DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Defective Dvd's

Old 02-25-09, 03:00 AM

Defective Dvd's

Hello Everyone,

I am reporting that I got some defective DVD's and now its too late to return them to Blockbuster. The complete first season "The dukes of hazzard".
Not the new one but the old TV show. The video is great, but the sound is terrible,cant even hear the actors talking.

I dont know what I am going to do with them, wondering if there is a place .
that fixes defective dvd's, if not might have to write it off on my taxes.

Also have the complete second season "the dukes of hazzard" same problem like before. The video works great, but the sound is terrible,cant even hear the actors talking.

I have cleaned them, and still the same problem. They don't have any scratches, so if anyone can help me please contact me

I guess ill never buy another "the dukes of hazzard"

I have seen the new ones, and i still like the old ones better
Old 02-25-09, 03:11 AM
Banned

Re: Defective Dvd's

maybe it just has shit quality on it.
Old 02-25-09, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brockisit View Post
I dont know what I am going to do with them, wondering if there is a place .
that fixes defective dvd's,
Like what, they take the bits off them, polish them up, then spread them back out on the disc? How do you think these are going to be repaired?

if not might have to write it off on my taxes.
I'd love to know what you're planning on telling the IRS to justify this.

Also have the complete second season "the dukes of hazzard" same problem like before. The video works great, but the sound is terrible,cant even hear the actors talking.
My best guess is that you have an incorrect audio setting somewhere, either in your DVD player or in your surround sound receiver, if you have one.
Old 02-25-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps it's because those particular sets are in mono, not stereo.
Old 02-25-09, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Perhaps it's because those particular sets are in mono, not stereo.
That's what I'm thinking.
Old 02-25-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if not might have to write it off on my taxes.
I am curious to know why you believe that you can "write off" merchandise on your taxes?
Old 02-25-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Look online for some reviews. See if they report any audio problems.

Try the DVDs in another player/set up. See if the problem migrates.

Is the problem ONLY with the talking? Maybe you're not used to southern talkin'

In a nutshell, before declaring a set defective, be sure to eliminate all other possibilities. If you come to the conclusion that they are defective, write to/call the company that released them and see if they would swap the discs out. There's a great sticky at the top of the Store Forum that lists retailer and studio numbers and such.
Old 02-25-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Look online for some reviews. See if they report any audio problems.
The DVD Talk reviews say the sound is solid. He didn't get defective sets; defects don't show up as just poor sound, and certainly wouldn't be repeated with two box sets of different seasons.

The OP is doing something wrong. If he wants to post details about his setup, I'm sure we can help him. That's assuming he isn't in prison for tax evasion.
Old 02-25-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It sounds like a put-on to me ...
Old 02-25-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
The DVD Talk reviews say the sound is solid. He didn't get defective sets; defects don't show up as just poor sound, and certainly wouldn't be repeated with two box sets of different seasons.

The OP is doing something wrong. If he wants to post details about his setup, I'm sure we can help him. That's assuming he isn't in prison for tax evasion.
Oh, missed that part where he had 2 sets. Sucks to be him.

I hear you can claim your cellmate as a dependent on your taxes.
Old 02-25-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What does the defective DVD own? Just asking...
Old 02-25-09, 05:30 PM

Just remember before you take it anywhere to be "fixed", be courteous and rewind them.
Old 02-25-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
What does the defective DVD own? Just asking...

I also would have accepted: Defective DVD's what?
Old 02-25-09, 08:43 PM

For me it's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being". Bought the dvd way back but just got around to watching it and the 2nd disc (the 2nd half of the movie) doesnt even load in any dvd player! So now Im stuck with only half the movie to watch. It sucks because I really like what I've seen.
Old 02-26-09, 09:45 AM

This whole post has been taking care of and is closed. The company is going to replace all disc, and Im going to get new replaced disc huray....sorry I posted and wasted people's time on this matter.

bye
Old 02-26-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This whole post has been taking care of and is closed. The company is going to replace all disc, and Im going to get new replaced disc huray....sorry I posted and wasted people's time on this matter.

bye
Your problem hasn't been taken care of at all, because the discs aren't defective. Your replacements will be exactly the same as what you have. If you really want to fix your problem, you need to figure out what you have wrong in your settings that is causing the mono audio track to not sound right.

And I'd still really like to know why you think you can deduct DVDs you're unhappy with from your taxes.
Old 02-26-09, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Your problem hasn't been taken care of at all, because the discs aren't defective. Your replacements will be exactly the same as what you have. If you really want to fix your problem, you need to figure out what you have wrong in your settings that is causing the mono audio track to not sound right.

And I'd still really like to know why you think you can deduct DVDs you're unhappy with from your taxes.
I don't know why i said that, and I don't care anymore
Old 02-26-09, 09:00 PM

Here If I use another different DVD lets say not "The Dukes of hazzard" lets say Pirates of the caribeaian" and that DVD sounds great, and a bunch other DVd's That means that all my DVd are defective, and every DVd that I buy from bestbuy is Defective, wow everything is defective, sounds Like I better go back to VHS then, because what your saying is all my DVd's are defective and my settings this long are all messed up. Its ok my whole life is messed up, and I don't really care anymore
Old 02-26-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd goof on you for your grammar and spelling but you're obviously falling to pieces.
Old 02-26-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what your saying is all my DVd's are defective and my settings this long are all messed up.
That's not what I said at all, but since you seem to be under the influence of some sort of mind-altering substance I can see how you can misunderstand simple English.

The audio on the "Dukes of Hazzard" releases are in mono. That means a single channel of audio. Most of your other discs are probably in som ...

I don't really care anymore
Oh, wait. Neither do I.
Old 02-26-09, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I'd goof on you for your grammar and spelling but you're obviously falling to pieces.
Hey wait you must be a teacher then if your so darn stuck on my grammar. Hey teacher can I get a F for class then? I wanna sit in the back of the class with a dumb cap on. I should of never joined this forum. Ever since I joined you guys havent gave me a nice welcome. This forum must be over my head. Maybe I can talk to the admins to remove me, or I could do something wrong and they will kick me hahaha
Old 02-26-09, 10:32 PM

bye
Who is replacing all of your discs? Warner Bros. or Blockbuster?
Old 02-26-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey wait you must be a teacher then if your so darn stuck on my grammar. Hey teacher can I get a F for class then? I wanna sit in the back of the class with a dumb cap on. I should of never joined this forum. Ever since I joined you guys havent gave me a nice welcome. This forum must be over my head. Maybe I can talk to the admins to remove me, or I could do something wrong and they will kick me hahaha
I don't know how to respond to this without getting a suspension.
Old 02-27-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever since I joined you guys havent gave me a nice welcome.
Several of us tried to help, and as you can see I tried to help you with my last post. But then I remembered you said you didn't care any more. Why should we try to help, when you're clearly not that interested?

OK, in the interest of good forum manners. I'll try one more time.

Originally Posted by brockisit
Here If I use another different DVD lets say not "The Dukes of hazzard" lets say Pirates of the caribeaian" and that DVD sounds great, and a bunch other DVd's That means that all my DVd are defective, and every DVd that I buy from bestbuy is Defective, wow everything is defective,
Note that there is a difference between the "Dukes of Hazzard" DVDs and your other discs. Most of your discs are likely in some sort of surround mode, while "Dukes," an older TV show, is in mono. This means there is a single channel of sound. Different devices handle mono differently, and some even have settings for you to tell the device how to handle the mono sound.

If you have that device set wrong, it could cause you problems. I think that's what is happening in your case. You can either give us some more information about your setup (DVD player brand and model, TV, whether you have a surround sound receiver and, if you do, what the brand and model of receiver are and how you have the DVD player connected to it.

Or, you can continue to wallow in your own self-pity and self-destructive snarkiness. I suspect you'll do the latter, but I'm willing to help if you do the former. Ball's in your court, sport.
Old 02-27-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dont sweat it brock.

this forum is tough. but its all tough love! hang in there

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.