Old 03-15-09, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I gotta agree with you on this. Since it was announced that they were completely going out, Best Buy has not had any form of great deals regarding DVDs.
Old 03-15-09, 01:28 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

I'm about to curtail my DVD Purchases, but it's not because I'm short on funds. (Who Isn't?) No, it's because by the end of the year I'll have over TEN THOUSAND HOURS of TV Programming, Movies and Serials. Needless to say it's going to take some time to watch all of them! I'll keep my eyes on the bargains, and continue to purchase Season Sets for Programs I have, but havn't completed because they havn't released all the episodes yet. (Examples include JAG, Walker:Texas Ranger & Hawaii Five-O) I've been preparing for this Recession for quite some time, and needless to say if there is nothing to do but watch TV I'll be sitting back and doing exactly that. And, I'll be watching THE PROGRAM ONLY, there will be NO Commercials, Pop-Up, Scrolls and Banners to "Butt In" and ruin my evenings. At 7:00 Each evening I will leave the Real World behind and immerse myself in Entertainment.

Last edited by Regulus; 03-15-09 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-15-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Meh I think the prices around where i'm at have stayed the same new releases being around 15.99 to 19.99 depending with two disc's special edition's being 22.99
Old 03-15-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Have to agree with this as well. There are those of us who are lucky enough to have local chains/Mom & Pop DVD/CD stores around other than the big retailers.

With the loss of Circuit City most areas only have either Target, Best Buy and Wally World to choose from on weekly deals.
Old 03-15-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by wd40cloud
I gotta agree with you on this. Since it was announced that they were completely going out, Best Buy has not had any form of great deals regarding DVDs.
Then don't buy from Best Buy, either. I haven't bought anything from them for several months. Restraining your wallet tends to bring out the sales.
Old 03-16-09, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Don't forget in the past the 2 disc dvd was standard but since 2007 that changed and you get lousy artwork on the 2 disc dvds compared to the single disc editions.

I wonder what the price for Watchmen will be when the single disc gets released probably in July?

$16.99?

I got $12 left in my xmas gift card and that won't cover a new release anymore.
Old 03-16-09, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
I almost always wait to buy something used these days anyway... usually I can pick them up within a week or two for half the price.
Same here. If they want to raise their prices on new, I know I'll be able to buy the disc used for half the price within a month.
Old 03-16-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
The prices certainly seem to be going up, but I'm not convinced it's due to some conspiracy to push Blu. My personal opinion is that revenues are down and the studios are simply trying to recoup some of those dollars. They probably had some bean counters figure out that folks who were willing to pay price X will also be willing to pay price X+3, or whatever. I've also noticed that price cuts are occuring much sooner than in the past. What used to take months can now be measured in weeks.
This. Simply the economic times we live in, and inflation.
Old 03-16-09, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

The solution is very simple, really.

Don't buy any movies until they reach what you consider to be the proper price point.

In the meantime, rent or sign them out from your local library. If every consumer did this, the Studio's sales would plummet, and they will bring their prices down.
Old 03-16-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been noticing this trend lately as well. I decided to wait it out if I was going to shop at BB because they always have a title for less the week after it's released, rather than in it's first week. Recently, I discovered that BB will price match Amazon, so BB's higher pricing is no longer an issue for me. I price match it from my iPhone right at the counter and I'm out the door.
Old 03-16-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I still find some okay deals on Amazon.
Old 03-17-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don;t know about the rest of you but they are going to have to a gell of lot more then that to get people to swith over to BR. No one I know has BR. There are a few people I ave talked to at my local used DVD/CD stores and only 1 person I can think of bought one and even he is wondering why he did it. He says he cannot see any difference.

The theory: SACD, DVD-A, etc, etc - look how they have gone. CDs are ging on 30 years now as a primay format and it is not going anywhere.

DVD is enough for the average joe, heck I see dozens of people digging thru bins at the store to get to the .45 used VHS.

So is BR going to be the new cash cow for the studios? perhaps, but I think it will always be a niche market and NEVER be as widely accepted as DVDs.
Old 03-17-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
I don;t know about the rest of you but they are going to have to a gell of lot more then that to get people to swith over to BR. No one I know has BR. There are a few people I ave talked to at my local used DVD/CD stores and only 1 person I can think of bought one and even he is wondering why he did it. He says he cannot see any difference.

The theory: SACD, DVD-A, etc, etc - look how they have gone. CDs are ging on 30 years now as a primay format and it is not going anywhere.

DVD is enough for the average joe, heck I see dozens of people digging thru bins at the store to get to the .45 used VHS.

So is BR going to be the new cash cow for the studios? perhaps, but I think it will always be a niche market and NEVER be as widely accepted as DVDs.

I agree and disagree with parts of this post. I see that there are fewer adopters of Blue Ray than there were at a comparable time in the dvd release period. I for one, already had a dvd player and about 20 dvds by about this time after dvd was introduced, and havent yet gotten a blue ray player. I do know some people with them, but not many. The consensus I have found, is that there is a difference int eh picture quality between blue ray and dvd, but not enough to spend 300 on a new machine when the current one works fine. and can be replaced for less than $50. The big drawback I see for blue ray, is the fact that in order to get the full benefit out of it, you have to have an hdtv. For many people this is a cost that they build into the cost of going to blue ray. When it seems like it costs $1500 to upgrade to blue ray, it is off putting for alot of people. Eventually, as tvs die, that wont be a factor. But dvd had no such obstacle. Do I think that Blue Ray will be around for the long haul? I dont know, but I think some disc format will.
Old 03-17-09, 04:56 PM

with the way the economy is going, do you think studios 5 years down the road will keep pumping money into the BR machine? NO ONE I know has a blu-ray player...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.