DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Life on Mars (US Version) ----> 9/29/2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Life on Mars (US Version) ----> 9/29/2009

Originally Posted by Josh Z
In order to get me to buy this, they'll have to provide an alternate ending to the final episode that isn't THE WORST THING EVER IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION.

Way to piss away everything good about your show in 5 minutes, David Kelley. Great job.
Come on Josh, many many MANY worse endings to shows than this one...
Old 04-03-09, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Two things. I stopped watching halfway through the season cause of my schedule. Was going to jump back in but this ending I'm hearing about seems so frustrating. I'll withhold final judgement, but this show does not look good.

Secondly, Josh, Kelley dropped off the project right way. He did the original pilot, with the first cast but that was changed when Boston Legal got picked up for the fifth season and ABC got the show in return. The producers for October Road ran the show from the new pilot to completion. Kelley just retained credits due to existing deals with ABC.
Old 04-03-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

In order to get me to buy this, they'll have to provide an alternate ending to the final episode that isn't THE WORST THING EVER IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION.

Way to piss away everything good about your show in 5 minutes, David Kelley. Great job.
Wrong....David E. Kelley had zero involvement. He was initially asked to develop the show, but eventually handed it off to the Producers of October Road.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-03-09 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by forceuser13
Secondly, Josh, Kelley dropped off the project right way. He did the original pilot, with the first cast but that was changed when Boston Legal got picked up for the fifth season and ABC got the show in return. The producers for October Road ran the show from the new pilot to completion. Kelley just retained credits due to existing deals with ABC.

I stand corrected on the David E. Kelley point. I thought he was still involved in the show.

Regardless...

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Come on Josh, many many MANY worse endings to shows than this one...
No, there is really no possible ending for this show that could have been worse than the one that aired this week.
Old 04-03-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

My understanding is that the R2 Blu-ray will work here as they are not region coded (still iffy if the extras work). http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....highlight=mars
Old 04-03-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
So now with the show ending, I wanted to bump this for the curious. Here are all the songs that were used in the series:

Episode 2 – The Real Adventures Of The Unreal Sam Tyler
• Matt the Hoople - "All the Way from Memphis" (1973)
That is a great list. Thanks for that. Quick note though, isn't it Mott the Hoople?
Old 04-03-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
From http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/03/...r-alert-l.html:

Doesn't necessarily mean the music will be intact for the DVD set, but I read this with hope.

--THX
Yeah, Ausiello isnt exactly known for his accuracy. Hopefully we will get the original music.
Old 04-03-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
That is a great list. Thanks for that. Quick note though, isn't it Mott the Hoople?
Yes, it is Mott The Hoople.

Such an underrated band, by the way...
Old 04-06-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yes it is...that is a typo. Nice catch!
Old 04-06-09, 10:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it failed in the United States for one big reason; Gene Hunt. DCI Hunt as played by Phil Glenister in the UK worked because he was physically intimidating. You believed that he could do real damage to Sam Tyler (John Simm) and that he could go off at any moment. Here in the US, it looked like Jason O'Mara could have broken the brittle bones of Grandpa Keitel. I would have loved to have seen the pilot with Colm Meaney as Hunt as he could have probably pulled off the intimidation factor against O'Mara. Oh well...I bailed after a few episodes because it was just so unbelievable. I did tune in to the last 10 minutes of the finale and was horrified by the radical/silly change to the BBC series ending.
Old 04-09-09, 05:47 PM

I will definetly get it on Blu-ray Yeah the finale was different but i did not hate it. At least it got closure unlike other shows that get the ax too soon
Old 04-09-09, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I think it failed in the United States for one big reason; Gene Hunt.
Let's not start this again....
Keitel was a much better Gene Hunt..... END OF DISCUSSION!
Old 04-09-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Keitel was NOT a better Gene Hunt. There is only one Hunt and that's Phil Glenister. Keitel's Hunt was too subdued. If he gave half the performance that he gave in Reservoir Dogs, then MAYBE.
Old 04-09-09, 07:09 PM

I don't agree with that, Phil Glenister is beyond over-rated & he mumbles way too much....
Keitel is one of the best actors around & he's the perfect fit for Hunt....
Old 04-09-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Keitel was NOT a better Gene Hunt. There is only one Hunt and that's Phil Glenister.
Agree, but it wasn't just the acting. The UK Hunt got much funnier lines. Overall, the writing for the UK series was much better. That older policewoman was a scream.
Old 04-12-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the first nine episodes and my prevailing thought was, "Meh." I started archiving the episodes, thinking that I might continue. When I heard that they were going to provide an ending with episode 17 due to cancellation, I decided to watch them. I watched seven episodes in one night and found myself enjoying them quite a bit after the rock star episode (#10). I couldn't keep my eyes open any more, so I had to go to bed. The next day, I was eager to leave the office and rush home to watch the finale. I wish I hadn't.

The final 5-10 minutes is the absolute stupidest thing I've ever seen on TV. I can't stop thinking about it and it makes me furious.

Spoiler:

The final "twist" negates everything that happened in the first 16 episodes completely.

1) Not only does 1973 Sam not exist, 2008 Sam doesn't exist. In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy is real in Kansas. Even if you feel that her experience in Oz was all a dream, she is real. Cop Sam Tyler is a non-entity, a product of a computer simulation.

2) It's a computer simulation and yet astronaut Sam's friends and family are present? Idiotic.

3) To get home, Sam has to kiss the girl and get through his Daddy issues? Oh boy.

4) To take the title of the show and make it literal is, to me, a serious insult. It's not just the "I feel like I'm on another planet." No.... For us stupid Americans, they have to literally go to Mars. So asinine.

5) All of the David Bowie references at the end were also inane. I nearly hurled my remote at the TV with the "gene hunt" statement.

With that finale, they screwed up what was a decent show and turned it into utter shit. The BBC version is so vastly superior it's mind-boggling.
Old 04-12-09, 06:43 PM

I agree the ending was horrible but the U.S. version was better in every other way....
Old 04-12-09, 08:18 PM

I'm hoping they shot multiple endings and include them on the set. That way I can choose my own ending instead of the one we got.
Old 04-13-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I agree the ending was horrible but the U.S. version was better in every other way....

In your opinion....
Old 04-13-09, 03:26 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, there is really no possible ending for this show that could have been worse than the one that aired this week.
He could have awoken in the shower.
Old 04-13-09, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with JoshZ and DVDude! I can't think of a TV show with a worse ending, and it moved this DVD set from "definitely will buy on release day" to "might buy if I see it really cheap someday."
Old 04-14-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by MrE
He could have awoken in the shower.
Honestly, even that would have been better.
Old 04-14-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Would have been better if he woke up and was 5 with a freaky ass silver clown at his birthday party.
Old 01-03-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Despite the terrible ending, I enjoyed watching this when it aired (though I hate to be *that guy*, the UK version was superior, IMO). It's $15 at Amazon right now and I'm thinking about picking it up.

Did anybody here get this? I was wondering if all of the music did, in fact, carry over to the DVD set. Also, when it was broadcast, it sure seemed like some of the episodes aired out of order. Just curious as to whether that was the case and, if so, if they are in the correct order on the DVD. Thanks.
Old 01-04-10, 09:50 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Despite the terrible ending, I enjoyed watching this when it aired (though I hate to be *that guy*, the UK version was superior, IMO). It's $15 at Amazon right now and I'm thinking about picking it up.

Did anybody here get this? I was wondering if all of the music did, in fact, carry over to the DVD set. Also, when it was broadcast, it sure seemed like some of the episodes aired out of order. Just curious as to whether that was the case and, if so, if they are in the correct order on the DVD. Thanks.
I can't speak to the music on the DVD (I don't have it), but I did make a list a page back, so feel free to reference it.

And yes, episode #8 and #9 were aired out of order, everything else (as far as I know) we in order.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.